Traffic (1 Viewer)

MalcSB

Exactly. It was gridlock because both roads were pretty much closed.

Would surely think there should be a thing where it theres a huge event on you don't cause pointless bottlenecks at the same time.
That would require some coordination and brain power.

Saddlebrains

which is what we do, but try heading over to longford road, the wasteland has no footpath and is flooded, so it is the poorly lit canal toepath - and no because of the road closures, took an extra 30 minutes this week

There's a massive path that goes from Longford Road, all the way down behind Tesco, green bridge over thr railway line and bam you're at the Telegraph stand.

Used that path for years surely you know its there?

Flying Fokker

You should all just move to Longford its a piece of piss

Small walk from my house, up windmill road, round the back of tesco and there and ready for the game in 15 minutes
I used to enjoy my 2 1/2 mile walk from home to the ground. In fact it was often the best part of the day seeing as the Ricoh years were horrendous in most part.

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

I park 20 mins from the ground in Exhall. There are many cars parked in ‘no park zones’ and the new roads associated the house building. I’ve seen the odd parking ticket on some cars but it seems very rare nowadays. It’s possibly too expensive to manage or the warks/cov councils have adopted a laize faire approach.

torchomatic

Took fucking ages just to get out of Finbarrs.
For the first time I went out the gate at the back. Still a nightmare but got out the car park much quicker.

mmttww

I really don't grasp how anything other than more people using public transport reduces traffic and therefore makes the roads less sh*t after games.

More people on less vehicles = Good, no? Why are people shooting that down in principle? Genuinely keen to hear alternative ideas as I don't see them.

MalcSB

I really don't grasp how anything other than more people using public transport reduces traffic and therefore makes the roads less sh*t after games.

More people on less vehicles = Good, no? Why are people shooting that down in principle? Genuinely keen to hear alternative ideas as I don't see them.
The thread was about the traffic chaos as a result of the road being closed because pedestrians put themselves at risks by either not following the rules relating to use of light controlled crossings, or crossing the road at other places. I proposed another footbridge.
Diverting the traffic merely displaces the problem, there are plenty of unruly pedestrians crossing Longford Road dangerously after a match. Perhaps the answer is to ban all northbound traffic from the city centre between 30 minutes before and 60 mins after the end of play.

torchomatic

Didn't know about that one. Will have to check that out next time.
They don't always open it. I only used it on Saturday as it was light. Bottom left hand corner of the pitch.

mmttww

The thread was about the traffic chaos as a result of the road being closed because pedestrians put themselves at risks by either not following the rules...

which they might not have to do - close the road - if getting away from the ground wasn't dependent on driving, either to the ground or somewhere near it.

You're dodging the question a bit as well. You were one of the people being reactionary to suggestions that some work re: public transport would help.

MalcSB

which they might not have to do - close the road - if getting away from the ground wasn't dependent on driving, either to the ground or somewhere near it.

You're dodging the question a bit as well. You were one of the people being reactionary to suggestions that some work re: public transport would help.
I’m not dodging the question at all. Keep the road open and ensure pedestrians follow the rules. Or build a bridge. I have pointed out the scale of public transport required, admittedly at the extreme, total solution end. What have you to say about my observation that there are still problem pedestrians on Longford Road. I’m not anti public transport per se, just not convinced it would be provided at a scale to resolve the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread