Top 10 worst decisions EVER by CCFC (1 Viewer)

Mr T - Sukka!

1) Getting rid of Jimmy Hill
2) Selling Highfeild Road
3) Sacking John Sillet
4) Bringing in Terry Butcher
5) Sacking Eric Black
6) Employing Brian Richardson
7) Selling Robbie Keane
8) Keeping Gordon Strachan too long that lead to relegation 2001
9) Not signing Marlon King on a 3 year deal
10) Handing control over to SISU

What are everyones thoughts? Your top 10?

LastGarrison

Off the top of my drunken head....

Brian Richardson
SISU
Gordon Strachan
The Ricoh
Selling Highfield Road
Signing Bellamy
Not signing McAllister on a long term contract
Not signing Keane on a long term contract
Not signing Hartson earlier
Sacking Eric Black

TimRussell

SELLING HIGHFIELD ROAD is the winner. A few more:

Appointing Jim Smith as Roly's assistant
Strachan accepting a "verbal agreement" from Rangers to sell us Jorg Albertz & Neil McCann at start of 2000-1 season
Signing John Aloisi then leaving him watching from the bench while we failed to score

skyblueflubsky

I agree, Shaw was a good servant to our club. Even though with hindsight we would never have had Bryan Richardson, without him we would never have got Robbie Keane in the first place!

torchomatic

Bryan Richardson deserves places 1-5 all on his own.
Selling HR
Strachan as manager
Butcher as manager
McAllister as manager
Getting rid of RR

WillieStanley

Selling HR before we had moved

Having no real plan towards owning the ground during the initial stages

Signing Bellamy

Not taking the American investor seriously

Sacking Black

Appointing Butcher

Not offering 3 years min. To MK

BR.

I don't know, there's far too many!

Marlon King
SISU in general
Peter Reid
Moving to the Ricoh with the lease based on fanbase twice our size
Contract negotiations (in general)
Filling our team with Division 1 players
Freddy Eastwood (should have got rid after 1yr)
Our Board (pretty much every board in my time supporting City has been full of bad decisions, we could make a top ten of this alone)
The diamond could turn out to be one of them

Thorny Subject

If we had signed Hartson 6 weeks earlier rather than trying to mess around with a pay as you play deal we would have stayed up. Who knows what the course of events would have been then, we would certainly have been more of a stoke city type than the plymouth argyle we are rapidly becoming.

torchomatic

Letting Jimmy Hill buy Washington Diplomats with our money was also rather stupid.

BurbageSkyBlues

Telling Newcastle united that we only needed 1500 tickets for the FA Cup match, when they offered us 7500......then they had to keep asking for thousands more when they kept selling out!....

Moff

Ten biggest mistakes (Part 1)

SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, SISU, allowing Ken Dulieu out of his padded cell to do interviews.

Nonleagueherewecome

That purple and yellow kit is surely number one by some distance.

I loved that kit. It was so bad it was good. Better than the red and white mini-checks one that looked pink from a distance.

Otis

Sacking Eric Black I think would be in everyone's top 10.

Every time I think of him I can't help but recall McGooity calling him the Messiah :facepalm:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
allowing Ken Dulieu out of his padded cell to do interviews.

Seems this isnt an issue anymore; he just takes the job on himself. Who needs interviews eh?? Bet he's gettin a wage per job aswell!!

Selling and moving from HR has to the biggest mistake in my eyes.
The sacking of Black was always going to be on this list (as soon as i seen the title I could predict that).

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My top bad decision would be moving from that fabulous old stadium we had at Highfield Road. I have so many memories of that ground, I weep when I think it's covered with bleedin' houses now! I know you shouldn't keep looking back, but I've been to a good few games at the Sicko (sorry, Ricoh), before I moved down south and there just wasn't the same atmosphere. Never will be.

"♪♫♪ ♪♫♫♪ Take me home, Highfield Road, to the place where I belong! ♪♫♪ ♪♫♫♪"

Pezza

Signing Richard Shaw wasn't one of their better decisions.

What a ridiculous comment, clearly you didn't watch city much back when Shaw was playing. He was great servant, loved the club and a steady player. I'm sure there was a time when he was head and shoulders above the rest of our defenders!

hamil99

Facebook User
What a ridiculous comment, clearly you didn't watch city much back when Shaw was playing. He was great servant, loved the club and a steady player. I'm sure there was a time when he was head and shoulders above the rest of our defenders!

Fully agree, Shaws the player Mcpake wants to be. Would love to see him back here coaching with carsley. Why would he though with the success he's having at millwall!

TheOldFive

Letting Jimmy Hill buy Washington Diplomats with our money was also rather stupid.

Correct. An awful lot started right from there. History has been very kind to Jimmy Hill, as Chairman there were some poor decisions not least going to all seater at HR too ahead of it's time which strangled atmosphere and revenues and disregarded what fans wanted. You could also suggest building the club up to Div 1 then waltzing off to TV was a bit shit, was thought so at the time. History may still yet be kind to SISU in 50 years (a Brody Statue anyone?) although Bryan Richardson is likely less redeemable...

Kuklinski

So because I didn't rate him I "clearly didn't watch much City"? I had a season ticket back then & I went to the majority of away games. But I also had the ability to make an opinion of a player who was poor. It's a novel concept mind - a centre-half who cannot head a ball. A centre-half who didn't want the ball & a centre-half who gave the ball away every single game.

If any of you want to wonder where it all started going wrong at City, you can start with the fans acceptance of players such as Shaw. If you accept shit, you get shit, and Shaw was one if the worst centre-halfs I have ever seen.

Mr T - Sukka!

I think Richard Shaw was simple but effective Kuklinski, yes i did notice with him he wasnt the most comfy player on the ball and always layed it off.

But dont forget he was a main stay in the Premier Leauge where a mistake is punished by a goal and he was playing against the best stikers in the world.

He more than held his own on many occasions in the PL, he is 10 times above any defender we have now. Just my view.

torchomatic

While obviously I agree, he was sacked when he was doing well, there's certainly no guarantee that he would have kept it up, it's a case of "we'll never know" with Black.

That is why I'm always so anti-Black whenever a manager gets sacked. I cringe at the prospect of Black or McAllister returning.

Sacking Eric Black I think would be in everyone's top 10.

standupforcity

Not Buying Henderson
Not Buying Cork
MK was a bad signing...gave us a false sense of security when he was never gonna stay.
Selling HR
BR
Not making Black manager
Selling Keane
Sacking Sillett
Selling Turner
Covenrty City Brown retro kit...yuk!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Can't agree with Mr Kuklinski on Richard Shaw. I thought he was a bloody good defender. One of the mainstays of the club. He stuck with us for years. If you want to talk about lazy defenders (in my opinion), then Paul Telfer and Paul Williams spring to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread