Transfer targets (21 Viewers)

Marty

If people are suggesting De Gea, I'll throw Marcin Bulka in. Fuck it, why not?

CoventryUSA

My latest MLS suggestion......Julián Carranza.

His contract expires this winter and has been purposely letting it run down. Offers came in January from Werder Bremen, Ipswich, and Mainz, but he declined. Not sure if he just didn't fancy those clubs or if he is just dead set on having freedom of movement this winter.

Former Argentine Youth International out of Banfield's academy. Originally came to MLS at 19 with Inter Miami. However, he failed to live up to expectations. Pre-Messi, Miami was an absolute shit show and a terribly run organization. When they ran into roster compliance issues, Miami shipped him off to Philadelphia.

Since the move, he has thrived for the Philadelphia Union. Out of any MLS team, they remind me the most of how Robins' teams play. They play fast and direct. Also, a good pressing team without overdoing it.

Carranza is their best attacking player. Incredible two-way ability. Absolute menace in his defensive responsibilities and has become lethal the last couple of years in finishing chances. Would be a really good replacement for Matty Godden.

Would he come to Coventry? Who knows. But he will certainly be available this summer if a club wants to buy out those last six months on his contract or sign him to a pre-contract and wait until January.

1712263878147.png

Skybluedownunder

Rudoni
Mcnally - I know not left sided
Dolan or random European?
Striker unknown -
LB - Not sure on this burrows - a MVE type be perfect. Don't think we will recruit here unless something pops up
CM - Another real dynamo - compliment sheaf/eccles/torp

A left sided suggestion for centre back could be that Eiran Cashin from Derby who’s highly rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

GK is so low down the priority that it’s a position we probably won’t even look at for another year.

We’re short in midfield, at CM, AM and out wide going into the summer. We will need 1 or 2 CBs if Lati leave. Possibly a LB if JDS or Bidwell leaves. Finally, with Godden likely to leave, we need a striker.

That’s 5-6 signings we actually need to make - Collins is good enough to get us to the playoffs.

We need a new defensive midfielder, maybe even two. Need to be providing for a replacement for Sheaf whether he goes or not and maybe some cover.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

David O'Day

This Burroughs as a full back thing, has anyone seen him play there? He was a midfielder that moved to wing back in the 1st team?

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

We need a new defensive midfielder, maybe even two. Need to be providing for a replacement for Sheaf whether he goes or not and maybe some cover.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Two if Sheaf goes, definitely. In my view, we need a midfielder who’s a bit more inventive on the ball. Against the better teams in our division, we’ve struggled to break down teams.

We still haven’t replaced Hamer and if can get close to his output last season, that’s the big difference where we’re at now and where we want to be. Defence needs to be improved on but with our defenders being in their early 20s, they should improve with experience.

In Simms and Wright, we have gone and improved Gyokeres’ output.

This season, all our CMs (Eccles, Sheaf, Torp, Kelly and Allen) and AMs (Palmer and COH) have got 23 goal involvements. Compare that to Hamer’s 21 goal involvements last season.

Last edited:

Tea & Busquets

Alternatively we could fix our midfield by getting the American duo of Gianluca Busio and Tanner Tessman from Venezia, both will still only be 22 by summer, and with contracts expiring next summer we could tempt Venezia to cash in with a decent offer. Both have been integral players in great form this season, being eyed up by serie a and championship clubs. Continuing the USA/Concacaf signings could prove fruitful.

Saddlebrains

I've been told to expect a bigger churn than we thought there would be in the summer

Which surprises me i must admit. Robins clearly isnt happy with some aspects of the squad if thats the case

edgy

I've been told to expect a bigger churn than we thought there would be in the summer

Which surprises me i must admit. Robins clearly isnt happy with some aspects of the squad if thats the case

Robins said himself a few days ago something along the lines of - "won't be the scale of last summer but won't be insignificant either"

AFCCOVENTRY

These players, mostly squad players will be put the door potentially

Moore
Wilson
Binks
Kelly
CoH
Allen
Godden
Tavares

If we don’t get promoted Prem/ocerseas teams might be after:

Lati
Sheaf
Simms
Wright

So yes, will be another turnover this summer.

Saddlebrains

Concerns me in a way though

The pitch debacle

The high turnover last year leading to a slow start again

We have to start a season well if we want to push for a proper promotion campaign. Cant start giving teams 15 point head starts

edgy

Moore
Wilson
Binks
Kelly
CoH
Allen
Godden
Tavares

Lati
Sheaf
Simms
Wright

Can't see Simms or Wright being sold this summer unless something bigger than Gyokeres' fee is offered. Both their values will increase significantly if they replicate/better this season's return, next season. King will know that a quick profit flip on them would be outweighed by another season of them two approaching 20 goals each, pushing us further up the table.

Mucca Mad Boys

Well, as good as this season has been, our record against the top half teams has been below par. Let’s be honest.

Moore
Wilson
Binks
Kelly
CoH
Allen
Godden
Tavares

Lati
Sheaf
Simms
Wright

To add to this, you could probably see Bidwell or Palmer leaving. Both in their final year of contract, have been on the rumour mill and probably players we wouldn’t renew their contracts.

Both are good players but Bidwell will be 32 and KP 28 and is either player someone you’d keep in the Prem?

Flying Fokker

Well, as good as this season has been, our record against the top half teams has been below par. Let’s be honest.

To add to this, you could probably see Bidwell or Palmer leaving. Both in their final year of contract, have been on the rumour mill and probably players we wouldn’t renew their contracts.

Both are good players but Bidwell will be 32 and KP 28 and is either player someone you’d keep in the Prem?

Not renew Palmer’s? A bit of a miss if we don’t. He’s having a very good season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Concerns me in a way though

The pitch debacle

The high turnover last year leading to a slow start again

We have to start a season well if we want to push for a proper promotion campaign. Cant start giving teams 15 point head starts

This is probably an overreaction. Next season we will have the same core of players and whilst there’ll be more ‘churn’ than expected… it’s not on the same scale as last season.

This season was a root and branch rebuild. Next season we need to add quality - we’re still 2 players ‘net’ down from last season (incl Torp - the original quote said 3).

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Not renew Palmer’s? A bit of a miss if we don’t. He’s having a very good season.
I don’t think we will, he’ll probably want a multi year deal and with our aspirations, he probably wouldn’t fit into the bigger picture.

As good as he has been, his output it is 3 goals and 7 (4 in FA Cup) assists which isn’t amazing.

Mucca Mad Boys

It would be crazy to let him go on a free. He's one if the most talented players in the squad and we are starting to see him fulfil that potential.
No one said anything about letting him go on a free. You can sell players…

Whenever we talk on threads about our squad, you (and others) talk as if our midfield is amazing. All of our CMs and AMs have only just surpassed Hamer’s goal involvements from last season - every single one.

Looking at goals, we’ve replaced Gyokeres output, we added goals with Sakamoto and EMC. Defensively, we need improvement as we’ve kept 3 CS in 2024. The most glaring area for improvement is finding away to replace Hamer’s output to the team.

Hertsccfc

No one said anything about letting him go on a free. You can sell players…

Whenever we talk on threads about our squad, you (and others) talk as if our midfield is amazing. All of our CMs and AMs have only just surpassed Hamer’s goal involvements from last season - every single one.

Looking at goals, we’ve replaced Gyokeres output, we added goals with Sakamoto and EMC. Defensively, we need improvement as we’ve kept 3 CS in 2024. The most glaring area for improvement is finding away to replace Hamer’s output to the team.
You blamed Simms lack of goals on the midfield, so how come they get no credit now he is scoring? I guess nothing will change your opinion.

Mucca Mad Boys

You blamed Simms lack of goals on the midfield, so how come they get no credit now he is scoring? I guess nothing will change your opinion.

Have a look at who assisted the goals. In our last 15 league goals, our top assister has been MVE. Only 2 have been assisted by midfielders.

In your view, what areas do we need to improve to be a nailed on playoff team that could challenge for automatics next season?

covcity4life

Have a look at who assisted the goals. In our last 15 league goals, our top assister has been MVE. Only 2 have been assisted by midfielders.

In your view, what areas do we need to improve to be a nailed on playoff team that could challenge for automatics next season?
Important to remember secondary assists like they have in ice hockey.

Sometimes Palmer makes the pass directly before the assist. He is having more of an Impact than 4g 7a

Tomh111

If we were creating through midfield and not through wide players, people would be criticising the wide players.

We are going to score a finite amount of goals in a season, and we have changed how we are doing that between last season and this.

Last season was fairly 1 dimensional to be honest, exciting and effective, but 1 dimensional. It was quick transition from hamer to Gyokeres in space.

This year the team has more balance, but we are looking to sit our midfielders to protect the defence more, play through the midfield and out to advanced wide players. So we wouldn't expect our midfield to be providing the number of assists that they did last year.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Important to remember secondary assists like they have in ice hockey.

Sometimes Palmer makes the pass directly before the assist. He is having more of an Impact than 4g 7a

I don’t disagree on the secondary assists point.

The point I am making is that the statistical output of our midfield has been disappointing - whichever way you cut it. Especially when we have people on this forum that said we don’t miss Hamer and some going as far to say Hamer wouldn’t suit playing in our formation. To my mind, that was delusional.

Hamer got 21 goals and assists in the league last season. Our 7 CM and AMs have 23 combined. Bearing in mind that with the exception of Torp, the other 6 players were with us last season too (KP and Allen down from last season in goals). It’s the most obvious room for improvement.

For comparison, Gyokeres had 34 goals and assists, Simms and Wright combined have 43 between them.

shmmeee

I don’t disagree on the secondary assists point.

The point I am making is that the statistical output of our midfield has been disappointing - whichever way you cut it. Especially when we have people on this forum that said we don’t miss Hamer and some going as far to say Hamer wouldn’t suit playing in our formation. To my mind, that was delusional.

Hamer got 21 goals and assists in the league last season. Our 7 CM and AMs have 23 combined. Bearing in mind that with the exception of Torp, the other 6 players were with us last season too (KP and Allen down from last season in goals). It’s the most obvious room for improvement.

For comparison, Gyokeres had 34 goals and assists, Simms and Wright combined have 43 between them.

Worth noting tho that we’re playing with an extra striker who is going to take the lions share of those assists. If you’re counting MvE on the right wing or Sakamoto, shouldn’t you count Wright on the left?

Deity

It all depends on your view of significant.

5 or 6 players is significant in a playing squad of 18-20.

I think we all expect at least that number so no real surprises.

covcity4life

I doubt it will be newbies being moved on.

Godden
Allen
Moore
Tavares
O hare

Maybe binks not being renewed.

6-7 coming in is about right imo

Mucca Mad Boys

Worth noting tho that we’re playing with an extra striker who is going to take the lions share of those assists. If you’re counting MvE on the right wing or Sakamoto, shouldn’t you count Wright on the left?

Why would he take the lion share of assists because he’s a striker?

The point is that we’ve beat the output achieved by Gyokeres but not Hamer. If we had a an AM and CM who contribute 20-25 goal involvements, that’s fine.

The concept of ‘Moneyball’ (the BHA and Brentford approaches) is that you need to do what you can statistically improve your team (or at least match).

Overall, we have a ‘stronger’ squad than last season but it’s equally fair to say that we really need to improve our output from the central midfielders and AMs.

shmmeee

Why would he take the lion share of assists because he’s a striker?

The point is that we’ve beat the output achieved by Gyokeres but not Hamer. If we had a an AM and CM who contribute 20-25 goal involvements, that’s fine.

The concept of ‘Moneyball’ (the BHA and Brentford approaches) is that you need to do what you can statistically improve your team (or at least match).

Overall, we have a ‘stronger’ squad than last season but it’s equally fair to say that we really need to improve our output from the central midfielders and AMs.

Because he’s taking the place of a midfielder and playing further up the pitch? I mean he has taken the lions share, he’s our top assister, so not sure “why” is relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread