Transfer Fees, Number of players in and out................... (1 Viewer)

zuni

wow on that scale of how many hundreds of players on free's in the football world how many are great, turn out great and how many are just "shite".....maybe andy thorn should scout for the world and they will all be magical then

Mary_Mungo_Midge

From my end it is not so much a moan, more of a concern. Losing several of last seasons key players in one hit (Clarke accepted), who had performed well for us last season, and taking something of a leap of faith on players that we simply don't know well enough to base a firm judgement on, and not being able to predict the outcome.

As a fan, I hope it comes off of course, but it is a high risk strategy to say the least. Other clubs are in a similar position of course - I know many Cobblers fans who share the same concern year on year, and a coiuple of mates who have said "welcome to our club" - (and not in a literal sense of course!).

Exactly. And in recent times, hope hasn't often been married to positive outcome. So why keep gifting our current owners the 'benefit of the doubt' when it smacks us squarely in the face every time?!?

Nick

Administrator
So what have I defended? What have I supported? As for things in the past, wasn't it always you going on about Thorn and that how the club was so shit we could never get a better manager than him and having a whinge at anybody who said he was shite and should go?

You have got a stat about goals scored last season, I said what about goals conceded if we have brought in some better defenders. It isn't defending anybody is it? It is just saying there is a wider picture on the playing front than to just look at the goals players scored last season that have now gone.

Funny really, as you made a post titled

"maybe, just maybe... ..... the next loanee won't be dismissed before he's kicked a ball, eh?"

Maybe that was because it was Thorn who brought him in though eh? ;)

Yes, this squad may well be dog shit, but we just can't judge yet can we? We could have spent all of the Wilson money on somebody like Eastwood and be shouting from the rooftops about how it has been invested and then look? Surely a bit of time is needed before moaning?

LJC_CCFC

Nick. This site doesn't have new people every day you know. People use it regularly and remember your stance on a number of issues.

This is a case in point. We've sold our hottest prospect with the promise the windfall will be reinvested in the playing squad. I very much suspect it hasn't been. And won't be. Your line? Well maybe we won't leak as many goals? Maybe someone else will step up? You've neatly side-stepped our owners apparent duplicity, and are trying to silver-line a dirty big potential cloud. Just answer the point - does it look like our owners have misled us with the ambition of the Wilson sale? Has there been a considerable migration in our goal threat since January of last season?

That's why people moan. As I don't want a few more seasons in the third division, and at least if our owners did what they eluded they would with the Wilson money I'd thing we stood a chance of changing that. And I don't want to be reliant on your cheery 'maybes' to achieve that aim

Stop calling Wilson League 1's hottest prospect, he has a history of injuries and had one good goal scoring season in League 1 (A league in which failed Championship strikers score for fun). There is another month of the transfer window and therefore still time for us to pay a fee for a player.

shmmeee

Yes we do. Another good thread to look at http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.php?/topic/226401-hows-your-starting-line-up-looking/

compare and contrast to see how piss poor some teams are.

OK, that thread has one Cov fan (I assume you) having the piss taken out of them for thinking Pugh will be any good, and they are literally the only person saying we'll do well (I've only gone back a week).

No-one in that thread is mentioning us for promotion.

Edit: some choice quotes:

I'd be pretty worried cov fans if shaun miller is one of your main strikers. Back up maybe...

On Pugh:

I'd wager that he's nowhere near the best left back in Northampton.
I don't think i've come across a more pointless footballer in my time and we've had Darren Carter and Barry Nicholson.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I'm leaving this forum until the day before the start of the season. Goodbye

princewalking.gif

FRY-CCFC

OK, that thread has one Cov fan (I assume you) having the piss taken out of them for thinking Pugh will be any good, and they are literally the only person saying we'll do well (I've only gone back a month).

No-one in that thread is mentioning us for promotion.

Look at the predictions. It's also fairly apparent that I'm taking the piss when talking about Pugh being great. He'll just be a consistent left back. That fan has also never seen pugh play for their team so I won't take his judgement very seriously when Leeds fans have said he's be good.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Stop calling Wilson League 1's hottest prospect, he has a history of injuries and had one good goal scoring season in League 1 (A league in which failed Championship strikers score for fun). There is another month of the transfer window and therefore still time for us to pay a fee for a player.

Can you point to a higher fee paid for any player in this division this summer? If there aren't many more, the market tends to agree with me

shmmeee

Look at the predictions. It's also fairly apparent that I'm taking the piss when talking about Pugh being great. He'll just be a consistent left back. That fan has also never seen pugh play for their team so I won't take his judgement very seriously when Leeds fans have said he's be good.

OK, predictions thread:

22nd
19th
12th
10th
24th
24th
16th
11th
14th
13th
7th
18th
12th
10th
20th
12th
12th
16th
14th
12th
9th
10th
18th
20th
9th
11th
11th
11th
17th
9th
11th
8th
7th
13th
14th
18th
7th
11th
8th
6th
11th
9th
9th
11th
Relegated (no position given)
9th
20th

An average of 13/14th.

And of course your post saying "If you ask any Cov fan we'll finish 24th" which is just gibberish.

You are massively over optimistic, its cool, that's your job as a fan. But don't make out like you have some kind of facts to back up your opinion.

Last edited:

FRY-CCFC

OK, predictions thread:

22nd
19th
12th
10th
24th
24th
16th
11th
14th
13th
7th
18th
12th
10th
20th
12th
12th
16th
14th
12th
9th
10th
18th
20th
9th
11th
11th
11th
17th
9th
11th
8th
7th
13th
14th
18th
7th
11th
8th
6th
11th
9th
9th
11th
Relegated (no position given)
9th
20th

And of course your post saying "If you ask any Cov fan we'll finish 24th" which is just gibberish.

You are massively over optimistic, its cool, that's your job as a fan. But don't make out like you have some kind of facts to back up your opinion.

Tbh. From that, it shows that no one has a clue where we will finish.

LJC_CCFC

Transfer fee aside, look at the goal scoring charts from last season and that of the previous season, awful lot of average players score for fun in this

hill83

All this prediction stuff is a load of old shite anyway. Who knows where we will finish. Let's just see what happens.

Hobo

Not sure anyone who doesnt make the effort to go to Sixfields has a right to comment on the strength of the squad. You being part of the problem after all.

A myopic view of the situation AndreasB.

hill83

Not sure anyone who doesnt make the effort to go to Sixfields has a right to comment on the strength of the squad. You being part of the problem after all.

You know what. You aren't totally wrong, but it's something I'm willing to take on the chin. I'm not going to Sixfields.

Hobo

What Jack Muldoon from Worksop you mean? Doubt it he's on a 1 year contract.

Still he was signed for a "minor" fee so I guess ccfcway would rather have him than Tudgay.

After all a fee is a fee.
Taking things out of context and to extremes doesn't strengthen your view point Grendel, it just makes you look like an idiot.

I actually credit you with more intelligence than that. He may not be better than Tudgay but may have more development potential and therefore merit a small fee. He has probably increased his wages slightly also. With Tudgat, Forest just want him off their wage bill hence the free transfer and also why Tudgay has probably been happy to take a wage cut.

hill83

[video=youtube;RS81SCTw1JE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS81SCTw1JE[/video]

paulw

What is the obsession with paying fees? If there are 2 players of equal quality, one on a free and one with a fee to pay, I'd have the free one any day.

Totally agree. The only reason they cost a fee anyway is because they are on a contract, and usually as soon as that contract is up they go for free.

chiefdave

Stop calling Wilson League 1's hottest prospect

What would you call a young player who was the 3rd highest L1 goalscorer last season? Surely that's the definition of a hot prospect. Was interesting to see when I looked up the L1 top scorers last season Wilson is the only one who has left so the idea that it was inevitable that he would leave doesn't seem to ring true.

LJC_CCFC

What would you call a young player who was the 3rd highest L1 goalscorer last season? Surely that's the definition of a hot prospect. Was interesting to see when I looked up the L1 top scorers last season Wilson is the only one who has left so the idea that it was inevitable that he would leave doesn't seem to ring true.

A prospect

shy_tall_knight

From my last 3 games away to Cree brentford and tranmere whilst a lot of those players have left, Fleck & Thomas looked bottom third quality and not convinced by webster seabourne or jordan clarke, jordan willis looked good.

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread