Top Ten City goals of all time (1 Viewer)

Hiraeth

I know it's not eligible in terms of the caveat of goals scored at games you've been to given it was BCD but I think Gus Hamer's header against Watford is worthy of an honourable mention

Grendel

I know it's not eligible in terms of the caveat of goals scored at games you've been to given it was BCD but I think Gus Hamer's header against Watford is worthy of an honourable mention
It really isn't

jordan210

The two chris maguire free kicks vs MK dons was pretty amazing.Not sure if top 10 worthy but up their

Travs

Anybody mentioned Don Hutchinson's away at Leeds??

Link added

I'd just come on here to post this (i was there too!)

Probably better than Mcallister's against Derby. Only thing it doesn't have is the sense of occasion, just being an equaliser in what turned out to be a 3-1 defeat (if i recall correctly).... had it been a last minute winner it would probably be classed as one of our great goals.

gruffskyblue

I'd just come on here to post this (i was there too!)

Probably better than Mcallister's against Derby. Only thing it doesn't have is the sense of occasion, just being an equaliser in what turned out to be a 3-1 defeat (if i recall correctly).... had it been a last minute winner it would probably be classed as one of our great goals.
Great point that. The sense of occasion is so important. That’s why the Hucks goal gets so much attention. I’ve never gone so ballistic in my life!

nunchuckas

I was right behind this one in the main stand . It was in as soon as it left his foot

Interesting you say that, I was right behind/infront of it in the West Terrace and it looked like it was going miles over when he struck it from that angle. Lost sight of it behind the roof to the Family Stand for a split second at the absolute height of its arc, then next thing I see is it reappear almost instantly, dipping loads (not a bad strike afterall, I thought) and then sneak in under the crossbar, that's what made it even more incredible to me.

baldy

Wow a whole thread on goals and no mention of Noel Whelan ?
There is a YouTube of his greatest City goals , most of them would make a top 10

You blatantly haven’t read the ‘rules’ behind this thread have you?

Hertsccfc

One obscure goal that I can't ever recall being mentioned since was scored by Andy Blair against Birmingham at St Andrews. I think it was first day of the season round about 1980.

We lost 3-1 and it was one of the worst performances I can remember, but his goal was a great long range shot.

Grendel

Funny thing is if you had to name one goal you’d probably consider it’s Houchen in the final - it’s a bit of a disservice as people just assume it’s a goal that helped won the cup but it was a fantastic diving header which you rarely see. It’s amazing technique and timing

I can’t think of anything better. The Bodak
Goal against Man City was another and he had a knack of doing those.

Overhead kicks are often cited but some strikers can develop the technique - if you nominate one of them look up Brian Kilkline vs Wimbledon - his penalty was saved and look what he did then!

Torquay Sky Blue

Interesting you say that, I was right behind/infront of it in the West Terrace and it looked like it was going miles over when he struck it from that angle. Lost sight of it behind the roof to the Family Stand for a split second at the absolute height of its arc, then next thing I see is it reappear almost instantly, dipping loads (not a bad strike afterall, I thought) and then sneak in under the crossbar, that's what made it even more incredible to me.
It just drop down nicely on to his laces . He knew exactly where it was ending up. Perfect technique from McAllister. He was a joy to watch

Great thread! Nuddy v villa at HR in '91 stands out for me, also for the mental kop celebrations that followed! Also his winner at West Brom in the cup replay, Huckerby's solo effort at Anfield in the cup (best away performance from us I've seen) and I seem to remember Kenny Hibbett scoring a scorcher against Oxford in about '86? Our last goal away at Wycombe a couple of seasons ago was pretty special too:)
I remember George Lawrence scoring for Southampton at the West End just before the cup final, found footage of it recently. Now that was a goal!

Terry_dactyl

Great thread! Nuddy v villa at HR in '91 stands out for me, also for the mental kop celebrations that followed! Also his winner at West Brom in the cup replay, Huckerby's solo effort at Anfield in the cup (best away performance from us I've seen) and I seem to remember Kenny Hibbett scoring a scorcher against Oxford in about '86? Our last goal away at Wycombe a couple of seasons ago was pretty special too:)
I remember George Lawrence scoring for Southampton at the West End just before the cup final, found footage of it recently. Now that was a goal!
I remember that I think! Did he cut inside and then thump it?
Speaking of goals vs Southampton…Speedie curling in the winner (past tim flowers?) to win 3-2. I think we may have been 2-0 up but they clawed it back to 2-2.

Yes that's the one, amazing shot. I don't think three Oggy's in goal would have saved it! Quality free kick from Killer too. No over-the-top celebrations from either player, those were the days......

Terry_dactyl

Yes that's the one, amazing shot. I don't think three Oggy's in goal would have saved it! Quality free kick from Killer too. No over-the-top celebrations from either player, those were the days......

Must’ve been the same game Borrows broke his leg?

rondog1973

I remember that George Lawrence goal. The whole ground applauded!

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Probably not good enough to make the top 10, but two goals not mentioned that are worthy of another watch.

Edit: to clarify, O’Briens & Murphys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M&B Stand

Wow a whole thread on goals and no mention of Noel Whelan ?
There is a YouTube of his greatest City goals , most of them would make a top 10

Whelan’s chip over Kasey Keller at Leicester in the 3-0 cup win was one of the finest examples of control and technique you’ll ever ever see..

JimmyHillsbeard

Wanted to mention this goal since the start of the thread but it took me ages to find the clip of the entire move. From our box to their net this goal by Jamie Allen at Bristol Rovers is a thing of beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread