Tony Mowbray and how we got lucky! (4 Viewers)

stevefloyd

He's got a 45 % win ratio at Blackburn that includes a full championship season too.

They've had an indifferent start to the season no doubt but the championship is a big money division now and is getting harder.

I liked mowbray, enjoyed watching his brand of football and finished 8th in his only full season here...

Let's also remember they are in a division with teams that regularly get 24/25000 gates with big revenue, besides the odd one or two teams that are ran extremely well what do Blackburn fans expect?
Only 4 teams so far have over 24k attendance this season

Evo1883

Mowbray was dreadful here, the appalling job he did in 2016 relegated us to the fourth tier. Blackburn had a good enough squad to stay up in the Championship yet he failed to do that. I'd hardly give him credit for what's happened since.

They lost just 3 games from the time he took over that season.
The season he arrived we stayed up, the season after that we finished 8th, and the season after he left after 10 games... You can't blame Mowbray for us being relegated, as many including myself think if Robins was appointed instead of slade that season we would have stayed up... The reason we went down was largely down to Russel slade, he had 36 games to do something but was sacked after leaving us ridiculously far off safety.

The season we fell away, imo was more to do with injuries to Cargill, Turner, reda, Stokes... All serious injuries, we couldn't get a settled back line.. There was more than 4 too

skybluesam66

The season he arrived we stayed up, the season after that we finished 8th, and the season after he left after 10 games... You can't blame Mowbray for us being relegated, as many including myself think if Robins was appointed instead of slade that season we would have stayed up... The reason we went down was largely down to Russel slade, he had 36 games to do something but was sacked after leaving us ridiculously far off safety
There was another manager before Slade!

Grendel

The season he arrived we stayed up, the season after that we finished 8th, and the season after he left after 10 games... You can't blame Mowbray for us being relegated, as many including myself think if Robins was appointed instead of slade that season we would have stayed up... The reason we went down was largely down to Russel slade, he had 36 games to do something but was sacked after leaving us ridiculously far off safety.

The season we fell away, imo was more to do with injuries to Cargill, Turner, reda, Stokes... All serious injuries, we couldn't get a settled back line.. There was more than 4 too

We won 4 of the last 5 games in the first season. His record from Feb onwards was abysmal

Evo1883

We won 4 of the last 5 games in the first season. His record from Feb onwards was abysmal

We had a severely bad period of 9 games where we won 1

Then we won 5 drew 2 and lost 4 from that point.

It was those 9 games that screwed our season not the whole second half of the season

Grendel

We had a severely bad period of 9 games where we won 1

Then we won 5 drew 2 and lost 4 from that point.

It was those 9 games that screwed our season not the whole second half of the season

In his last 28 games we amassed 28 points

Evo1883

Let's remember last season , city were on a 7 game winless run where we picked up 2 points from 21..

Evo1883

In his last 28 games we amassed 28 points

You're overlapping seasons for starters there..
My argument to you is that the reason we fell away isn't because Mowbray is a terrible manager, which he certainly isn't, it's that we had that many injuries at the back and without the resources couldn't get a settled back line for long periods..

How else do you explain losing games by the odd goal which coincidentally coincides with the injury problems

Grendel

You're overlapping seasons for starters there..
My argument to you is that the reason we fell away isn't because Mowbray is a terrible manager, which he certainly isn't, it's that we had that many injuries at the back and without the resources couldn't get a settled back line for long periods..

How else do you explain losing games by the odd goal which coincidentally coincides with the injury problems

How do you explain a sudden resurgence of form at the end of the season when the pressure was off?

Evo1883

How do you explain a sudden resurgence of form at the end of the season when the pressure was off?

It's as simple as explaining the start of the following season, football and fine margins.
It happens Grendel, not everything is as simple as win lose or draw, otherwise Sean dyche would have lost his job last season etc etc

We played some great stuff under Mowbray and the shit he gets on here is frankly undeserved and embarrassing isn't it tbh

I mean you suggested Phil Neal was a good manager here and possibly eclipses Robins, which is one of the most absurd statements I've ever heard on here tbh

Evo1883

It is usually the same suspects though, I watched city in every single league game under him, I thought he left with dignity and rightly so at the time...didnt cling on, said if he couldn't get the team to fire he'd leave, and he did.

Last edited:

Grendel

It's as simple as explaining the start of the following season, football and fine margins.
It happens Grendel, not everything is as simple as win lose or draw, otherwise Sean dyche would have lost his job last season etc etc

We played some great stuff under Mowbray and the shit he gets on here is frankly undeserved and embarrassing isn't it tbh

I mean you suggested Phil Neal was a good manager here and possibly eclipses Robins, which is one of the most absurd statements I've ever heard on here tbh

Why? Neal with a threadbare squad achieved premiership stability after the horrors of Butcher and secured his legacy by signing Dublin

CJ_covblaze

There was another manager before Slade!

This is often forgotten about. Slade was a clueless clown but enough damage was done before his arrival. The Mowbray and Venus period was awful that’s season. Starting with selling Vincelot and releasing Martin so we could buy Turnbull. Vincelot was settled here and was one of our best players. Martin wasn’t a world beater but was a more than adequate option at Centre Half. Then there was signing the likes of Andre Wright. The whole season was set to fail from the beginning.

torchomatic

There was an interesting thread somewhere on Twitter - for fans of all clubs - Your last two managers; what is the worse result/performance from your best manager and what is the best result/performance from your worst manager.

I would think 6-2 home defeat against Yeovil for Robins and...er...what did Slade do? We did win a game with him in charge, I seem to remember.

Grendel

There was an interesting thread somewhere on Twitter - for fans of all clubs - Your last two managers; what is the worse result/performance from your best manager and what is the best result/performance from your worst manager.

I would think 6-2 home defeat against Yeovil for Robins and...er...what did Slade do? We did win a game with him in charge, I seem to remember.

I suppose slades best would be the Checkatrade semi win?

torchomatic

I suppose slades best would be the Checkatrade semi win?

Was that the Wycombe game? I missed that as I was in Walsgrave at the time but watched it on my phone. I forgot about that.

Grendel

Was that the Wycombe game? I missed that as I was in Walsgrave at the time but watched it on my phone. I forgot about that.

Yes I suppose it’s the only game of any note in his “reign”

covcity4life

It is usually the same suspects though, I watched city in every single league game under him, I thought he left with dignity and rightly so at the time...didnt cling on, said if he couldn't get the team to fire he'd leave, and he did.
Usual suspects who make shit up too. We had chance of playoffs till penulitmate gamw that season. Cracking football, a 20 goal striker and highest plsced finish in years

What a bastard lol

Grendel

Usual suspects who make shit up too. We had chance of playoffs till penulitmate gamw that season. Cracking football, a 20 goal striker and highest plsced finish in years

What a bastard lol

28 games 28 points

Users who are viewing this thread