Transfer targets (12 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Football journo takes day off on penultimate day of transfer window …. He’s not planned that well. I’d be amazed if we don’t have some activity today ….
If we'd been under SISU still they'd have probably brought the reveals forward a day just to make him/CT look silly.

Oh, wait, under SISU there wouldn't have been any signings.

As you were.

shmmeee

I dunno - selling highfield road before we had a ground to go to meaning we were paying big sums to rent it back was the start. As you said ITV digital going bump + the 113m noose around our neck from that point onwards was definitely the catalyst. Not the transfer fees

We could have managed the club better, we could have managed the stadium move better (though if we’d managed the club better we wouldn’t have had to), and we could have not had the financial rug pulled from under us. I’m not sure you can pinpoint any one thing on its own.

Bad Boy

to be honest. At this point i'd rather pad out the squad with loanees rather than panic buy and waste Gus money.

I do think we'll end up with 1-2 younger Prem loans.

The Gus money is still a huge sum, and i'd rather take adequate time to reinevest that in the right player/players, rather than chucking it away.

Get some loanees in until Jan, whilst still continuing to bid/line suitable longer term replacements, and we can have them ready and through the door on Jan 1st.

Most teams that have gone up recently have relied on a couple of decent Prem loans, and i notice there hasn't been much loan movement this year.

i think that will be the best case
MR has said he doesn't want anymore loanees, he's got 2.

SkyB

I really hope if we bring in a CM before the deadline he isn't labelled the Gus replacement. They are massive shoes to fill especially for a young lad coming from abroad to step straight in to.

It's why I think O'Brien on loan was a great shout to fill that role this season. Bring him in to start this year and a younger player to step in next year, if there isn't the 'ready made' replacement out there.

Alkhen

Bit of a stretch to assume anyone we bring in would be a panic buy! Deals can take time to iron out, we could been working on deals that we initiated weeks ago. Haji mentioned he was first approched PRIOR to the play-off final. Things can be set up, fail for whatever reason, then get re-ignited down the line. There are so many cogs to get things done when every team is working away to bolster their squad.

Said it before but this last week is probably the most fluid time to get things sorted, we may have lists and targets but if opportunities pop up (like O'Brien) then we would be mad not to look into them even if they don't pan out.

Just find it weird there are so many people on here being so negative when there is still a day and half to get deals done.

Greggs

Blacked out Ford Transit just turned up at Ryton apparently.

Deity

Alan Nixon

Middlesbrough have won the race for midfielder Lewis O’Brien and are signing the Nottingham Forest player on loan for the season.

O’Brien jumped at the chance of joining Boro despite their poor start and will hope to reproduce his Huddeesfield form in the Championship.

Boro made the best contribution towards O’Brien’s wages despite rival interest from Coventry and Ipswich. Leeds surprisingly backed away.

O’Brien was initially only available to buy and then it became a loan with a view to a buy. However in the end Forest relented and settled for the most lucrative loan offer.

Brighton Sky Blue

Alan Nixon

Middlesbrough have won the race for midfielder Lewis O’Brien and are signing the Nottingham Forest player on loan for the season.

O’Brien jumped at the chance of joining Boro despite their poor start and will hope to reproduce his Huddeesfield form in the Championship.

Boro made the best contribution towards O’Brien’s wages despite rival interest from Coventry and Ipswich. Leeds surprisingly backed away.

O’Brien was initially only available to buy and then it became a loan with a view to a buy. However in the end Forest relented and settled for the most lucrative loan offer.
Any idea what he’s on at Forest?

TomRad85

On the flip side of the negativity at least we could have an interesting deadline day. Usually we know we're going to do absolutely fuck all apart from maybe flog another player for a laugh.

Brighton Sky Blue

On the flip side of the negativity at least we could have an interesting deadline day. Usually we know we're going to do absolutely fuck all apart from maybe flog another player for a laugh.
Probably get another of those Chinese takeaway tweets

Hobo

Do we think Ayari could do a job given time? He looks very slight to me for a deeper role.
He is certainly highly rated by Brighton and suspect he has been allowed to come here expecting to get decent game time over the season.

SleepyGinger

Do we think Ayari could do a job given time? He looks very slight to me for a deeper role.
Yes, his defensive numbers are decent. Hamer was at his best last year when he played alongside Sheaf and Eccles. I think there will be home games when we expect a lot of the ball and he will replace Eccles, I think he is the Hamer replacement for this season.

Skyblue_CP

Not claiming to be itk because I’m not, but heard today that we’re looking at Remo Freuler from Forest for the number 8 role. Seems abit far fetched to me. Current vice captain and full international for Switzerland.

Would set us back 6-8m and doesn’t fit the model at 31, so again, sceptical.

gspotgaz

Not claiming to be itk because I’m not, but heard today that we’re looking at Remo Freuler from Forest for the number 8 role. Seems abit far fetched to me. Current vice captain and full international for Switzerland.

Going to Bologna in a swap deal

TomRad85

Tbf they are surely in a position where they desperately need to get players off the books. If there's no bidding war then they could just accept a low ball offer or indeed a loan.

Hobo

Reported he is in Italy having a medical

NorthernWisdom

I’m genuinely not trying to be pedantic and the original point of the post was why people elect to take a long distance loan when an equivalent one on the doorstep was available. Transfers are different; players know (or at least intend at point of signing) to be at a place for 3 years or so, so will most likely move to the area. With a 6-10 month loan, why commute / live in digs / stay at another player's house as some have suggested if you could just as easily take a local loan and stay home?

It was a simple musing.

O’Hare is a prime example. I’m fairly certain that the commute from Solihull to Ryton wasn’t daunting.

I’d guess Panzo didn’t need to stay in digs near Cov.

With O’Brien, it was a simple question of why choose Middlesbrough over us for a loan? Middlesbrough (unless you’ve been kicked in the head by a horse or think maps tell lies) is an unnecessary upheaval.

Latterly, in the real world, particularly post Covid, people are less inclined to travel to work. (Many have got used to working from home where their “own time” starts later and finishes earlier. Ie, logging on at 9 means you are having “own time” until 9. Jumping in a car at 8 after putting a suit on etc to get to an office at 9 means “own time” ends earlier than 8. People have started to see the benefits of not wasting time sat in traffic jams, burning fuel, wasting time and money.)

First question I ask when employing people is “where do you live”?. People who have a 10 minute journey are more likely to stay with a firm then those the other side of town who need to travel an hour.

Back to original point:

4/5 hour round trips to go training for 2 hours is a bit bonkers.

For loans, particularly young O’Hare types who probably live at home near their boyhood club, shouldn’t we be looking closer to home?

Have the (spits as types) Villa got any decent young AM’s?

Is Rico Richards any good?

I always thought Louie Barry a decent loan shout.
You're not being pedantic, the word you're looking for is clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread