Top gear racism row (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Did anybody watch last night? What was racist?

SlowerThanPlatt

I'm sure someone will explain why we cannot use the word "slope" now, just watched the clip and I thought he was talking about the bridge. :thinking about:

Otis

Apparently 'slope' is a derogatory term for people of Asian descent.

Was not aware of that at all myself. Just because some of us don't know what it means though doesn't make it any less offensive if it was used as a derogatory term.

Last edited:

lewys33

I watched it, and thought this was going to be about Hammond saying "they dont all look the same" ......... never heard of this "slope" before!

ajsccfc

Is there an actual row or has the Daily Mail found the handful of people on Twitter that gave a shit and blew it out of proportion?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Haven't watched this show for years. Can't stand Mr Smugness-itself- Clarkson nor his squeaky, mouse-like idiotic side-kick Hammond! It's a close call between these two and Ant & Dec which are the two worse twats on TV are at the moment!

Otis

Haven't watched this show for years. Can't stand Mr Smugness-itself- Clarkson nor his squeaky, mouse-like idiotic side-kick Hammond! It's a close call between these two and Ant & Dec which are the two worse twats on TV are at the moment!

Have you seen the Stuart Lee Top Gear thing, Houch? It's really funny

[video=youtube;K7CnMQ4L9Pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc[/video]

Last edited:

Otis

[video=youtube;xgABbHPdwH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4[/video]

Top gear again.

mark82

I'm sure someone will explain why we cannot use the word "slope" now, just watched the clip and I thought he was talking about the bridge. :thinking about:

Yep. Sure he just said the bridge had a slope. Hoping a daily mail reader can explain to me how in that context it was offensive.

Otis

Err.....

I believe, or at least how it is quoted, the quip from Clarkson was ....

'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards them on their makeshift bridge over the River Kwai.

If true, that is I would have thought, racist. Knowing Clarkson that is pretty much his style I would have said.

'But there's a slope on it' as an Asian man walks across the bridge has a different connotation to 'the bridge has a slope' I would suggest.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I think it is just not many people knowing that Slope can be classed as offensive, is it an olden reference?

Otis

News to me too. If it is a derogatory word though you can bet your bottom dollar that Clakson was aware of this.

He has past history of this sort of thing.

Houchens Head

Many years ago (1966) there was a film called "The Sand Pebbles" starring Steve McQueen and Richard Attenborough. It was based in China during 1926. In the film, as I recall, the Chinese were often referred to as "slopeheads" and "coolies" by the American Navy lads, as per the script. So, the word "slope" to refer to people from the Far East has been around for some time. It IS a derogatory term but not having seen the Top Gear episode, I can't really comment on that. By the way, it's a brilliant film if you've never seen it. One of my all-time favourites.
Otis: I haven't watched those videos yet but I will in a while. ;)

Otis

Sometimes Stuart Lee is hilarious and sometimes he is not so funny. Trust me, this is him at his funniest.

Houchens Head

Brilliant Otis! :claping hands: He sums up EXACTLY how I feel about Top Gear! Clarkson and Hammond in particular!

andrew.roberts

Do not forget Alan Titchmarsh...and yes I agree with you about the top gear trio especially the psycophantic Hammond hanging on to Clarkson´s every utterance with his doe eyes as if he´s waiting for a pat on the head

duffer

Definitely a derogatory term, although I've only seen it used by Americans talking about the Vietnamese war.

I watched Top Gear, and didn't notice this as aimed at anyone - this bridge really did have a slope (i.e. tilt) from one side to another. Maybe I missed the reference.

I wouldn't put it past Clarkson to say something as unnecessarily offensive as this, and Top Gear is full of an awful lot of puerile crap these days (imho), but I suspect this particular thing is blown out of proportion.

Them dicking about and racing on public roads in large, unroadworthy vehicles, now that does bother me slightly. I guess if it's in a foreign country and nowhere near Chipping Norton it doesn't worry Clarkson or the beeb too much though.

Houchens Head

As usual I suspect it's people who didn't watch it who are making most noise about it.

As I said in an earlier comment, I DIDN'T watch it so I can't comment. :)

Otis

Yesterday: Daily Mirror says Clarkson used racist word (ni**er) on unaired clip from Top Gear.

Clarkson tweets: "I did not use the n word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time."

Mirror gets in audio foresinc experts to analyse the footage.

Today: Clarkson 'begs forgiveness for using the n word.'

:whistle:

lewys33

I don't understand if it is a racist word why is it not banned completely? Why can certain people use it?

smouch1975

'Slope' is racist in Australia. It's in reference to the typical angle of the fore-head apparently.

I'm sure the Arians are all over it.

Yes I got a nazi reference in. It a proper thread now!

mds

He`s a tool that likes to push the bounderies of tasteless insults, jokes and smartass comments, times up i think.

Otis

Another over the top reaction by the press.

It is, Mark, but the fact is that he keeps on doing it. Think that is why people are all over it. It is a catalogue of such ill advised or obnoxious comments. This in itself, is absoultely nothing, but tot all the things up and it's a lot more damning. The idiot just keeps on doing it.

Covstu

It is, Mark, but the fact is that he keeps on doing it. Think that is why people are all over it. It is a catalogue of such ill advised or obnoxious comments. This in itself, is absoultely nothing, but tot all the things up and it's a lot more damning. The idiot just keeps on doing it.

yes a catalogue of smart ass comments but I must admit a lot of what he says is actually quite funny. TG wouldn't be the same without him so there was no way they were getting rid of him. Lets hope this is an appropriate shot across the bow for him to rein it in a little.

Otis

yes a catalogue of smart ass comments but I must admit a lot of what he says is actually quite funny. TG wouldn't be the same without him so there was no way they were getting rid of him. Lets hope this is an appropriate shot across the bow for him to rein it in a little.

A bit more than smart ass comments I think Stu. 'But there's a Slope on it' is hardly smart ass.

I agree that this latest thing is just a joke, but he has a history of being offensive and coming out with racist comments, though I don't believe he is a racist. I think he just deliberately tries to be offensive. Calling Gordon Brown a one eyed Scottish idiot when the bloke is actually blind in one eye is not funny, clever or even smart ass. It's just offensive. Would he call David Blunkett, a blind person a no eyed idiot perhaps? Would anyone call a blind person a no eyed idiot? Is it therefore fine because it's just the one eye?

No excuse. And to my mind, the bloke isn't even remotely funny at all, which just makes it all so much worse.

Brighton Sky Blue

A bit more than smart ass comments I think Stu. 'But there's a Slope on it' is hardly smart ass.

I agree that this latest thing is just a joke, but he has a history of being offensive and coming out with racist comments, though I don't believe he is a racist. I think he just deliberately tries to be offensive. Calling Gordon Brown a one eyed Scottish idiot when the bloke is actually blind in one eye is not funny, clever or even smart ass. It's just offensive. Would he call David Blunkett, a blind person a no eyed idiot perhaps? Would anyone call a blind person a no eyed idiot? Is it therefore fine because it's just the one eye?

No excuse. And to my mind, the bloke isn't even remotely funny at all, which just makes it all so much worse.

He comes across as a boy who hasn't grown up and needs to compensate for it by driving massive cars and making wisecracks.

Frisky blue

Apparently 'slope' is a derogatory term for people of Asian descent.

Was not aware of that at all myself. Just because some of us don't know what it means though doesn't make it any less offensive if it was used as a derogatory term.

Users who are viewing this thread