Twitter Rumour - Eastwood off to Palace? (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

It was mooted on rumour pages in the summer. But that's just because anyone who played for Southend and is useful ends up at Palace! I still think he's way of Championship pace, Freedman likes a grafter, and Freddy will go back to Southend with his tail between his legs when they get promoted. If Sturrock will have him. Otherwise, Grays Athletic could do with a forward :p

Sbarcher

Think someone's jumping to conclusions .... Just because he visited the Pearly King and Queen they think he's going to the Palace.....

shmmeee

Gud. He played rubbish on sat and thorny hates him. Super,super Fred... No longer

How can you say that? Barring the mix up with Nimley (which can easily be put down to trying too hard) he showed some real quality. The guy has more skill in his little finger than Sheffers and Bell have had in their joint careers.

rob9872

How can you say that? Barring the mix up with Nimley (which can easily be put down to trying too hard) he showed some real quality. The guy has more skill in his little finger than Sheffers and Bell have had in their joint careers.

... in your opinion ...

I'm sorry shmmeee don't normally have a problem with your posts but I do object to that mate.

Based on what? Sheffers who has performed at this level and higher v Freddie who has NEVER managed to perform at this level.

Why can't we just accept that some people like FE others don't but no need to slag off two of our other players to demonstrate that you think he has some skill.

shmmeee

... in your opinion ...

I'm sorry shmmeee don't normally have a problem with your posts but I do object to that mate.

Based on what? Sheffers who has performed at this level and higher v Freddie who has NEVER managed to perform at this level. (IN YOUR OPINION)

Why can't we just accept that some people like FE others don't but no need to slag off two of our other players to demonstrate that you think he has some skill.

Sheffers has "performed" at a higher level or "played" at a higher level? Besides, it's irrelevant. Marcus Hall has played Premiership football, but I wouldn't have him back now in place of Keogh.

Not slagging off anyone, just don't like the Eastwood hate campaign when the guy has finally seemed to turn a corner. We are not in the position to have the luxury to start slating players because we don't like the cut of their jib.

We need flair going forward, we have all season. Ignoring Nimley, Eastwood is the most likely to provide it (in my opinion - just like everything else I post) otherwise it's Bell and McSheffrey hence the comparison (in hindsight, Baker would have been a more apt comparison than Bell).

I just feel that ROD offers less to our situation and it's likely to be a straight fight between the two if one's going.

rob9872

Surely you have to accept that Sheffers has proved himself at this level where Freddie hasn't even if you believe him more talented?

Grendel

Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh I've had in years. Mcsheffrey scored more goals in one season than eastwood in his whole career with this club. May have a more talented little finger but that's it.

shmmeee

Surely you have to accept that Sheffers has proved himself at this level where Freddie hasn't even if you believe him more talented?

I don't really see past performance as a valid argument. This season I've not been impressed with Sheffers, I feel he loses the ball too much and survives on maybe 4 or 5 halves a season of decent performances. I feel that when he's in the midfield he doesn't track back and needs to be carried. Yes he's our top goalscorer, but 3 goals and 1 assist in 20 appearances isn't anything to write home about from one of our top earners. Platt and Deegan both have better goals to starts averages.

However, it's not about Sheff Vs Eastwood. It's about whether we should have fans on here being so keen to offload a player who obviously has bags of skill and seems to have turned the corner in terms of attitude.

When played up front, Eastwood has an excellent scoring record, as good if not better than Sheff's, and certainly better than ROD's or Platt's. For that reason alone I think it would be foolhardy to write him off.

We need someone for when Nimley or Sheff is having an off day, and Eastwood can do that job.

shmmeee

Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh I've had in years. Mcsheffrey scored more goals in one season than eastwood in his whole career with this club. May have a more talented little finger but that's it.

Eastwood's CCFC goals to starts ratio: 0.23
McSheffery's since returning: 0.22

Perryccfc

Sadly and ultimately, eastwoods skill isn't enough to get us out of this mess, whereas Sheffers ability to produce an end product is!

rob9872

I don't see that it is obvious that he either has bags of skill or has a decent attitude. You point to Sheffers goals (I thought he had 4?) but as people use the excuse for FE Sheffers also has played many of those not up front and in the past few games when played up front he has scored 3 in 4. He also has close to 20 goals in a season when not played through the middle at this level something FE has never got close to. You also say Sheffers is one of our top earners, whilst that is true I believe FE is our top earner.

He shouldn't need his attitude changing he is well paid and if he can't have been motivated to have played for us before then he has been taking the mickey out of you, me and every one of our fans. We can't afford to carry passengers and at this juncture, his wages (imo) would be better served on one or more players rowing in the same direction.

shmmeee

I don't see that it is obvious that he either has bags of skill or has a decent attitude. You point to Sheffers goals (I thought he had 4?) but as people use the excuse for FE Sheffers also has played many of those not up front and in the past few games when played up front he has scored 3 in 4. He also has close to 20 goals in a season when not played through the middle at this level something FE has never got close to. You also say Sheffers is one of our top earners, whilst that is true I believe FE is our top earner.

He shouldn't need his attitude changing he is well paid and if he can't have been motivated to have played for us before then he has been taking the mickey out of you, me and every one of our fans. We can't afford to carry passengers and at this juncture, his wages (imo) would be better served on one or more players rowing in the same direction.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I find Sheffers attitude just as bad, worse considering he's a CCFC idol and supposedly a City fan, but that's personal I guess.

I will point out that Sheffers played in far better and more attacking teams during his last spell than Eastwood has in this, and has had far more support from fans.

I'm not talking about pre-Birmingham McSheffrey anyway, as that's not the guy we have at the club at the moment. Dion Dublin was class in 1997, I wouldn't bring him in now.

Brighton Sky Blue

just seen on twitter that Eastwood ' strongly linked ' with crystal palace? Would be very surprised if it was true to be honest

Quite a few Brighton fans circulating that Michael Owen's due to join them this month-believable? Hell no, but what a thought ;)

JHarding1987

I just wrote a huge response about my thoughts on FE & the damn site timed me out (using a phone). Basically, I can't believe how FE is afforded the luxury he is when he is a selfish, lazy git. No other player has ever enjoyed this on the basis he might do something like FE. No other player has been as consistently frustrating or disappointing as FE. I finally lost patience with him against Scunthorpe last season. He has only reappeared now to put himself in the shop window. Disgrace.

JHarding1987

I don't doubt his skill, but his attitude is shocking. We have been crying out for a goalscorer, but he ain't bothered about us. I'm no Bell fan & Sheff has been disappointing until late, but Bell showed wonderful skill with that pass to Nimely & Sheff was awesome against Boro. FE tackled his own player & went for goal from a stupid angle, when at leart 2 team mates were available & better placed.

kingharvest

What I don't get is why you think he's turned a corner? Cause he came on for 10 mins? Has thorn said he's turned a corner?

How you can even compare FE and shef is beyond me, so many Eastwood apologists out there. He's been shit since Southend, had every chance and never taken them.

I don't know where you've seen this so called talent cause no-one else has. Personally I can't wait to see the back of him

J

Jack Griffin

Freddy, he can say all he wants, posters on here can talk him up all they want, but if he does not score or set up goals then what frigging use is he?

Brutal stats are 18 goals in 81 starts and 42 sub appearances, average, I reckon thats about 1/5th of a goal per 90mins, but he looked cool doing it.

Now check out Deegan... 4 goals in 19 starts and 12 sub appearances, about the same goals per game ratio.

....and then there is Andy Morrrell, 19 goals in 60 starts and 49 sub appearances, about the same as Eastwood, but he cost next to nothing in transfer fees and salary compared to Fredy and put in a shift and a half every time he played.

Go figure which ones offer better value for money and minutes on the pitch!

Last edited by a moderator:

Astute

Not slagging off anyone, just don't like the Eastwood hate campaign when the guy has finally seemed to turn a corner.

:facepalm:

He won't turn a corner at speed though with all that extra weight he is carrying.

We needed him this season. Everyone at the club will have known we are short of players. We are very short of players in his position. So what does he do? He couldn't even be bothered to get fit enough to play. Over half of the season has gone now. Yippeeeeee he managed 10 mins. If he would have taken his job seriously and not taken the p1ss out of our club we would not be where we are now. He would have been the link from midfield to the goal that we have needed all season.

Sheffers is now knocking the ball in the net. He is running past players. We are starting to see a bit of the old Sheffers back. How can you say that Freddie is a better player to have in any way? He has talent that he wastes. It looks as though he is one of them players that when it looks as though they have made it they stop trying. What has he done since he left Southend? When he came to us we wanted him on loan until the end of the season. We were told we could only buy him, not loan him. Was that so we could not see him for what he is and change our minds?

Yes we need Freddy to try his best now, but we have needed that all season. He is over half a season late. He is only going to try his best now to put himself on show to other clubs as his contract ends at the end of the season. He has cost our club millions in transfer fee and wages. We have had nowhere near our monies worth out of him. Let him put himself in the window for other clubs to be interested. He will not be with us next season.

Bye bye freddie, thanks for four call :jerkit:

Sky Blue Sheepy

The guy has more skill in his little finger than Sheffers and Bell have had in their joint careers.
You mean the guy who's scored 3 in 3 home league games + the 1 who's perfect cross setup our third goal, vs the guy who scores a couple of goals early on then drops off for the rest of the season (for pretty much every season he's been with us bar this)

Not sure I agree with you there... He has a good pass and finish admittedly, but it would help if he actually ran!
That said, some good passes on Saturday (though so did Platt, Nimley, Sheffers, Bell, Cranie, Keogh...)

scroobiustom

Personally hope he stays I think Fred is good for us, at least as a squad player, playing the last 15 for Clive Platini's ageing legs.

procdoc

I'm a fan of his ability but he's stole a living at city, purely through lack of desire. If his heart matched his ability he'd be a city hero by now. I will say in his defence that Coleman and Bothroyd didn't use him correctly. He hit a bit of form and got shunted out wide, that's poor management

SkyBlue_Bear83

Freddy Eastwood based on ball control, vision technique is probably the best player in the squad. He lacks work rate, movement and scorers instinct.
Eastwood on Saturday reminded me of Best in his last month at Coventry, it was obvious he was only playing for himself as highlighted by going for goal from an impossible angle rather than squarinig it for a tap in, reminiscent of Best Vs Scunthorpe a few years ago.
People will always point to his goal scoring record but how many games has he played up front last few seasons? Less than 10-15 per season I would guess, besides he brings other qualities to the team. I seem to remember in his first season at Cov he finished with the highest number of assists in the team iirc.
Whilst he is here he is worthy of at least a place on the bench as he is miles ahead of Roy and probably Cody too.

Astute

He is only worth a place in the squad if he is going to put effort in for the team.

Stoppercurtis

shmmeee - We have been saying this for years about Eastwood. Yes he has got nice touches but that aint enough.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to buy him. Based on what criteria have they made that judgement? Thats assuming they have made that decision which I some how doubt

Stopper

Nonleagueherewecome

Sheffers now is twice the player Freddy has ever been, nevermind Sheffers at his peak (which is Player of the Year for a team promoted from this division that season). He's been superb in the last 4-5 games. That's about as many good performances we've had outa Freddy in his entire City career. IMO, of course ;)

Grendel

Sheffers now is twice the player Freddy has ever been, nevermind Sheffers at his peak (which is Player of the Year for a team promoted from this division that season). He's been superb in the last 4-5 games. That's about as many good performances we've had outa Freddy in his entire City career. IMO, of course ;)

I am glad you said that. The adulation he receives I have never understood. When people say he is the most gifted player at the club what is that based on? Certainly not his performances here. Perhaps they are southend fans.

Also saying he is better that rod platt etc is pointless. He should be as he cost a lot more and will be paid a lot more. The fact is he is a big under-achiever.

Also what about morale in the team? It hardly sends a good message that someone can be on a self imposed exile all year and when his contract is nearly up he decides he wants a game. It will not endear him to the squad and that is as critical as his so called ability.

ricohroar

I remember McCallister sending Macca to train at the park because he was unfit once, nice to see you happily forget that and slate Freddy. There is more to the story than him just not being bothered to train and keep fit. He has been handed a couple of chances in his time here ans usually taken them, and scored including the only person to ever score a hatrick here. Then he is dropped or pushed out wide.

Users who are viewing this thread