Transfer fees (1 Viewer)

junglej13

Some of the money being offered for players in the Premier League this summer due to the new TV deal is absolutely crazy. James Tomkins for £12m, Jordan Ibe going £15m... Even the Championship clubs are spending ridiculous money. It just highlights the stupidity of selling Maddison in January. I just hope someone stumps up a stupid bid for Callum Wilson before the end of the window.

Covstu

Wilson will leave there before too long (maybe Jan), jury is out on Maddison in my view.

AFCCOVENTRY

I think we got a good deal for Maddison, because he isn't as good as some people make him out to be.

The Callum Wilson transfer fee too low.

Brylowes

Maddison, not sure to early to tell IMO, seems like he's started to believe his own hype, never
A good thing that, needs strong guidance through the early years whether he gets that at
NCFC remains to be seen.
Wilson, seems very grounded and wanting to learn, a very bright future ahead of him I think,
reminds me of Jermain Defoe, done the right thing by signing a new contract for Bournmouth
which suggests he's getting sound advice and acting on it.

Hobo

Transfer fees have always been the same. Bargain when the player delivers, bonkers when they don't.

However, City find themselves on the wrong side of a ever widening financial devide. Which is very worrying.

Chipfat

Money in the game is mad, players like Ibe and Sterling were in every team 15-20 years ago and never got near record fee's or even got to be an international player. When you look back at the depth of talent that each team had it puts in in perspective that although the game hasn't change on the field in this period, off the field its light years away. The list of players you can name from the past who never got near the money that's in today is shocking, fair play to the players now they take it when they can and who can blame them..

But In my opinion it has altered the standard that is being produced at all levels and not in a good way, players for whatever reason lose the desire to be successful on the field due to the fact that off the field they are in a very small % of people that have no financial worries at such a young age. As for clubs it makes it very hard to compete and even harder to sustain any level of achievement, you will find individual story that counter that opinion but overall clubs are getting wider apart and unable to run a successful business model.

I don't like to pick players out but 30mill demanded for Deeney, 15 mill for Ibe, 50 mill for Sterling will in the end kill more clubs than grow the structure of producing solid clubs for fans to support for many years to come. What goes up must come down and for me this level of spending cannot be sustained or should be sustained if the game is being properly looked after.

Hobo

There needs to be a better distribution of money across the tiers. There is also too much talent wasting in the shadows of Premiership teams. More should be loaned out with the message go prove what you can do and actually earn your wages. Rather than having every Saturday off with Friday night and Saturday night reserved for clubbing.

Brylowes

It's my longheld view that the TV deals are not benefiting the game. The sooner people realise that by subscribing to Sky and BT that they are effectively killing off the competitiveness of the game, the better.
Spot on, it's also to the detriment of the national team as it tempts all the best foreign
players to ply their trade over here limiting home players chances.
While sky & BT keep paying obscene amounts of money for the rights to broadcast it
around the world, the FA ain't gonna change a thing.

Chipfat

Agree Brylowes, When you look at the money paid to those who have never made a first team appearance it has to have an effect on the meaning of making it in the individuals mind. 20 years ago making it to the majority came after signing a second pro contract, now 15-16 year old's are signing deals that make them not care about a career but more so investment on contracts money due.

Most players will either be over coached, bored or not in love enough with the game to step to a higher level, its just sad not a lot if anything can be done to manage the developemnet of the game never mind the individual.

Hadji10

It's a vicious circle. The clubs are not really much better off, the more money gets pumped in each year, the more teams just put an extra 5-10 mill on an already inflated price. Look at Jordan Ibe, he's probably had 4 good games in his Liverpool career. It's madness really.

Sky are killing football and they've killed boxing too. Like Fernando says, stop subscribing.

Brylowes

It's a vicious circle. The clubs are not really much better off, the more money gets pumped in each year, the more teams just put an extra 5-10 mill on an already inflated price. Look at Jordan Ibe, he's probably had 4 good games in his Liverpool career. It's madness really.

Sky are killing football and they've killed boxing too. Like Fernando says, stop subscribing.
It's not like most of the cash stays in the game, players, managers, agents etc
are taking more & more out and building personal fortunes.
The whole thing is obscene TBH

Liquid Gold

Hang on, on another thread we're complaining that city should be spending money and here we're saying that the money is madness and will kill the game. This forum's bonkers

Chipfat

It's the amount of money spent on individuals which is out of control. How does it relate to us? it dorsn't in our current state but makes it harder to compete or to obtain success. Most fans know we are not in any position to pay massive fees or wages and until we have a plan on and off the field spending at the current level is a mere dream.

Users who are viewing this thread