Tom Fisher Q & A email (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Not yet read all the content as thought id share it first (cus im good like that. Dont expect it to be any thing we don't already know)

......…………………......…………………......…………………

With much speculation and comment on the situation regarding rent and revenues at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry City Chief Executive Tim Fisher has answered some of the burning questions.

What is the state of play regarding rent negotiations?
We were surprised to see media reports saying that the negotiations had broken down. As far as we were concerned they were ongoing.

On the back of those reports, I stated publicly that I felt it was time for an independent, third party mediator to get involved. We believe our case is right, solid and, to be frank, the only sustainable way forward for the football club, while ACL, the Council and the Higgs believe they are right.

Rather than fight this out in the media, let’s have someone who understands both football and business who can come in with an objective view and listen to the facts around what is happening here. We can all then agree to work towards a solution set out by that independent party.

Why have you turned down an offer of £150,000 a year in rent?
We have never been offered a rent of £150,000 a year. In fact, we have agreed to pay a rent of £400,000 per year. The £150,000 figure is completely misleading and false. The business rates valuation office has indicated that we might be owed a rebate on the rates we have been paying (because playing home matches does not amount to full occupation for rates purposes) – a rebate that has nothing to do with ACL.

The club has overpaid business rates for many years and, for whatever reason, ACL are off-setting this cash rebate against rent in quoting £150,000 a year.

The big point here is that the future of football is going to be around driving in every strand of possible revenues and having access to them.

Why are the revenues so important?
This is where I have to talk about Financial Fair Play and the Salary Cap.

I understand it may not be on the top of the list of priorities for a lot of supporters but it is real and it is happening. In a nutshell, you are now only permitted to have a total first team playing squad cost (in terms of salaries and fees) which corresponds to a certain percentage of your revenue. So it is vital that we need to increase our revenue to put quality on the pitch, it’s as simple as that. It hasn’t hit us as hard this year as some of our current players fall outside the actual squad costs due to the date they signed their contracts with us. However, next season will be a completely different story as every penny we spend on players will be counted by the Football League and if we exceed our Salary Cap under the rules of Financial Fair Play, we will be immediately be placed under transfer embargo, it’s as simple as that.

So, as I say, we feel we are very close to an agreement on rent but we have to be able to access those matchday revenues. If we don’t, the playing squad will suffer and we will be placed into a downward spiral. People may say food and beverage revenues are not very significant but in the final year at Highfield Road, they amounted to more than £1million.

So how can you access the food and beverage revenues?
It is very difficult. ACL sold the food & beverage business to Compass for millions of pounds. Therefore, the contract on match day food and beverage is with Compass. Herein lies the big problem. We haven’t yet had any consistent numbers on food and beverage, despite numerous requests, and there hasn’t been a conversation with Compass. That is why it is impossible for us to have agreed a deal because until we have those numbers and have those conversations, a deal cannot be struck on how we access revenues.

So why didn’t SISU raise these questions about rent and revenues when they bought the club?
Firstly, the initial deal between the football club and ACL on rent was always going to become a real issue at some stage and everyone involved must share blame on that one. I have looked at the details and it is just an incredibly unfair deal, frankly.

When SISU took over the club, a deal on the stadium should have been a priority but the initial focus was on the team. The recent introduction of Financial Fair Play has really focused the minds on what revenues are required. The rules of the game have changed. Football clubs have to show themselves to be solid sustainable businesses that only spend what they can afford and, as I said above, if you break the rules there are severe consequences.

It has always been the aim to get the club on sound footing where it gets closer to break even, but that has become more immediate.

So you admit SISU has made mistakes?
Absolutely and Joy Seppala has apologised for them but none of us should forget that she has put nearly £45 million into the club and continued to fund it without a penny in return; she is totally committed to the club. We want to get back into the Championship as quickly as possible and that cannot be seen in isolation from getting the club onto a sound financial footing, the two now go hand-in-hand.

The more revenues we generate beyond season tickets, match tickets, sponsorships, retail sales the more we can put onto the pitch. That is why those additional revenues are crucial to us. I know some supporters may never like SISU. But the aim of actually getting to a point where the club is less reliant on funding from the owner has to be good for everyone.

And are you really willing to build a new stadium if talks break down and, if so, how can you afford it if you won’t pay the rent?
The ideal scenario is we find an agreement that suits all parties that sees Coventry City playing at the Ricoh Arena in the long term. But if that agreement cannot be found, we have to look at alternatives.

Building a new stadium would require a detailed consultation with fans and would require a long-term finance deal from outside investors. But it would mean we would be in control of our own destiny and our own revenues and it would be far better financially than the current deal on revenues and rent.

As I say, we still believe a deal can be reached and that is why we have called for an independent third party to come in.

Going back to the start of all this, why did you stop paying the rent and not just ask for a better deal?
The football club had been locked into a 49-year rental agreement with no break clauses in to allow a review when circumstances change and, ask anyone in business, they would expect breaks in a rental agreement of this kind. It was in excess of £1 million rent each year and rising per annum.

I had to take a radical position, dig my football club heels in order to focus people’s minds. We were, put simply, a club with an unsustainable financial position, which included that rent. It was way in excess of what the club could afford and the discussions were falling on deaf ears. But when people say we ‘stopped’ paying, that’s not correct because a very substantial sum of interim rent has been paid to ACL.

How much has been paid since the club ‘stopped’ paying?
I think this is a point that has often been missed. There was an account set up for ACL to draw down money from the football club. When we stopped paying the rent there was more than £500,000 in that account. It has been emptied by ACL. We have since paid over £300,000 in so-called matchday fees or interim rent since the start of the season, thanks to a deal brokered by our financial director and the former chief executive of the Ricoh Arena, Daniel Gidney. Those matchday fees don’t include things such as policing, stewarding, West Midlands Ambulance Service and St John’s Ambulance. We pay for those separately and additionally. So while it’s often said we haven’t paid the rent, more than £800,000 has been paid by the club to ACL since I took the stance last spring.

So have the club’s banks been frozen and what does this mean?
I have read and seen concerns that this could have led to staff, including players, not being paid but we are working as hard as we possibly can to make sure we can still operate and function on a normal basis and that staff are being paid as usual. I know people look upon us as big bad SISU, but we cannot be forced into a deal that is not the right one in the long term for the football club – because that’s just not viable for any party involved. The football club comes first.

What assurances did Mark Robins not receive before he left the club?
Mark knew the situation when he arrived and while, yes, he did want to know what the Salary Cap for next season was going to be, I don’t think the part that played in his departure should be overstated. But, let’s be clear, the candidates for the managerial post now are all asking about Financial Fair Play and Salary Cap. As I said, football is changing and if candidates are asking that question, it shows you how important it is. It’s right that football becomes a more sustainable business but, at the moment, the way Coventry City is unable to access all of the revenues means we are going to be hamstrung next season.

What is your final message to the supporters?
This is not as simple as a rent reduction so to those who just say ‘pay up’ or take the offer on the table, I say: a) we have paid more than £800,000 since this blew up last spring; and b) it’s about getting a long-term deal that means the club can compete with others on a level financial playing field.

I understand that supporters just want a resolution because of the time this has dragged on for but we have to get this right now in the short, medium and long-term interests of Coventry City. As I said before, the club comes first.

dadgad

Him saying we must strive to achieve "a level financial playing field" - is Sisu speak for: SPIN THIS SHOITE SO WE CAN CARRY ON UNDERMINING THE CLUB WHILE APPEARING TO CARE FOR THE CLUB.
(a fair few of the fans are so thick they'll actually buy it):facepalm:

mexico88

1. They admit they continue to make mistakes. But it's ok because they have put £45m in... But they haven't put it in... They have just moved it about.

2. Why did you stop paying the rent and not just ask for a better deal? I had to take a radical decision... ...and dig my heels in. Will you do the same when SISU's had enough?

3. Joy is totally committed to the club. Committed to the club, or committed to the investment? The two are very different.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Interesting that he brings Highfield Road into one of his answers. I wonder what rent we paid the developer who brought the ground for the final few years we spent there!

Also, he mentions fan consultation if we had no option but to build a ground of our own! I hope if it came to that (which i dont believe it EVER will), they consult us on more than just what seats we want! Does anyone else remember the developers of the Ricoh holding a meeting for fans so they could go and see a video of how the Ricoh could look, and they had three different seats for fans to choose from?

Nonleagueherewecome

So it's 45m now? That's gone up another 5...I'm sorry, but what on earth have they spent 45m on? The rent in their tenure amounts to less than 10m...they've made money on transfers...45m in player wages? Paying up existing debts?

dadgad

It's flannel, not that the Sisu brigade will actually have the attention span to actually read it let alone realise that, once again, they're being sold BS.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
No analysis, because we have all commented on it all previously.......... but ......

Some of it is quite right. For example the rent offered isnt £150K, such things are misleading

Dont want to discuss in the media ...... but there you go..... again..... :facepalm:

mediation is just discussions with a referee....... havent they been discussing then? Now arbitration that would be different....

FL rules regarding salaries etc do have certain exclusions and even as things stand mean we have one of the top 3 or 4 budgets in the division. (and we are still not in the playoffs)

The rent is an entirely different issue to the F&B's so can be settled in terms of value, my understanding is that a new lease is not on the table

The rates rebate may or may not be achieved......... we may not physically use the stadium everyday but FL rules require the club to have first call on it at all times and there by leaves the problem if that is the basis of appeal. Also rates will come down if rent comes down (rateable value calculations are based on rental value). Oh btw ACL have a third party debtor order over the refund

If Compass own the catering rights ........... why are SISU talking to ACL about them ? And if Compass own those rights how is it possible to include them in the "rental" discussions? Oh it is easy to pick out one special event year at HR what was it the year before?

The whole reason there is an escrow account is that CCFC is a poor credit risk, and it has been proven necessary hasnt it. The court not ACL has given judgement that the Escrow is legal and needs topping up ........... *edit The escrow account was established in 2005 (was there before SISU got here and was part of what they bought but given no value to their deal 2007), it is an amount put on deposit which under the terms of the lease neither side can touch unless certain events take place..... so if you want to be pedantic about it then it has not actually been paid out this year by CCFC or SISU at all

new stadium ........ been discussed before and on our current wage structure it is not a better financial option when you factor in finance costs, depreciation costs, time lines and the fact that unless the current lease is broken then it is still valid .....

so have the bank accounts been frozen or not TF?........... it is not actually what a third part debtor order does and is an inconvenience nothing more given the funding SISU have available

Thats it I really can not be bothered to comment further...... In the last week TF has been on the radio what 4 times, been quoted in press god knows how much, now this ............but he doesnt want to do negotiations in the press.............. sorry but this is actually just more spin

Both sides need a solid commitment to actually do a deal and not to keep thinking of new stuff to get in its way......... just looks like more delaying to me

Last edited:

Tonylinc

I really don't know what to think any more. I am perhaps the biggest critic of Sisu and can't handle the thought of them getting their grubby little hands on any part of the stadium BUT there has to be a resolution to this sorry state of affairs.

Ashdown1

I just can't read anything about this twat anymore, he's sold his soul to the devil and will say anything for a living wage. Tim, nice but dim, please leave Coventry !

Nonleagueherewecome

I really don't know what to think any more. I am perhaps the biggest critic of Sisu and can't handle the thought of them getting their grubby little hands on any part of the stadium BUT there has to be a resolution to this sorry state of affairs.

Hmm, like Poland knew that the Danzig Corridor was an issue that wasn't going to simply go away?

Tonylinc

I just can't read anything about this twat anymore, he's sold his soul to the devil and will say anything for a living wage. Tim, nice but dim, please leave Coventry !
A bit harsh Ash. I too really have a dislike for this man but some of what he said did make sense. A I have said previously, I hate the thought of Sisu getting any sort of control over the stadium BUT what is the alternative?

Ashdown1

Tim and his mentors blew it once and for all when they set out their stall to force ACL into cash flow difficulties, they have soured the negotiating process beyond redemption.........As CCFC fans we all dream of a club and stadium united and the extra revenue this would bring. I don't believe for a second that SISU set out to do this though, they wanted the arena alright but for their own profit gains that's all and the potential of the surrounding land.

Tonylinc

Tim and his mentors blew it once and for all when they set out their stall to force ACL into cash flow difficulties, they have soured the negotiating process beyond redemption.........As CCFC fans we all dream of a club and stadium united and the extra revenue this would bring. I don't believe for a second that SISU set out to do this though, they wanted the arena alright but for their own profit gains that's all and the potential of the surrounding land.
Yes yes, I accept all of that BUT what is the alternative?

J

Jack Griffin

Doesn't say much more than before, but it sheds some light on the current arrangement.

However given my deep distrust of SISU I wonder if can this statement be taken at face value, I'd like to think so..
How much has been paid since the club ‘stopped’ paying?
I think this is a point that has often been missed. There was an account set up for ACL to draw down money from the football club. When we stopped paying the rent there was more than £500,000 in that account. It has been emptied by ACL. We have since paid over £300,000 in so-called matchday fees or interim rent since the start of the season, thanks to a deal brokered by our financial director and the former chief executive of the Ricoh Arena, Daniel Gidney. Those matchday fees don’t include things such as policing, stewarding, West Midlands Ambulance Service and St John’s Ambulance. We pay for those separately and additionally. So while it’s often said we haven’t paid the rent, more than £800,000 has been paid by the club to ACL since I took the stance last spring.

All being as it seems, my interpretation would be that a shade over £300,000 rent contribution has been paid.. the emptying of the escrow isn't rent, it is part of the £1.3M debt the club owes.

par1sons

It's flannel, not that the Sisu brigade will actually have the attention span to actually read it let alone realise that, once again, they're being sold BS.
It's not about the flannel its about having a company who is willing to invest in a league 1 club. What part of we are not a big do you not understand! We have a company who is trying to do things the right way with barriers we currently have in our way. If you had your way along with all the other fans that don't understand business, we would be following in pompys footsteps.

par1sons

So it's 45m now? That's gone up another 5...I'm sorry, but what on earth have they spent 45m on? The rent in their tenure amounts to less than 10m...they've made money on transfers...45m in player wages? Paying up existing debts?

It's always been 45million. Who do you think paid off debts and money owed plus carrys on backing a level 2 football academy (level 1 being the very best for those who don't know)

par1sons

Things are now that bad with regards to food and drink, Costa bloody coffee now has stalls inside the stands...what a joke but let's blame sisu for that and forget how ACL tried to make 20 million profit when sisu wanted to buy the 6 million catering contract

grego_gee

Oh dear!
We're buggered!
After reading this, I suddenly don't see any way out of it for Sisu.
We have been buggered by the council!
Its going to get bumpy!

:pimp:

par1sons

Things are bad with the current owners trying there hardest to make this club work and exist but you get fans who simply don't live in the real world. Id love a sugar daddy to take over but it ain't gonna happen. Every other club outside the premier league are in massive debt some clubs owing over 100million. Cov owe nothing in real terms but are trying to work with what they generate, good business sense but sadly not what the majority of cov fans want to hear
:pimp:[/QUOTE]

grego_gee

Things are bad with the current owners trying there hardest to make this club work and exist but you get fans who simply don't live in the real world. Id love a sugar daddy to take over but it ain't gonna happen. Every other club outside the premier league are in massive debt some clubs owing over 100million. Cov owe nothing in real terms but are trying to work with what they generate, good business sense but sadly not what the majority of cov fans want to hear

Yep thats what I thnk too.
But I think TF is running out of moves.
The council have the legal high ground and I don't see them backing down.
They dont want to listen.
They will smoke SISU!
But I don't see them picking up the pieces.
And no one else will.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

It's always been 45million. Who do you think paid off debts and money owed plus carrys on backing a level 2 football academy (level 1 being the very best for those who don't know)

So how much has that cost them a season? If we're losing this much money, the rent is a drop in the ocean of debt, surely?

Tonylinc

I've got it. Give Sisu a freehold lease for say.....3 years ie they get all the income from the stadium for that period and lets see how far that takes us. Of course they would have to agree a fair rent for the period AND PAY IT. But at no time would they be allowed to sell the lease to a third party. In that way we would all see how serious they are about making the club the number 1 priority.

dadgad

I've got it. Give Sisu a freehold lease for say.....3 years ie they get all the income from the stadium for that period and lets see how far that takes us. Of course they would have to agree a fair rent for the period AND PAY IT. But at no time would they be allowed to sell the lease to a third party. In that way we would all see how serious they are about making the club the number 1 priority.

If that were possible that actually sounds like a good idea.
At the moment F&B is held up as the reason Sisu will not agree to pay the rent. I think this is bollocks because I believe Sisu originally wanted to force ACL to sell the ground by forcing their bankruptcy.
Now we're told they cannot support the team because of "concerns over FFP rules" and a wish to be "sustainable".
Sustainability was a lot more possible with a fan base of 22,000 six years ago but no matter - we are where we are. So call their bluff.
Give them (as TonyLinc suggests) the F&B and see if next time we have a McGoldick or a MK or a MR these people are encouraged to stick around.
Somehow I suspect that this is NOT what Sisu want.....they've reduced the fortunes of this team and club year on year, split the fan base and alienated the community, city and council.
THe club is managerless, in turmoil and the season over in FEb. Now they say everything will be ok if they get a cut on pies and bovril. What a joke.
:mad::(:mad::facepalm:

Last edited:

singers_pore

There is some truth in what TF says about the club having no financial future without access to club revenues and a reasonable rent. I applaud the fact that TF is communicating with fans about these issues.

However, the key fact is that SISU f***ed it up when they took over the club by not agreeing everything up front about the stadium, its purchase, and rent. They really have no one else to blame other than themselves.

I recall that when the takeover happened, many fans were speculating that SISU were buying the club only to get their hands on the stadium. So clearly the fans knew what the major asset was but apparently SISU did not realize as they failed to negotiate this crucial point before acquiring the club. Frankly, such incompetence is staggering and I have little sympathy for them. A fool and his money are easily parted. I see no future for the club while SISU remain in charge as they have shown themselves to be utterly incapable.

It is alleged that Joy is 100% committed but I doubt that we are the only investment she is handling. So can she really be spending that much time sorting out our affairs? I realize she has employed TF and SW and a host of previous people to do just that. However, this strategy of having outside management clearly hasn't worked in the past and it doesn't seem to be working now either. Moreover, paying the likes of TF and SW to manage the club (on a part time basis!!) means more cash going out of the club.

I think CCFC needs an owner who really understands the football industry and who is willing to manage all of the club's day to day affairs. Most importantly, that owner will have the common sense to come to an agreement with all major contractual entities before taking over the club. The failure of SISU to do that upon takeover is is a very expensive mistake.

All this stuff about building a new stadium is pie-in-the-sky nonsense. It simply shows how bereft of common sense TF, SW and SISU really are. It seems that TF now realizes this as the comments in his latest Q&A seem to be distancing himself from the notion that the club will build a new stadium.

Many of the posters on here have pointed out the incompetence of Coventry council and that they should not be allowed to run a private business. Well they are running rings around the so-called experts at SISU. So what does that say about SISU's competence?

dadgad

All good points Singas Pore but we're looking for a new way out of the impasse.
Tony Linc is suggesting one possibility - not perfect but better than nothing and certainly better for the club which is currently dying on its feet.
Sisu - as most recognise - are clueless about football and even though they are owners of the club have no interest in developing success on the pitch as a way of clawing back a return on their investment.
This much is painfully clear.

sky blue john

Spot on singers pore !!!
This commumication from TF is to little to late in my oppinion. It would have been welcomed early in their tenure. Also they should have taken up their option straight away in the stadium before anyone including the counsel new what they were like.

grego_gee

Spot on singers pore !!!
This commumication from TF is to little to late in my oppinion. It would have been welcomed early in their tenure. Also they should have taken up their option straight away in the stadium before anyone including the counsel new what they were like.

What are they like?
And how does that compare to the mythical alternative?

Lord_Nampil

Spot on singers pore !!!

Trouble is u had 2 people in charge who weren't interested in doing this, with ray ranson and onye. They decided in signing loads of players and appointing a big name manager! It fisher had of been here 5 1/2 yrs ago when they took over I'm sure we would have done the right thing from the off! In my opinion ray ranson wasted so much money in the first 12 months on contracts etc that later back fired and affected us! This q&a session shows how grate those mistakes have been and why the agreement with the stadium is now so important!!! Even if the rent is agreed there would be no long term future for the club with no access to revenue streams from match days and that's something Tim Fisher is trying I get over to the supporters and I am guessing ACL !

sky blue john

Lord Nampil even with match day revenue i fear it will still be bleak. There is just not enough which is obvious by ACLs recent financial problems.

Lord_Nampil

Lord Nampil even with match day revenue i fear it will still be bleak. There is just not enough which is obvious by ACLs recent financial problems.

I guess as he's said in the q&a that's why he wants to see the numbers! Although a new agreement could bring in more sponsors etc. the fact we had over £1 million from this in our final season at highfield road shows we must have missed out on more while at the Ricoh, the agreement made is killing he club,

Users who are viewing this thread