Transfer targets (16 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

Lose to bristol city tonight and it’s gonna explode 😂

Think it will be tricky, but Saka and O'Hare back in, a raucous Singers Corner and I think we'll be fine. Having seen Torp taking corners, I think we might score a few more from set pieces when/if he breaks through as a regular.

procdoc

I genuinely can’t believe that people think Oscar Bobb is signing for us. It’s like when Slowpoke suggested Udogie was ditching Spurs in favour of coming to us 😂 Do Cov fans never watch prem games? Must be a wind-up, more shithousery on this forum than in Jamie Vardy’s goal celebrations.

Oscar Bobb has been one of Man City’s best young talents this season, I don’t like to put us down but he is genuinely wayyyyy too good for a team like us.
Only one person believes it and that’s the person who made up the rumour and has since disappeared

Happy_Martian

Can we have a "Welcome..... " post from Cov Twitter Admin soon ?

Starting to get a little antsy with the lack of declared activity. Even a "We tried but failed to get" would be something.

skybluecam

We definitely need cover esp. wide right, but if Wright is a 'wide player', so is Simms, on the left at least.
He’s not though.

Wright plays the wide role very effectively. Simms has only looked decent there for 10 minutes or so when chasing a game against a tired fullback.

torchomatic

Preston away , the 1st time, iirc , we played the 433 , Simms destroyed their full backs from wide right and then wide left , looked every bit a strong , fast winger
Yes, he did. We were at the game and he was immense. He's shown flashes of that in a few other games since too.

Happy_Martian

1706607625965.png

and one of the seven replies....

1706607676145.png

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

I genuinely can’t believe that people think Oscar Bobb is signing for us. It’s like when Slowpoke suggested Udogie was ditching Spurs in favour of coming to us 😂 Do Cov fans never watch prem games? Must be a wind-up, more shithousery on this forum than in Jamie Vardy’s goal celebrations.

Oscar Bobb has been one of Man City’s best young talents this season, I don’t like to put us down but he is genuinely wayyyyy too good for a team like us.
I take it you’re aware of wind ups?

Hobo

Why does he look useless elsewhere then? 😂
Simms shows some great qualities, has strength and pace and can be a real handful for defenders. He also creates space for other players.

When it comes to his pace it is not instant, it takes two or three strides for him to get up and running. He looks more of a threat when he is running in behind defenders just inside their half rather than pouncing on something on the edge of the penalty area.

His biggest weakness is his first touch it is so erratic. It really does need to be worked on.

I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed when we signed him. But I can see the potential and why the club thought he could be a good fit. He offers something different to what we have had for years as a leader of the line.

Mark Robins rightly really stuck by defenders at the start and gave the new unit time to gel. He now needs to do it with the front three, Wright , Simms and Sakamoto. They need games now as a unit. Godden still has a role to play. Works really hard but just hasn't got the pace to threaten defences anymore. In fact he needs Simms and O'Hares presence now to make him a threat in the box.

slowpoke

Your assessment is very accurate but his first touch as you say is poor, that’s a skill and if it’s poor it’s likely to stay poor and there’s little choice of making it in the prem should we get there first touch is vital there.

Cally Fedora

Well lets run through shall w

Tavares is nowhere near the level
Palmer and Simms are not wide players at all

We have Tats and Wright for them positions and thats it.
Crikey, yeah, let’s run through that. On your basis I’d say we need a LB, RB, CM x 2 and a CF. Realistic? Of course not. These are professional footballers and can reasonably be expected to operate 10 yards away from their preferred position. Is Tavares Champ standard - probably not. Would we basically concede the game if we had to play him - of course not. Palmer can’t play wide? But we seemed to beat the league leaders with him there

slowpoke

As for Udogie & Bobb both are still in this not being home grown and not yet in the match squad category yes even Ugobie. I’m certain Spurs will put him in not so certain Bobb will get in at City

rexo87

IF we don’t manage to land whatever targets we’ve got in the next couple of days I wouldn’t mind Tom Ince on loan for the rest of the season (Watford willing to loan him out). Would be decent backup for Saka.

I know he’s been shit for a couple of years but having someone there capable of playing a few games to give Saka a rest is crucial. I also think his best position is as an inside forward off the right like we play.

Appreciate this will probably get shot down and I’d rather bring more exciting players in but it might get a bit desperate towards the end of Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybluedownunder

With the JANUARY transfer window being a month long why do we always leave it right to the end

Give me signings

giphy.gif

Deity

Preston away , the 1st time, iirc , we played the 433 , Simms destroyed their full backs from wide right and then wide left , looked every bit a strong , fast winger
He doesn’t have the touch to be a regular wide player but he can do a job.

Simms is a central striker. That’s where he should be playing.

edgy

Your assessment is very accurate but his first touch as you say is poor, that’s a skill and if it’s poor it’s likely to stay poor and there’s little choice of making it in the prem should we get there first touch is vital there.

Disagree. At 23, his "skills" and attributes can be worked on and improved. A lot of coaching young players is about repetition, do the same things over and over again until it becomes second nature. They did it with Gyokeres at a similar age, no reason to suggest they can't do something with Simms.

Hobo

With the JANUARY transfer window being a month long why do we always leave it right to the end

Give me signings

giphy.gif

Because a lot of clubs don't want to sell their better players mid season, unless they get an inflated price for them. We are no different.

Plus we have signed someone. Be patient and sign the right player rather than be able to say oh we have signed 3 players but they are no better or even worse than what we have got.

I think also, because we have improved the quality of the squad and it's depth, it is now harder for us to attract quality loan signings.

slowpoke

IF we don’t manage to land whatever targets we’ve got in the next couple of days I wouldn’t mind Tom Ince on loan for the rest of the season (Watford willing to loan him out). Would be decent backup for Saka.

I know he’s been shit for a couple of years but having someone there capable of playing a few games to give Saka a rest is crucial. I also think his best position is as an inside forward off the right like we play.

Appreciate this will probably get shot down and I’d rather bring more exciting players in but it might get a bit desperate towards the end of Thursday

I’m sure we will have new players come Thursday it’s dragged on a bit but Robins is secretive and there were games to prepare for, they may even be signed up.
This Lind rumour some say it’s a wind up could be but not a comment one way or the other from the club.

slowpoke

Disagree. At 23, his "skills" and attributes can be worked on and improved. A lot of coaching young players is about repetition, do the same things over and over again until it becomes second nature. They did it with Gyokeres at a similar age, no reason to suggest they can't do something with Simms.
Well he’s been here over six months and it ain’t improved much yet, how much time do you give ?

Hobo

Well he’s been here over six months and it ain’t improved much yet, how much time do you give ?

The thing is what players can do in training and what they do in game time is often two different things.

I used to watch Callum O'Hare shooting in the kick in before games and he really was a consistent sweet finisher. Before coming back from injury he couldn't hit a barn door in a match.

Like I said earlier, I think Simms needs a run of games in the centre of the three. We just need to back him like we did Gyokerese - who didn't get going until his second season.

edgy

How much time did we give Gyokeres? He was pretty underwhelming during his loan wasn't he?

In fact he was similar to Simms in a few ways. Cumbersome with the ball, first touch erratic and not as strong on the ball as you'd expect for his size. And goal returns was something like 3 in 30. Sound familiar?

Hertsccfc

The thing is what players can do in training and what they do in game time is often two different things.

I used to watch Callum O'Hare shooting in the kick in before games and he really was a consistent sweet finisher. Before coming back from injury he couldn't hit a barn door in a match.

Like I said earlier, I think Simms needs a run of games in the centre of the three. We just need to back him like we did Gyokerese - who didn't get going until his second season.
He has had lots of runs of games in the centre, including a run of seven, and has played in every match, the vast majority of the time in the centre. He needs time to develop away from the first team in my view, as we did with Gyokeres. Constantly playing him is not helping in my view, which is why we need another striker or to move Wright into the centre.

Hertsccfc

How much time did we give Gyokeres? He was pretty underwhelming during his loan wasn't he?

In fact he was similar to Simms in a few ways. Cumbersome with the ball, first touch erratic and not as strong on the ball as you'd expect for his size. And goal returns was something like 3 in 30. Sound familiar?
Exactly but we didn't keep playing him and draining his confidence which I think is happening with Simms.

mmttww

He’s not though.

Wright plays the wide role very effectively. Simms has only looked decent there for 10 minutes or so when chasing a game against a tired fullback.

Probably because that's the only 10 mins he'd had in that position. Don't think we've seen enough to say he's not an option there if he's needed.

Users who are viewing this thread