Transfer targets (4 Viewers)

mmttww

Loans are a critical part of life in the Championship.

Burnley won the league and had 6 loans. Sheff Utd had 4, Middlesbrough had 6.

And a lot of those were some of the best players in those teams.
I'd guess a lot of those were loans we'd not be able to afford so I don't know if that's a fair comparison. The only loans we had which played much were defenders. Feel like a loan fee / wages for an attacking player good enough to start in a promotion chasing club in this league isn't one we could afford, esp. not more than one. It's dead money if you don't go up.

Batu1969

Can any ITKs tell us why Robins isn’t bringing onboard players with the revenue freed from the salary commitments to the outgoing players AND the money available from season ticket sales?

Or has Citizen Doug said Robins can’t have coin till Vik is sold?

Samo

He’ll be trying

Of course he will.
Reading these threads, you'd think it was as simple as a manager saying ''that one please'' and the player, agent and selling club all saying 'Yay' in unison. 🤷‍♂️

San Francisco

Can any ITKs tell us why Robins isn’t bringing onboard players with the revenue freed from the salary commitments to the outgoing players AND the money available from season ticket sales?

Doug doesn't have any money. That's why he's waiting for Vik to be sold before giving Robins a budget.

Samo

Doug doesn't have any money. That's why he's waiting for Vik to be sold before giving Robins a budget.

If that were true, what would have happened if, for example, Vik had broken his leg? Are you suggesting we would have released 11 players and signed none?

Hertsccfc

Loans are a critical part of life in the Championship.

Burnley won the league and had 6 loans. Sheff Utd had 4, Middlesbrough had 6.

And a lot of those were some of the best players in those teams.
I agree. Most of our best players in recent years have been loan players and we have benefitted enormously from their contributions. Imagine if we hadn't loaned players like Gyokeres, O'Hare, Doyle and McNally. Didn't Sheaf also start as a loan?

It's a question of balance but these sort of players attached to Premier League clubs bring a level of quality that we would rarely find otherwise. I am much happier us using loans than spending good money on players like Waghorn, Kane and Dacosta.

San Francisco

By no money I don't literally mean penniless. More he doesn't have anywhere near the funds to realise his ambitions.

If that were true, what would have happened if, for example, Vik had broken his leg? Are you suggesting we would have released 11 players and signed none?

We'd have been fucked, yes.

San Francisco

Your talking bollocks mate.

Half of those 11 were loans. The rest were deadwood needing to be moved on anyway. If Vik broke his leg and didn't get sold said players would've been replaced with more deadwood Hilsner/Kastaneer types and loans, not the multi-million pound players we need to compete.

Samo

Half of those 11 were loans. The rest were deadwood needing to be moved on anyway. If Vik broke his leg and didn't get sold said players would've been replaced with more deadwood Hilsner/Kastaneer types and loans, not the multi-million pound players we need to compete.

So we do have some money then :rolleyes:

Samo

That’s the million $ question, and why i don’t trust the man. He has no experience within football and has bought a football club with no assets

Yeah I get the worry, but, unless he's tidying up the club for a bigger buyer, why come in and make promises about top six finishes if he's got no money and it will only lead to unrest? Do we really know how wealthy he is? Does anyone really know that about anyone?

Saddlebrains

Why on earth did he buy the club then?

I mean I did hear something. Pub talk though so even I didn't believe it, but an interesting theory someone was shouting in the Craven as 'my sister works for the club'

Sisu owed him money. Couldn't afford to pay him. Here's the club. He converts the debt into shares that he owns.

As I say, even I thought it was far fetched

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah I get the worry, but, unless he's tidying up the club for a bigger buyer, why come in and make promises about top six finishes if he's got no money and it will only lead to unrest? Do we really know how wealthy he is? Does anyone really know that about anyone?
Tidying up for a bigger buyer is the only explanation that makes sense.

Mike Ashley is the only person with the background and crucially the infrastructure (the stadium) that would make sense. And who knows whether he’s interested

KenilworthSkyBlue

Doubtful Doug has enough to be consistently challenging the top 6 as he promised.

We’re literally no better off than when we had SISU.

Fundamentally we can't really make a proper assessment on that until the end of the window.

The lack of activity bar signing one player is obviously frustrating given the rebuild required but it's premature to be speculating without really anything to go on.

CCFCSteve

I haven’t got a clue but it’s likely to be as simple as Robins knowing final budget. Why commit to a couple of lesser players now if we might be able to sign better ones if we squeeze more from the Vik deal. An extra couple of million might well mean we are able to sign three far better free transfers/squad players, with the extra cash going on higher salaries.

Last edited:

South West Sky Blue

I've thought the same myself, however I believe that players whose contracts run out on 30th June, still get paid for the month of July (unless they find new employment elsewhere). I'm sure I didn't make that up and it's standard practise!
Therefore we may not feel any financial benefit of releasing so many players until August.

RoboCCFC90

Doubtful Doug has enough to be consistently challenging the top 6 as he promised.

We’re literally no better off than when we had SISU.

I assume with this statement you are referring to the budget sense, not an overall sense.

As soon as Doug arrived, him and Robins have stated that things would continue to be done incrementally and they wouldn't spend X millions on players.

It's no surprise really.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I assume with this statement you are referring to the budget sense, not an overall sense.

As soon as Doug arrived, him and Robins have stated that things would continue to be done incrementally and they wouldn't spend X millions on players.

It's no surprise really.
Im not asking for millions - im asking to compete with the top 6. Doug said this is what he aims to do.

we have a licence agreement for 5 years (sounds similar)

in league two and the winning league one season, we got our work done early. We need 11/12 players to be in and in settled by August 5th. We go to Portugal next week. It’ll be 17th by the time they return to Ryton so I’d guess not much will be done before then.

it seems as though we’re waiting for Gyokeres to go before we do anything, and we seem to be holding out for more money which is fine - but if we don’t buy pro-actively then we’re just wasting time

we don’t have a kit or a kit sponsor and he’s clearly overestimated the pull of the corporate offerings.

RoboCCFC90

Im not asking for millions - im asking to compete with the top 6. Doug said this is what he aims to do.

in league two and the winning league one season, we got our work done early. We need 11/12 players to be in and in settled by August 5th. We go to Portugal next week. It’ll be 17th by the time they return to Ryton so I’d guess not much will be done before then.

it seems as though we’re waiting for Gyokeres to go before we do anything, and we seem to be holding out for more money which is fine - but if we don’t buy pro-actively then we’re just wasting time

we don’t have a kit or a kit sponsor and he’s clearly overestimated the pull of the corporate offerings.

How much do you believe Doug needs to invest to take us into the top six?

11/12 players? We don't need that many IMO, but I agree we need players in ASAP, I am sure the club are working on it and not sat on their hands.

If Vik leaves that will be a pivotal point in our window, if Vik stays then great, it's not easy to replace a goal score who also contributes with assists and had 30+ goal contributions last season.

We don't have a kit? Says who?

KenilworthSkyBlue

This isn't really a great comparison. Fundamentally it was far easier to sign players in L1/L2.

We had a top 8 budget in L1/L2 and our stature within each division was greater - and as such we had far more pull than we do currently.

napolimp

Having our own players which we then sell on for a profit so we can continue to strengthen is a much better alternative to gambling on loans every year that make us nothing financially, yes.

Yes it is, but my reply was to a post saying we can't replace large parts of our squad every year, and my point is that you'd have to either way. As you have just described above.

As I've also pointed out, you have to have the up front capital and talented recruitment team to carry out that model.

Users who are viewing this thread