Tranmere Rovers FC (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Top of the division 3 points clear, top goal scorers so far, joint best defence in the division, goal difference of 17 (next best is 8 Notts County) whats the secret of the current success. Yes I know that it is where you finish that matters but after 9 games they have momentum and seemingly achieved on a shoestring budget. So I took a quick look.

Like ourselves and a few other clubs there is a supporters trust looking to get involved.
http://www.tranmereroverstrust.co.uk/~tranmere/index.php/trfc-takeover/103-business-plan-a-vision All good stuff but near the end of the document are details of the finances. Briefly in round figs to 30/06/11......

Income 3.46m
net transfer fees recd 50K
Total wages (Players & other staff) 1.95m (btw 65% of income = 2.25m our player budget is £4.2m, the total wages will be more than that)
other costs 1.65m
finance costs 112k
Loss for year 197k

Current debt estimated at 7.2m

finished 12th last season

current position 1st (ccfc 22nd pompey 17th)

current squad size 23 (ccfc 36 pompey 32)

The council sponsors the team to tune of 123k pa. Struck the deal years ago when Club couldnt repay loan the council had made. Club has repaid loan now but council still sponsor (before anyone says anything Cov council & Higgs Charity provide a stadium for no return)

average crowds to date at Tranmere 5311 (11th best in division) Last year 5130 and 12th best.

I know we see ourselves as a bigger club, I know we probably aspire to more than Tranmere realistically can on that budget (not meant to be disrespectful in that ), I know the season isnt over, but doesnt this just make you question a little the money wasted at ccfc, doesnt it make you think it isnt all about throwing money at players to build a team ? It takes much more than money but it certainly helps ......... or it should do !!!

Tranmere right now are proving what can be done even on a tight and relatively small budget ........

Last edited:

charlievictor

Everton are 2nd in the Premier League with more points and a goal difference better than both Man City and United.

It's way too early to say Tranmere have proved anything on a small budget, they could still be relegated.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
thats why i said "right now" and "that it is where you finish that counts" .......... yes they could be relegated but then again so could we. I was careful in what i said and right now they are 15 points above us on 1/3rd of the finances ........ or nearly halfway to survival in League 1 after 9 games ..........

Depends on your definition of success of course. Tranmere have maintained their staus in League 1 over the last decade, even made it to playoffs and more usually midtable, they have flirted with relegation once perhaps twice......... all on small crowds, tight finances, and low debt. During a time where we have never made a playoff got relegated to their division, incurred multi million losses each year and accrued over £40m net debt.

Not saying they will achieve anything next April but it doesnt hurt for people to look outside the CCFC bubble at other clubs and then think about what they see and how it relates to CCFC.

The point being made is that everyone focusses on throwing more money than everyone else at achieving success as the only way to go but is it ?

Tranmere have proven that on low turnover you dont have to make massive losses to survive at this level or even gain some success ........ we are budgetting at least £3m loss this financial year.......... or put another way a loss equivalent to the total income of Tranmere Rovers FC.

Are we guaranteed even top 6 ? or not to be relegated ? (would hope second alternative is likely because of the player spending and new manager in particular) or even to finish above Tranmere?

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I also think that we under estimate just how good a job is being done by some of the less fashionable clubs. We have got in the habit of spending our way out of things (it hasnt worked like many other teams) rather than tackling the root causes. These so called lesser teams work to their finances, some have a period where a wealthy backer steps in but that is a limited period usually. In staying in budget, in decreasing losses, in keeping debt down but maintaining/safeguarding assets like stadiums they do sacrifice glory to the less well run profligate clubs like Pompey etc. I think you have to measure achievement against the ability to finance it and the long term future of any club. Right now Tranmere are probably over achieving, will it last ? who knows but i am prepared to give them credit for what has gone on so far because it isnt the first time over the last decade they have been pushing the promotion places on the financial set up they have. I would also guess that there is more doubt over our long term future than theirs

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
agreed but thats the situation they have to live with, the risk they take. but they could bring in loans etc because there would appear to be room in the league wage budget without making huge losses and in theory league success should increase income.

You take your choice where you take your risk ....... but its no good directors complaining about making millions in losses if it is they who took that particular risk in the first place.

would guess Tranmere's and lot of other clubs first target is to get to 50 points and almost certain safety

Users who are viewing this thread