Match Thread Tranmere Rovers vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Wednesday 1st Jan (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
And people find it annoying. There’s some more context.

It is annoying during games when we are shit which is why people whinge about us playing badly.

itsabuzzard

And stop whinging like little bitches when things aren’t going exactly as they would like. It’s football.
It's also a forum for discussion. I'm not sure why anyone would get hot under the collar about people airing their thoughts about what's going wrong on the pitch, or why you'd characterize it as whinging.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Frostie

Presumably the 'handball' shout ?

Incidentally, i am confused by the official's interpretation of the rules (or my understanding of them). When the Wycombe defender fouled McCallum, the ref awarded a penalty, but didn't send the defender off, due to the double jeopardy rule (which I get, sort of); yet on the same day, watching the Quest highlights, there was a game (think it was L2), where the defender brought down the attacker and the ref sent him off AND awarded the penalty (it wasn't a violent challenge) Can anybody explain (Adge)?

I'm not convinced it was handball anyway.

Re: McCallum @ Wycombe.
If a challenge denies a clear goal scoring opportunity but was deemed to be a legitimate attempt at winning the ball it should be a yellow card.
If it is deemed a deliberate foul to prevent the scoring opportunity it should be red - McFadzean was (harshly) judged to have done this v Rotherham.

The McCallum one for me was definitely a deliberate foul but wasn't really a clear goal scoring opportunity. The ball was always running through to the keeper, just a ridiculous decision from the defender.

hill83

It's also a forum for discussion. I'm not sure why anyone would get hot under the collar about people airing their thoughts about what's going wrong on the pitch, or why you'd characterize it as whinging.

I’m not, but match threads are whinge fests masquerading as critical analysis. Other threads don’t follow that trend. I get that it’s live and I’ve done it myself, but surely you can see why it would be annoying to people. Easier to man up and accept that surely, or we could keep this thread going to another 20 pages for context.

Nick

Administrator
People comment on the game as it's happening. That's probably why it's different to other threads.

hill83

My favourite type is

“Robins is shit he needs to do A”

Robins does A

“I did that”

itsabuzzard

I’m not, but match threads are whinge fests masquerading as critical analysis. Other threads don’t follow that trend. I get that it’s live and I’ve done it myself, but surely you can see why it would be annoying to people. Easier to man up and accept that surely, or we could keep this thread going to another 20 pages for context.
I've no problem with the match threads; it's entertaining to see a whole range of views. I have been known to read them from start to finish on match days after coming in from work, before finding out the result. What I find really tedious are the interminable "It is" "It isn't" threads.

hill83

I've no problem with the match threads; it's entertaining to see a whole range of views. I have been known to read them from start to finish on match days after coming in from work, before finding out the result. What I find really tedious are the interminable "It is" "It isn't" threads.

No you don’t

ccfcway

My favourite type is

“Robins is shit he needs to do A”

Robins does A

“I did that”

If he makes changes, it was called on here
If he doesn’t, he can’t react to the game
If he wins, well we should be winning with this squad after signing £750k players
If he loses, taxi.

For context. At the game, you get most people expressing frustration at a mistake, a missed pass, lack of change etc and then considerable more support for the manager and players by the same people 3 mins later.

shmmeee

Google says this game kicks off a one minute past two, is that right? Why the random time?

Irish Sky Blue

At that stage we were being hammered and were very lucky as they could have scored 3.

You need to look at context and timings of when things were posted.
We were winning 2-1 and were under pressure. Wycombe were hammered 4-1 by us. Tranmere were hammered 4-1 by us. We weren't hammered by anyone. The only luck was the missed penalty, everything else was good defending.
The context was that it was the start of the second half. They came out flying after being dominated for the whole 46 minutes of the first half, even after their goal. Robin's, I would say quite rightly, looked at what was going on before making the changes that ultimately changed the game. Those changes came in or around the 60th minute and were done after the players had warmed up and were briefed on the touchline. Good management I would say and I think most City fans would agree. Those who for some reason want him out however have their own agenda.
As for saying the Tranmere onslaught should have been expected, I actually texted my son at half time at Wycombe to say we would be under siege second half. It never happened. Football is not easy to predict.
If you think it was right to criticise him, when should the change have been made?

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

Also interesting to note that the Lincoln home game which followed a similar pattern to the one at Tranmere (We dominate the first half, go in one goal up, they come out and are on top for the first 15 minutes) the same call for change was made, I wanted him to change it around too. No subs were made at that stage and by the 60th minute we were back in control. He was correct again.

Users who are viewing this thread