Toilet roll 2.0? (1 Viewer)

Otis

There will be tens of thousands of them. You just watch. All whizzing down the shops to buy stuff they don't even need just in case.

Someone's going to come home from work to find a larder full of asparagus, 20 cartons of long life milk and 50 cans of kidney beans that their partner has bought as a contingency aren't they.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

All this hysteria on the news and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy !

SBT

I think the shortages have been an issue well before any panic buying (not that I've seen any evidence of that) - it's very much a supply issue rather than a demand one, and I'm not sure how you go about hoarding fresh produce the same way as toilet roll...

Hertsccfc

I think the shortages have been an issue well before any panic buying (not that I've seen any evidence of that) - it's very much a supply issue rather than a demand one, and I'm not sure how you go about hoarding fresh produce the same way as toilet roll...
I don't think you can even freeze things like tomatoes, cucumbers or peppers. Maybe you can but they aren't going to taste very good so why would anyone buy loads of this sort of thing.

skybluetony176

I don't think you can even freeze things like tomatoes, cucumbers or peppers. Maybe you can but they aren't going to taste very good so why would anyone buy loads of this sort of thing.
Don’t want to give the loonies a tip but you could make batches of tomato sauce with the peppers and tomatoes then freeze it. Not sure about the cucumbers though.

Hertsccfc

Don’t want to give the loonies a tip but you could make batches of tomato sauce with the peppers and tomatoes then freeze it. Not sure about the cucumbers though.
I grew some tomatoes last year and ended up with a bit of a glut so your tip might come into some use later in the year.

Astute

A combination of poor weather conditions in Europe and Africa and, as usual, Brexit.
So Brexit caused the war in Europe which has made energy prices spiral and also caused extreme weather in the countries where we normally get our veg from?

But you're correct, Brexit blamed as usual.

Astute

I must have moved to another continent without realising.
Why is that?

The UK doesn't get big supplies from Italy. France doesn't have shortages either but they don't come from there either. You can't suddenly get tonnes of veg from where you don't have contracts with. Most is spoken for with present contracts. The Netherlands were also big suppliers. But they grew winter foods because energy prices were so high.

PVA

So Brexit caused the war in Europe which has made energy prices spiral and also caused extreme weather in the countries where we normally get our veg from?

But you're correct, Brexit blamed as usual.

Sorry I meant poor growing conditions and Brexit are the actual reasons, but not necessarily the reasons given

PVA

How is it Brexit?

This detailed diagram explains!

Fpodu-sWAAAgh5Z

Nick

Administrator
Everything is Brexit.

I'm going to not turn up to work for a week and just blame Brexit. I'm hoping that it distracts my boss so he rants about Brexit to realise I was on the lash for a week.

PVA

Everything is Brexit.

I'm going to not turn up to work for a week and just blame Brexit. I'm hoping that it distracts my boss so he rants about Brexit to realise I was on the lash for a week.

Well not everything, but leaving your nearest and biggest trading partner does have quite the impact.

Just a coincidence that we're the only country in Europe having to ration tomatoes I'm sure.

olderskyblue

For once, my dislike of tomatoes and cucumber has come in useful...

Users who are viewing this thread