Transfer targets (14 Viewers)

mark82

They probably looked at the Thomas sale as £2m is good business. Didn’t really hear him linked elsewhere and they have a lot of centre backs, I think we paid a premium there personally, he’d have likely have gone cheaper elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like with Simms, very much doubt we've paid £2m up front.

Matt smith

They probably looked at the Thomas sale as £2m is good business. Didn’t really hear him linked elsewhere and they have a lot of centre backs, I think we paid a premium there personally, he’d have likely have gone cheaper elsewhere

How do you know he would have gone Chester elsewhere?

let’s move on from McNally he’s good but Thomas will be just as good, especially in the second season

Skybluedownunder

How do you know he would have gone Chester elsewhere?

let’s move on from McNally he’s good but Thomas will be just as good, especially in the second season

Based on his value it was showing on multiple websites such as Transfermarkt etc, obviously taken with a pinch of salt a lot of the time but all those websites had him listed very low

Sky Blue Harry H

Burnley have definitely done McNally out of his preferred move. Despite what the clueless bookies think there is no way Ipswich finish higher than us. With the quality we're bringing in I'm fully expecting to be in the top 6 again.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Love our signings, but there has been a lot of turnover in our defence and that may take time to settle/gel. At the moment I'd say we'd be looking at mid-table at best (if Gus leaves), but obviously there are likely to be more signings, so will adjust expectations accordingly. Can't expect all of our overseas incomings to hit the ground running. If Gus goes, I'm expecting fun this season, but a more sustained challenge next season. Who knows, but we're all looking forward to next season, regardless !!

TomRad85

Kitching would soften the blow of not getting McNally. I’d be happy with our defence then.
Yeh same. I guess for many the thinking was McNally would take Fadz out the middle eventually but no reason one of the others can't do that in time.

TomRad85

Love our signings, but there has been a lot of turnover in our defence and that may take time to settle/gel. At the moment I'd say we'd be looking at mid-table at best (if Gus leaves), but obviously there are likely to be more signings, so will adjust expectations accordingly. Can't expect all of our overseas incomings to hit the ground running. If Gus goes, I'm expecting fun this season, but a more sustained challenge next season. Who knows, but we're all looking forward to next season, regardless !!
I'm going off Gus staying as he's currently still here. I've had a look at the business of the other clubs and not many are stronger than last season. Top 6 has to be the aim.
Agree with you on the defence, might take a few games but individually they are good players so they'll figure it out.

Ccfcisparks

Yeh same. I guess for many the thinking was McNally would take Fadz out the middle eventually but no reason one of the others can't do that in time.

One thing I don’t get is balking at a loan for McNally, but taking Binks is ok. Makes me think something is in line for Binks on a permenant, even just a gentleman’s agreement

Balli001

One thing I don’t get is balking at a loan for McNally, but taking Binks is ok. Makes me think something is in line for Binks on a permenant, even just a gentleman’s agreement
Well we do already have 2 right sided centre halfs. We have just loaned a left footer

Manchester_sky_blue

Loans aren't free ya know. Having had a successful season with us McNally's stock has risen, Burnley are likely wanting a chunky up front loan free and a high percentage/ all of his wages covered. It may just simply have been that the numbers for Bink's made more financial sense.

Manchester_sky_blue

Last season though we had no option. This season there is no chance we are loaning 2 for the same position on the left side
You loan to fill the gaps. If there are no LCBs out there on a perm that fit our wishlist and budget then I see no reason why we wouldn't loan 2. I agree, in an ideal world you'd want your own player to develop but it doesn't always work out like that.

I also disagree that we had no choice but to loan McNally and Doyle last season, there would have been players we could have signed permanently for those positions it was just that the club deemed loaning 2 CBs the better option

Balli001

You loan to fill the gaps. If there are no LCBs out there on a perm that fit our wishlist and budget then I see no reason why we wouldn't loan 2. I agree, in an ideal world you'd want your own player to develop but it doesn't always work out like that.

I also disagree that we had no choice but to loan McNally and Doyle last season, there would have been players we could have signed permanently for those positions it was just that the club deemed loaning 2 CBs the better option
We had zero budget. We signed maguire as proof of that. I just don't see us this window signing 2 players for the same position on loan.

Brighton Sky Blue

To be honest I’d have taken McNally again this season even if just a loan. Very good signing for Ipswich if that is where he’s headed.

Ccfcisparks

Yes, but also a known quantity who already fits in here and can improve further.
I don't see the us improving him further as a benefit if he can go back to Burnley and they charge us more. I'm convinced we can build a permenant back line thats just as good as what it could be with a loan Mcnally in there.

Grendel

I would much prefer a younger , hungry player from abroad or loanee than someone on a big wage . Doesn't seem to be part of our plan

It’s not in our plan as we can’t pay big wages to that extent

Brighton Sky Blue

True but still leaves us having to recruit 3 more center backs in a year when fadz also no doubt leaves
Well we’re having to pretty much recruit 3 strikers in this window too. Doyle and McNally were both in strong form, we were never really going to get Doyle back but the latter would have been nice.

Hopefully a permanent CB is in the pipeline this window if that’s our sticking point.

Users who are viewing this thread