Too Old For Rock Concerts ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On a rock music site there's been a big discussion going on about a comment on social media, from a young music fan it seems where he has said anyone over the age of 35 shouldn't go to gigs etc. He says they look weird and freak out younger ones there. He added they should go to real ale festivals instead. This has caused a huge reaction as you would expect, and wonder what music fans on here think about this ? I'm in my sixties and still love rock music, but as mates no longer want to go to concerts, I don't bother. But to me age is irrelevant, if you enjoy it still why not go ?

Bugsy

On a rock music site there's been a big discussion going on about a comment on social media, from a young music fan it seems where he has said anyone over the age of 35 shouldn't go to gigs etc. He says they look weird and freak out younger ones there. He added they should go to real ale festivals instead. This has caused a huge reaction as you would expect, and wonder what music fans on here think about this ? I'm in my sixties and still love rock music, but as mates no longer want to go to concerts, I don't bother. But to me age is irrelevant, if you enjoy it still why not go ?

bollocks to that, don't matter what your age is you're there to enjoy music and drink plenty and have fun. The way its going no one will be aloud to do anything any more.

Bugsy

It’s a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind it doesn’t matter.

Although saying that if you’re a 65 year old single straight man going to watch Ariana Grande on your own you should probably give your head a wobble.

which head lol

LastGarrison

In the past couple of weeks I’ve been The Killers, Big Weekend and Meadowlands and had a top crack at all of them and I’m over 35!!

I was bouncing around with the ‘yute’ to Chase and Status and Gerry Cinnamon in particular and none of them seemed to mind!

skybluetony176

I think concerts are alright. Especially as most of the bands from my youth are still touring. I do have a mate who’s just turned 52 and is still spending a fortune going to raves. Mainly he goes to the big house clubs in London but also all around Europe including Ibiza every year. He thinks he’s still got it dropping pills and snorting the Columbian marching powder. He seems to have forgotten that when we were in our teens and early twenties we used to point and laugh at sad old fuckers like he is now when clubbing.

skybluetony176

In the past couple of weeks I’ve been The Killers, Big Weekend and Meadowlands and had a top crack at all of them and I’m over 35!!

I was bouncing around with the ‘yute’ to Chase and Status and Gerry Cinnamon in particular and none of them seemed to mind!
I have to sit at the back now. If I was bouncing around with the yute in the mosh pit like the good old days my dodgy knee would give up, I’d collapse on the floor and get trampled to death. Either that or straight to heart attack.

lifeskyblue

In my 60s and since end of lockdown seen Jethro Tull, Steve Hackett and both Marillion and Pink Floyd tribute acts. Ok all were music from my younger days and majority there were in their more mature years. The younger people there were fine and as long as you enjoy that music you are never too old or young to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

In my 60s and since end of lockdown seen Jethro Tull, Steve Hackett and both Marillion and Pink Floyd tribute acts. Ok all were music from my younger days and majority there were in their more mature years. The younger people there were fine and as long as you enjoy that music you are never too old or young to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went to my first festival aged 16 the Bath Festival then it became Glastonbury. Led Zeppelin headline act and enjoyed it that much carried on attending concerts well into my fifties. I said to a couple of mates in the pub recently what's the cut off point for being too old to go to football matches ? They both replied : when you're dead. 😉

olderskyblue

Didn’t realise there was an age limit to liking music. :unsure:

up until 2019, we were still going to Glastonbury every year, if we got tickets, and if it was on :)

Maybe it’s a different festival to most though, as it caters for all ages and tastes

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I hope the young music fan who doesn't want the over 35s going to gigs also feels the same way about musicians he goes to watch .

JAM See

Fuck him and fuck his prejudices.

If he loves his music, he'll be still there in 30 years time.

I do tend to fall into the 'going to my own age group' gigs (Undertones at the weekend were brilliant).

However, when I do go raving with the young ones, there's no age related banter, just the usual "Where you from mate, what you had, wanna do a swapsy"?

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I go to smaller indie gigs and the age range is vast..... been to warmduscher, yard act, dry cleaning, buzzard buzzard buzzard and JarvIs in recent months and I'd guess the average age was a little over 35 at all of them....

I'm a 50 year old indie kid and a very occasional illegal raver........

never catch me in a Nite klub tho.....cos all the girls are slags and the beer tastes just like piss

SkyBlueSoul

Like others have said, nonsense. I got my music taste from my Mum and even in her 60's I'll still take her to a gig if it's someone we like, still get standing tickets too. No different to going on an away day with my Dad in my eyes. If someone likes live music and is still able to go, why shouldn't they?

Terry_dactyl

Fuck him and fuck his prejudices.

If he loves his music, he'll be still there in 30 years time.

I do tend to fall into the 'going to my own age group' gigs (Undertones at the weekend were brilliant).

However, when I do go raving with the young ones, there's no age related banter, just the usual "Where you from mate, what you had, wanna do a swapsy"?
Fair play. I hung up my glow sticks in about 2001. I figured there must be people my age (or thereabouts?!) still at it. I reckon I’d have to take a month off work to recover nowadays.

As for an age limit on concerts. Absolute bullshit. It’s a very different experience.

Having said that, the last time I went to a nightclub, some years ago, I felt really old and out of place…despite not being the oldest in there. I also felt compelled to tell anyone I spoke to my age…
“I’m 40 you know”!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Liam Gallagher gave it the two fingers to the audience when her went to be interviewed a couple of hours or so before his set at the memorial park a couple of years back.
I remember thinking " You're too fucking old for that . You look a twat" or words to that effect . 😆

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm just the right side of 70. Bloody love my music and forever got my cans on listening to sounds rather than staring inanely at the telly. The only reason I don't go to festivals or concerts these days is that I've never heard of most of the acts! :ROFLMAO: Give me Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan or King Crimson any time!

bringbackrattles

I'm just the right side of 70. Bloody love my music and forever got my cans on listening to sounds rather than staring inanely at the telly. The only reason I don't go to festivals or concerts these days is that I've never heard of most of the acts! :ROFLMAO: Give me Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan or King Crimson any time!
I see Paul McCartney is on tonight at Glastonbury. Can't believe he's 80 and still going strong. He must drink Red Bull ,as they say it gives you wings. 😉

Malaka

I'm off to see Rammstein tomorrow, I'm 60 in August and I really don't give a shit what young people say. I'm at the front and I'm more excited than an 8 year old on Christmas Eve. I've got Guns'n'Roses next week. I still go to Death Metal gigs, and will continue go to as long as I can stand. When I go to see someone like Stereophonics I like to sit down and watch, but metal, i'm at the front.🤟🤟
giphy.gif

Malaka

I'm off to see Rammstein tomorrow, I'm 60 in August and I really don't give a shit what young people say. I'm at the front and I'm more excited than an 8 year old on Christmas Eve. I've got Guns'n'Roses next week. I still go to Death Metal gigs, and will continue go to as long as I can stand. When I go to see someone like Stereophonics I like to sit down and watch, but metal, i'm at the front.🤟🤟
giphy.gif
Well that was amazing!

SBT

Didn’t know else where to put it, but the fact that there’s now been a second death in this Brixton Academy crush is just terrifying. To think that a fan and a security guard can both be crushed to death at a huge venue like that is appalling and just shows it can happen anywhere. What kind of total prick thinks they can just try and storm the venue en masse?

Users who are viewing this thread