Tom Davies contract extension. Yes or No ? (3 Viewers)

Davies to have extension triggered

• Total voters

Cavan O'Doherty

Sounds like any players that want to stay here should steer clear of this Dawkins chap next season!
He sounds like a bit of a pot stirrer to me. He was also saying that Oggy was forced out rather than choosing to retire himself. Sounds like sour grapes because his mates were let go by Robins. Bit of a McSheffrey character, thinking the club owes his mates for the promotion season.

steve82

Will be a shame but Tom did indicate he wanted assurances on playing time. He’s 27 and has the passion and desire to play weekly. We can all understand that and if he has to leave to achieve it well he pretty much indicted that too so he can try and have a career to look back on fondly.

If MR has not been able to then it’s likely they’ve decided it’s best that Tom moves on be it likely reluctantly on both sides.

That’s football and tough decisions have to be made ahead of each summer just like with Stokes last year, and makes logical sense with the new lad arriving and Drysdale earlier in the year.

Football is a business and sentiment is in short supply in the modern game however popular a player is in the fan base or dressing room.

In MR we trust.... best wishes Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Big fan of Davies' no nonsense approach but appreciate we're trying to do something more. Best of luck to him, did well when he played and never shied yaw, unfortunate for him that Hyam turned out so good.

On another note, it's been a long time since the club moved on from well liked players because we're moving to the next level. Different kind of departure and long may it continue I guess.

Warwickhunt

Big fan of Davies' no nonsense approach but appreciate we're trying to do something more. Best of luck to him, did well when he played and never shied yaw, unfortunate for him that Hyam turned out so good.

On another note, it's been a long time since the club moved on from well liked players because we're moving to the next level. Different kind of departure and long may it continue I guess.
Jimmy Hill got rid of some popular players in his day! Decisions that used to baffle us supporters at the time, we have to trust MR and hope that he is not a grudge manager.

Warwickhunt

Sounds like any players that want to stay here should steer clear of this Dawkins chap next season!
You may not be far wrong with your assumptions ChiefDave! Perhaps he leaks to much info about the club from having a friendship with City Players like he does! you never know??

Esoterica

Really likeable guy. Always stands out when he plays because of his size and bravery and has been our only threat from attacking corners all season. Have a nagging doubt over how successful Hyam and Davies would have been over the course of a season though as he's so slow heading back to goal if the ball goes over the top of him or is moved quickly on the deck and Hyam is not quick either. Consequently I always feel Davies pulls our defence too deep, either in reluctance to get caught high up the pitch or in being slow to get up the pitch after the ball has been cleared. That then causes the knock on effect of sucking our midfield deep, stretching our lines and leaving our striker isolated which has a negative effect on the style we're trying to play.
Will be a good player in the right team but that missing yard of pace will always hold him back I feel.

Skyblue_CP

Has done a solid enough job for us, but i dont think he is good enough to hold down a starting position like he would like if we have ambitions of stepping back to the championship. Hes not actually as strong as he should be/looks in the air and is exceptionally slow, especially paired with Hyam. Hyam is an excellent reader of the game so gets away with it wheres Davies always finds himself too high and cant recover. Think the idea is Hyam and Rose. But who knows Williams could also step up, maybe even Drysdale aswell.

luwalla

Be interested to see if he plays today, as I saw him out in leamington last night with jack grimmer

jordan210

I don't get this. We struggle to keep central defenders fit. unless MR has a whole load of them lined up. We really should be keeping TD

shmmeee

reports on social media he's been let go, key words, social media, so could be absolute bollocks.
Robins must either have a superior centre half lined up or must think he can bring one of the young lads through if true.
For me, if him and Willis go, we would be seriously weakened in a position we were really strong in this season.

He might have an experienced CB lined up. If we can bring a spine of GK CB CM in it’ll add much needed noise to this talented young side.

Grendel

He doesn’t want to stay so what is the point - forcing an unhappy player to sign an extension is counter productive

clint van damme

He might have an experienced CB lined up. If we can bring a spine of GK CB CM in it’ll add much needed noise to this talented young side.

that's what I'm hoping for though none of us know what he has in mind for Rose, maybe he expects him to slot straight in to the starting 11.

SBAndy

that's what I'm hoping for though none of us know what he has in mind for Rose, maybe he expects him to slot straight in to the starting 11.

I’d doubt that from his comments regarding plans to activate the option. Would expect we have a replacement lined up.

Grendel

I think he’s fairly lowly paid and just wants out

chiefdave

He sounds like a bit of a pot stirrer to me.
The name rings a bell. Wasn’t there something previously where he reckoned he’s overheard something which turned out to be bollocks. Might be confusing him with someone else.

There’s a lot of people who like to think they are somehow insiders with information the rest of us don’t have. Don’t get it myself, only raises false hopes and / or causes trouble.

Tommo1993

Not saying he’s right or wrong, but there are people out there who get a right hard on by thinking they’re in the know and distributing rumours to all us little oblivious fans. Zzzz

fernandopartridge

I'd imagine Davies has said he'll only sign if he's a guaranteed starter. Robins won't guarantee that so therefore easier all round to let him find a new club.
As a player, like Esoterica says he really struggles going back towards his own goal, even more than the pretty pedestrian Hyam

larry_david

Iid get a fee for him then. Won promotion from league 2 and played a part in a team that will finish top 10 league 1. With that year extention he'll be worth some dosh surely

AlansEyes

Embarrassing social media comments - I've just seen our third choice centre back referred to as 'one of our best players.' I like Davies and would like to keep him, but come on - he's no Aaron Martin!

Also saw people on Twitter disgusted at the suggestion of Oggy being forced out (imagine that, a 61 year old being encouraged to take retirement after 40+ years in a career). I assume these aren't the same people who would slate Oggy every time Burge/RCC fucked up?

better days

I'd heard a while back that TD would leave if the chance came

Doyler was a big part of the reason he joined us, together with Davies' desire for game time that he wasn't getting at Portsmouth
When Doyler left Davies was apparently one of the few players he said goodbye to. It was a shock to most of the others
Davies has always given 100% effort when he does feature and wanting to play is something most fans see as a positive quality
I suspect Robins and TD have had a chat about the future and Robins gave him the 'not in my plans' information
Football moves on and the only real constant is the fans
I wouldn't be surprised if Oggy was asked to leave too and I have a feeling that there might be other changes in the support staff planned

rob9872

Tom's a great lad but we have an upgrade due on a similar type of player that we need if sources are correct.

rob9872

Nah he'll be back up and in development I think

rob9872

Don't want to be responsible for putting names out there as our business been pretty swift and often under radar past couple of windows which is how it should be. Will post when I'm told I can, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread