Transfer targets (11 Viewers)

Hertsccfc

Interesting. I won't ask you to reveal your source. I was sure we weren't in for him previously either but somebody today tells me otherwise.

Yeah, more the profile than the player himself (who I do like). We do need something else up top though so could be worth a chance.
I can see that. Feels more like a Bobby Gould type signing than Robins, but then again Gould signed some of the best players the club has ever had.

SBT

It took Wright a while to get going, but based on form since he actually cemented his place in the starting line-up (West Brom), and considering we changed formation against Stoke which better suited him, his scoring record is 1 in 2. That's 23 over a 46 game season, so don't see how he's some way off being a 20-goal a season striker (he's a winger anyway, so 20 goals would be crazy impressive).

Wright cost 7.5 million, doesn't need a Gyokeres/Hamer size fee to be profitable.
He’s 28 until he’s 29 not a 20-goal a season striker until he’s scored 20 goals

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Can't see it happening but now Jones has gone away and got his confidence back tearing up League 2, I wouldn't mind having him back now that we are playing a system more suited to him.
Wouldn’t you question why League one Oxford didn’t fancy him?

jones gets nowhere near Wright, Palmer, O’Hare, Sakamoto, and I’d hazard a guess we’d be able to buy better players.

napolimp

He’s 28 until he’s 29 not a 20-goal a season striker until he’s scored 20 goals

That's wrong isn't it, in that scenario he'll be a 20-goal as season winger, not a 20-goal a season striker.

The 20 goals was an arbitrary number I pulled out of thin air anyway, to make the point that there's no evidence he's peaked in terms of value. Even this season he could realistically reach 15 goals - as a winger. You're not picking up a 25-year old, 15-goal a season, winger from the Championship for 7.5 mil.

Saddlebrains

Lot of talk about Kitchings value if moving on etc

But from what i know, Kitching hasn't been purchased with being sold in future in mind unlike MVE, Simms, Thomas for example

He's earmarked as the new Fadz and to be to main CB heres for 5 plus years

NorthernWisdom

Lot of talk about Kitchings value if moving on etc

But from what i know, Kitching hasn't been purchased with being sold in future in mind unlike MVE, Simms, Thomas for example

He's earmarked as the new Fadz and to be to main CB heres for 5 plus years
His career trajectory suggests he'd want to go before that if the opportunity came, however. A couple of years at a club and move on for a better opportunity is currently what he's done.

NorthernWisdom

So the left sided forward we all think we need to buy is going to replace Wright? I don't think if MR is looking for someone to play there he is going to play instead of Wright or cost us £7-10m
What we are now in a position is to get some development players in - somebody who can push Wright for a season and a half, and be ready to step up if and when Wright's sold.

Legia Sky Blue

Wouldn’t you question why League one Oxford didn’t fancy him?

jones gets nowhere near Wright, Palmer, O’Hare, Sakamoto, and I’d hazard a guess we’d be able to buy better players.

At Oxford he was still finding his feet, and clearly didn't fit into how they wanted to play. He has now had 18 months football behind him, is impacting games and has his confidence back again. He will be a completely different player than rocked up at Oxford after leaving us. I just thought now we are playing wide players again he would be a decent addition to the squad. Looks like Notts are playing him wide left judged by yesterday's goal highlights so of the players you mentioned Wright would be the only one to play there. Obviously he wouldn't start ahead of him, but I could see him being a useful impact player from the bench. I do accept it is extremely unlikely to happen though!

ovduk78

What we are now in a position is to get some development players in - somebody who can push Wright for a season and a half, and be ready to step up if and when Wright's sold.
That's kind of what I meant and he can also replace Wright if he's injured or MR wants to take him off. Slowpoke seems to think we are only going to buy players that go straight into the team but MR likes to tinker a bit and is/has built a squad where he can do that.

JSL

Just read an article on Web suggesting George Byers of Sheffield Wednesday could be a possibility?

long way home

I thought 3 players in Jan
1 player we develop with an eye on next season being the main aim. Torp
1 player ready made championship or prem experience.
1 loan attacking young prem player that can create excitement.

Lets see if anything happens this week on perm. Loan comes last week of window

BlueSkiesForever

Told 2 or 3 more to come in which is great news

Kelly could be off to Burton

Honestly didn’t expect that, real great news! I thought Doug would be keeping one eye of the coffers and another eye on the current price of rapeseed oil. Nice to know he’s clearly taking the investment in the team seriously and increasing the depth of the squad.

Really hope Brekalo is on the cards, think he would be a great option in time. Just need another winger as backup for when we get injuries/tired legs etc. Then maybe next window an extra striker for if/when Godden or Tavares goes out on loan. Still not sold on Langstaff, massive jump from league 2 to championship, he looks great atm (and I could be massively wrong) but I can’t see him banging in anywhere near the same amount of goals in the championship.

procdoc

Honestly didn’t expect that, real great news! I thought Doug would be keeping one eye of the coffers and another eye on the current price of rapeseed oil. Nice to know he’s clearly taking the investment in the team seriously and increasing the depth of the squad.

Really hope Brekalo is on the cards, think he would be a great option in time. Just need another winger as backup for when we get injuries/tired legs etc. Then maybe next window an extra striker for if/when Godden or Tavares goes out on loan. Still not sold on Langstaff, massive jump from league 2 to championship, he looks great atm (and I could be massively wrong) but I can’t see him banging in anywhere near the same amount of goals in the championship.
Have you actually seen Brekalo play?

Matt smith

Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

I think we should be looking at someone like Scott twine

Thoughts @procdoc ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread