Two legal articles on the case against Coventry City Council (1 Viewer)

gregogee

1/2

WHY DID COVENTRY CITY FC’S STATE AID CLAIM FAIL?

This article was first written for and published by LawInSport. Click here to view the original.

In this article, Marc Delehanty analyses and reflects on the recent State aid decision relating to Coventry City FC’s previous stadium, the Ricoh Arena.

Background

The High Court recently handed down judgment in a challenge brought by the owners of Coventry City Football Club ("Coventry”) against the legality of a £14.4m loan that Coventry City Council (the "Council”) provided to the leaseholders of the Ricoh Arena ("ACL”) – the stadium that Coventry used to play its home games at until 2013.

Allegation that the loan was an unlawful subsidy

The claim failed; Hickinbottom J held that provision of the loan was lawful. The action was by way of a judicial review of the decision of the Council – a public body – to make the loan and the main substance to the challenge was that the loan amounted to State aid (i.e., subsidy) within the meaning of Article 107(1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU ("TFEU”). Any such State aid would have had to have been notified to the European Commission in advance, as required by Article 108(3) TFEU.

Essentially, the claim was that a rational private investor in the shoes of the Council would not have made the loan in the amount and on the terms (fixed interest rate of 5% and a 41 year term) agreed with ACL.

Coventry’s stadium-move to the Ricoh Arena

The background to the provision of the loan is the sorry tale of Coventry’s decline following its 2001 relegation from the Premier league (losing to Aston Villa on the final day of the season after taking a two-goal lead).

Before that had happened, Coventry had entered into a joint venture with the Council to develop a new stadium, the Ricoh Arena. The Council was the freeholder of the stadium and ACL, the joint venture vehicle, was the long leaseholder from whom Coventry itself would take a lease. Coventry owned half of ACL but a few years after their 2001 relegation it sold its interest in ACL, encompassing the right to stadium revenues, to relieve financial pressure (see paragraph 9 of the Judgement). Nevertheless, the development of the Ricoh Arena went ahead and Coventry began to play home games there from the 2005-6 season.

Battle for control of the stadium revenues

The dispute over the loan in question was precipitated by Coventry’s ever worsening financial situation leading up to their catastrophic relegation to League One in 2012. The judge found that Coventry "had been seriously mismanaged”. The club’s owners wanted access to the much needed stadium revenues. It was thought that if ACL were in financial difficulty it would weaken ACL’s position and allow the stake in ACL – with the attendant revenues – to be reclaimed a cut price. With this in mind, Coventry went on rent strike from April 2012. This caused acute difficulties to ACL.

The way out for ACL was the loan from its 50% shareholder, the Council. This scuppered the owners’ plan. Ultimately, ACL got judgment for rent arrears and applied to put Coventry into administration. Its assets were sold by the administrator and the club was then put into liquidation. The owners wrote-off a £50m investment. The reconstituted club currently plays its home games in Sixfields Stadium in Northampton (shared with Northampton Town FC).

Dispute over the legality of the loan

Had the owners succeeded, a favourable judgment would have founded the basis for them recovering some of their losses.

However, in finding that the loan did not constitute State aid, Hickinbottom J noted the EU caselaw that private investors can be guided by a longer-term view of profitability. It was not irrational to loan money to ACL despite it failing because on the specific facts of the case, "the failure of [ACL] was temporary, brought on by the refusal of [Coventry] to pay any rent”. The judge also took into account that the Council was not a disinterested investor but an investor with a 50% stake in ACL and so with an interest in ensuring a restructuring of ACL’s business. Although by 2012 the stadium had significantly depreciated in value, he preferred ACL’s valuation of the lease of the stadium.

The judge found that the major driver for the Council was the protection of its commercial interest in ACL; indeed, the owners did not pursue all of their original claims concerning alleged ulterior motives of the Council vis-à-vis the club’s owners.

Commercial lessons from Coventry’s plight

While the judgment necessarily focused on the State aid law argument, in his 46 page ruling, Hickinbottom J clearly sets out the complex financial arrangements that were put in place (and subsequently unravelled) and the commercial manoeuvrings relating to Coventry’s move from Highfield Road stadium and the operation of the Ricoh Arena. The judgment repays reading for anyone interested in the financial structures underpinning a modern football club and the machinations involved in exercising control over its revenues.

A key lesson for those negotiating commercial contracts for football clubs that emerges from the factual background is to craft the terms so as to ensure that the effect of unwelcome contingencies, such as relegation, are taken into account.
Posted: 13.10.2014 at 09:41

original article

gregogee

2/2

[h=2]Coventry City judgment provides State aid guidance for local authorities[/h]Posted by Chris Bryant, Lesley-Anne Avis, Sarah Ward on 08.07.2014
The High Court has issued a judgment offering useful guidance on the application of the Market Economy Investor Principle (“MEIP”) in State aid cases, which will be of particular interest to local authorities and other public bodies looking to protect their investments by way of some form of financial or other assistance.
[h=2]Background[/h]The case concerned a £14.4 million loan made by Coventry City Council (the “Council”) to its 50% subsidiary, Arena Coventry Limited (“ACL”), the long lessee and operator of the arena used by Coventry City Football Club (“CCFC”), at a time when CCFC had not paid rent to ACL in over nine months and ACL was facing insolvency.
The legal challenge to the loan was made by SISU, the owners of CCFC, principally on the basis that it amounted to unlawful State aid. The key issue for the court was whether the Council had acted in accordance with the MEIP (i.e. as a rational private market investor would have done) in granting the loan. Provided this was the case, the loan would not amount to State aid.
[h=2]Consideration of the MEIP[/h]In finding that the Council had acted in accordance with the MEIP, Mr Justice Hickinbottom made a number of noteworthy points of wider application:

• If the transaction in question is a loan by a public authority with a shareholding in the relevant undertaking, then the appropriate comparator for the purposes of the MEIP is not a new incoming private investor but a private investor with a similar shareholding. In this case, the fact that a private investor with no shareholding in ACL would not have made a loan of £14.4 million was irrelevant.

• Not all private investors have the same objectives and consequently a public authority has a wide margin of judgment when making investment decisions. State aid will only be found where it is clear that the relevant transaction would not have been entered into, on the relevant terms, by any rational private market operator in the circumstances of the case. Here, a rational private market operator in the position of the Council might well have considered that the refinancing of ACL on the terms in fact agreed was commercially preferable to allowing ACL to become insolvent.

• Whilst useful, contemporaneous evidence as to whether the MEIP applies must be considered in its broader context. In this case, statements made by the Council to ACL’s bank as to the value of ACL around the time of the loan did not carry great weight as the Council had every reason to play down the company’s true value to the bank.

• It may be too much to expect for independent advice to be obtained as to precisely what a hypothetical private investor in the position of the public body would do. In this case, the Judge was satisfied that Council had obtained advice as to the value of the arena from Pricewaterhouse Coopers some four months prior to granting the loan.

• When assessing whether the interest rate charged on a loan is in accordance with the MEIP, the European Commission’s Communication on the Revision of the Method for Setting the Reference and Discount Rates is “clearly worthy of note” and the Commission and the European Court appear to accord it considerable weight. Here, the rate was in the same range as that set out in the Communication.

• Finally, the fact that a local authority takes into account its political agenda when deciding whether to enter into a transaction will not preclude the application of the MEIP.

Posted under Antitrust & Competition, Real Estate, State Aid,

original article

gregogee

No Points nick!
I've just had these passed on to me after discussing the case with a competition lawyer.
I've just posted them to give all here the chance to see the legal commentary.

Hobo

That one older than a year, what's your point?

The age of the article doesn't alter their potential relevance. A strange quick dismissive stance from someone who always claims to try and bring balance to the debating table. Today you have been sledging threads and trading insults happily speculating on speculation with the usual culprits from both sides. I just wish you would grow a pair and admit you want SISU to win at all costs.

Grendel

The age of the article doesn't alter their potential relevance. A strange quick dismissive stance from someone who always claims to try and bring balance to the debating table. Today you have been sledging threads and trading insults happily speculating on speculation with the usual culprits from both sides. I just wish you would grow a pair and admit you want SISU to win at all costs.

The OP has never posted before.

I'd question that first if I were you - but
I'm not you am I? It's irrelevant and clearly a planted piece of PR from your friends in Town Hall.

martcov

I'm not you am I? It's irrelevant and clearly a planted piece of PR from your friends in Town Hall.

It is a factual report on the decision. This argumentation will have to be overturned if SISU are to win, so it is relevant. It doesn't matter who posted it or why. We know about it and it is just a reminder should anyone have forgotten over a period of time. It will be interesting to see if it gets turned around in court and on what grounds.

wingy

He has many times
Welcome back gregogee

wingy

He hasn't...
He has Nick
many many times and a very balanced chap who was very much against what was happening a couple of years back
The CCC / ACL are no chums of his as I recall but as I say balanced chap

dongonzalos

He has Nick
many many times and a very balanced chap who was very much against what was happening a couple of years back

It's the same user name of someone who did post on here a lot

Grendel

He has Nick

He's made 2,posts

Hobo

it is not a first time posters opinion though is it? They are published articles. That doesn't mean they still don't carry opinion; but they are still worth considering.

Probably worth more consideration, than a lot of the hot air passed on here (especially today) where too often speculation soon gets interpreted as fact.

As for your dismissal of them, you today have again been negative of the journalism in the CET....yet you are quick to quote their articles when it suits your argument.

No you are not me and we don't know each other. So please tell me who are these friends I have in the council? I certainly don't work for them.

However I am proud to have been born in the city and of its cultural heritage. I moved away for ten years and came back. Unlike you I am happy to live here, regardless of who runs the council.

Nick

Administrator
He has Nick
I think it's a similar name to somebody who has.

dongonzalos

it is not a first time posters opinion though is it? They are published articles. That doesn't mean they still don't carry opinion; but they are still worth considering.

Probably worth more consideration, than a lot of the hot air passed on here (especially today) where too often speculation soon gets interpreted as fact.

As for your dismissal of them, you today have again been negative of the journalism in the CET....yet you are quick to quote their articles when it suits your argument.

No you are not me and we don't know each other. So please tell me who are these friends I have in the council? I certainly don't work for them.

However I am proud to have been born in the city and of its cultural heritage. I moved away for ten years and came back. Unlike you I am happy to live here, regardless of who runs the council.

Good post from a man proud of his own City including its football club

torchomatic

Yes, he is an old poster.

grego_gee

Yes tis I!.
Thanks Wingy for the "balanced chap" comment I couldn't wish for a better epitaph!
After being AWOL for months I mistakenly logged on with a wrong Id I must have set up before that I didn't even know I had!
I stopped posting and reading this forum because I grew weary of all the polarisation and unbalanced views - to put it nicely.
Look at the scorn poured on two factual articles that I offered without any personal opinion at all.
in fact they are two separate legal commentaries on the case from two different sources.
They both offer a legal summary (ie fag packet version) of the case on J Hickinbottom's 46 page judgment which is linked from the top of the first page so you can read that if you prefer.
I merely offered for reference and I am still keeping my own views to myself, nothing seems to have changed!

wingy

Yes tis I!.
Thanks Wingy for the "balanced chap" comment I couldn't wish for a better epitaph!
After being AWOL for months I mistakenly logged on with a wrong Id I must have set up before that I didn't even know I had!
I stopped posting and reading this forum because I grew weary of all the polarisation and unbalanced views - to put it nicely.
Look at the scorn poured on two factual articles that I offered without any personal opinion at all.
in fact they are two separate legal commentaries on the case from two different sources.
They both offer a legal summary (ie fag packet version) of the case on J Hickinbottom's 46 page judgment which is linked from the top of the first page so you can read that if you prefer.
I merely offered for reference and I am still keeping my own views to myself, nothing seems to have changed!

The emoticon confirms It:)

Nick

Administrator
Yes tis I!.
I apologise then:) I'll merge the accounts

Users who are viewing this thread