Top British Bands - 60's-90's ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Had a conversation recently with a fellow music fan. He said the best British bands in his opinion came in the decades from the sixties up to the nineties, and then stopped. So this got me thinking about my " favourite" British bands from those decades. Breaking it down to top 6 in each category here's mine.
60's. Beatles- Stones- The Who- The Kinks- Small Faces- Cream.
70's. Deep Purple - Black Sabbath - Led Zeppelin- Queen-Hawkwind- Genesis.
80's. U2- Simple Minds- Big Country- Iron Maiden- Motorhead - Tears For Fears.
90's. Radiohead - Oasis - Manic Street Preachers- Stereophonics- The Verve- The Charlatans.
Not easy choosing six bands, as many bands carried on through all the decades. Pink Floyd for instance !
Just British bands ! 🎸🎤🎸

D

Deleted member 4439

Just worked out SLF good choice !

Criminal that the list doesn't include the Clash. SLF released a couple of corkers - and I still have two copies of their Rigid Digits release, one signed by Jake and the gang. But they don't even begin to compare to the Clash. Agree with the others of that genre though. Every time I hear Never Mind, I find myself marveling to Steve's wall of sound, topped by Lydon's lyrics.

clint van damme

Criminal that the list doesn't include the Clash. SLF released a couple of corkers - and I still have two copies of their Rigid Digits release, one signed by Jake and the gang. But they don't even begin to compare to the Clash. Agree with the others of that genre though. Every time I hear Never Mind, I find myself marveling to Steve's wall of sound, topped by Lydon's lyrics.

I was never as into the Clash as other people. Not that I didn't like them, just not as much. I've got mates who were/are fanatical about them.

Otis

Had a conversation recently with a fellow music fan. He said the best British bands in his opinion came in the decades from the sixties up to the nineties, and then stopped. So this got me thinking about my " favourite" British bands from those decades. Breaking it down to top 6 in each category here's mine.
90's. Radiohead - Oasis - Manic Street Preachers- Stereophonics- The Verve- The Charlatans.
Not easy choosing six bands, as many bands carried on through all the decades. Pink Floyd for instance !
Just British bands ! 🎸🎤🎸
Fo me, 70's would have to include the Clash, Pistols, Buzzcocks and Kraftwerk and 80's, New Order, Human League and Depeche Mode. Nirvana in the 90's.

CanadianCCFC

Also doesn’t answer the question but the only British band post-90s that I can think of who can even be in the conversation are the Arctic Monkeys, great band imo.

CanadianCCFC

60s - The Who, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Doors, The Stones

My music taste largely skips over the 70s except a bit of punk (Pistols, Clash) and then Joy Division. Also the Jam, theyre 70s/80s.

80s - The Smiths, The Stone Roses (80s/90s), The Cure, The Police, Pet Shop Boys

90s - Oasis, The Verve, The Charlatans, Shed Seven, Supergrass

May have missed some but oh well

bringbackrattles

60s - The Who, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Doors, The Stones

My music taste largely skips over the 70s except a bit of punk (Pistols, Clash) and then Joy Division. Also the Jam, theyre 70s/80s.

80s - The Smiths, The Stone Roses (80s/90s), The Cure, The Police, Pet Shop Boys

90s - Oasis, The Verve, The Charlatans, Shed Seven, Supergrass

May have missed some but oh well
Doors great band but American.

lifeskyblue

Does Elvis Costello and the Attractions count...I would include late 70s and early 80s.

Most bands appear across decades. Pink Floyd and Stones should appear at least twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Does Elvis Costello and the Attractions count...I would include late 70s and early 80s.

Most bands appear across decades. Pink Floyd and Stones should appear at least twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elvis Costello counts why not ? Some bands cross all decades. Floyd I listened to in the sixties, and the same with the Stones. Timeless bands !

Tommo1993

Strange question, what’s your ‘go to’ song at tough times? A song that for some reason makes you feel like everything will be ok.

D

Deleted member 4439

I don't believe that anything will be ever okay. But if I ever want to reach out in tears in the fact that everything is not okay and never will be then it's this

no_loyalty

Fo me, 70's would have to include the Clash, Pistols, Buzzcocks and Kraftwerk and 80's, New Order, Human League and Depeche Mode. Nirvana in the 90's.

You have missed off King 😂

ovduk78

Just British bands ! 🎸🎤🎸
Where are Free in your picks BBR?

Users who are viewing this thread