Turning an assumption on its head (1 Viewer)

Otis

Been a few posts on both here and GMK saying that people will come crawling back to the club and to Northampton if we are doing really well.

Well, I'd like to turn that on its head and ask if people think crowds will start dwindling away if we start doing really badly?

All this bravado about following the City wherever etc. Just wonder if we are languishing in the bottom 3 whether people will still have the same bravado on a very cold wet and windy Tuesday night at home to Carlisle in the middle of Winter.

:thinking about:

I think a few will go at first, but I think the crowds will tail off if we start doing badly. They tail off at the Ricoh. Can't see that playing 33 miles away is going to suddenly make people more determined to go and anymore so than they do when we're actually in Cov.

Anyway, seen a few comments about City fans crawling back to the club for big games, but nowt about what happens if and when we start doing poorly.

Last edited:

wingy

Fair point Otis I'm happy with my estimate of crowds around 3K.regardless and people of my generation know what collective action is and not quite so fickle when being shafted ,be that through employers ,or Banker types who think they can ride roughshod over anything or anybody.

Black6Osprey

With an away allocation of 1200 it doesn't leave much room for anyone to go crawling back.

I don't give a shit if they are doing well once they're gone it's not my team and I don't believe many people will crawl back. Lets face it, not many can be arsed when its at the Ricoh.

Otis

Fair point Otis I'm happy with my estimate of crowds around 3K.regardless and people of my generation know what collective action is and quite so fickle when being shafted ,be that through employers ,or Banker types who think they can ride roughshod over anything or anybody.

Thing that also gets me is this assumption therefore that we are going to do well. That people will come crawling back when we start doing well.

The way things are set up (smaller ground, less fans, disenfranchised fans etc.) points to me that we will do anything but well.

We make midtable that will be a good achievement I would have thought bearing in mind all the crap going on.

Bill Glazier

I can't see many going however well they do. I think it's just beginning to sink in that the club we know has gone. SISU have done a Wimbledon to us.

Otis

With an away allocation of 1200 it doesn't leave much room for anyone to go crawling back.

I don't give a shit if they are doing well once they're gone it's not my team and I don't believe many people will crawl back. Lets face it, not many can be arsed when its at the Ricoh.

Will CCFC be able to dictate how many away fans can be allocated though? Surely the 1,200 is down to Northampton. Can't the City ask for a smaller away contingency if need be? Only problem I could see is how it is all sectioned off I would have thought.

wingy

Thing that also gets me is this assumption therefore that we are going to do well. That people will come crawling back when we start doing well.

The way things are set up (smaller ground, less fans, disenfranchised fans etc.) points to me that we will do anything but well.

We make midtable that will be a good achievement I would have thought bearing in mind all the crap going on.
I agree what Is that confidence based on ,blind optimism which is laudable and we can all empathise with that ,but as I say once I'm out I'm out ,only when they're back would I consider It and I doubt that scenario is likely .We may all have moved on once this is resolved one way or another.

hill83

I imagine it will be the same as always just about 10k less overall. If we go on a good run the crowds will rise, bad run the crowds will dip.
The main difference will be the dip will drop us to an embarrassing amount.

Otis

It is blind optimism.

Despite what Pressley will say, you have to think the morale in the camp will not be high with all the off field nonsense going on.

I wish all the players had the bottle to all ask to go on the transfer list. Think that would have the desired effect.

Not holding my breath though. :whistle:

wingy

It is blind optimism.

Despite what Pressley will say, you have to think the morale in the camp will not be high with all the off field nonsense going on.

I wish all the players had the bottle to all ask to go on the transfer list. Think that would have the desired effect.

Not holding my breath though. :whistle:

The only way I can see them taking any legit action and still get paid would be to get 4 players sent off every game ,then Its null and void I believe .Of course that may produce an unexpected flipside where the league dispensate and direct refs to not send any of ours off ,then up the table we go,kicking lumps all the way to the top.:p

Sky Blue Pete

That's my fear on top of everything else that anyone who could command any kind of transfer fee will disappear in the next 4 weeks and we will still be in an embargo. It's is absolutely soul destroying watching your club be taken from you!

The lows we have had since that day at Villa Park that we thought would be the lowest point we will look back at and wish we were at that level again. Can see us playing in the conference in 2 years. Probably in Northampton with a new 10 year plan in place to build a stadium somewhere near Coventry and Tim Fisher's replacement still blaming everyone but his company for the ills of ccfc

Astute

Will CCFC be able to dictate how many away fans can be allocated though? Surely the 1,200 is down to Northampton. Can't the City ask for a smaller away contingency if need be? Only problem I could see is how it is all sectioned off I would have thought.

SISU may need to restrict the away support to a couple of hundred. They won't want the away support to be bigger than the home support.

Paxman II

It's a bit of a conundrum this. They may well do poorly and fewer fans will go but equally it might just be without all that added pressure we seem to suffer from normally at Coventry City we might just have that 'I don't care, what we got to lose' spirit among the players? Afterall they each have a duty to themselves to play their way out of any trouble and be sure to catch the eye of other clubs and get away from the madhouse know currently as Coventry City as everything there has gone cobblers. ;)

wingy

It's a bit of a conundrum this. They may well do poorly and fewer fans will go but equally it might just be without all that added pressure we seem to suffer from normally at Coventry City we might just have that 'I don't care, what we got to lose' spirit among the players? Afterall they each have a duty to themselves to play their way out of any trouble and be sure to catch the eye of other clubs and get away from the madhouse know currently as Coventry City as everything there has gone cobblers. ;)

You've got a great handle on Trench psychology there Paxman.:thinking about:

dongonzalos

Fair point Otis I'm happy with my estimate of crowds around 3K.regardless and people of my generation know what collective action is and not quite so fickle when being shafted ,be that through employers ,or Banker types who think they can ride roughshod over anything or anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread