Todd Kane - a simpler explanation? (1 Viewer)

JimmyHillsbeard

After the announcement of Saturday’s starting XI - and without discussing the merits of the individuals involved, we were discussing how far down the pecking order Todd Kane has fallen.

The right back he competed with last season got injured, so did the replacement rwb and then a third was switched from the left side to the right ahead of him. Now we are all aware of the various stories about why he fell out with staff/players but it might be worth noting that he’s made 30 appearances and started 24 games for us.

Perhaps it’s the case that a 25th start would trigger a payment to QPR that the club are reluctant to make?

wingy

After the announcement of Saturday’s starting XI - and without discussing the merits of the individuals involved, we were discussing how far down the pecking order Todd Kane has fallen.

The right back he competed with last season got injured, so did the replacement rwb and then a third was switched from the left side to the right ahead of him. Now we are all aware of the various stories about why he fell out with staff/players but it might be worth noting that he’s made 30 appearances and started 24 games for us.

Perhaps it’s the case that a 25th start would trigger a payment to QPR that the club are reluctant to make?
Wasn't he free?

SkyBlueScottie

I think it was a question of timing, we needed a right back, he was available there was a link, with Viveash, and he is clearly talented, so we decided to proceed, he started very well, so well, people were questioning why QPR got rid. Over time he has become less effective and Robins wants a new right back. He seems more interested in posting his stats on Instagram rather than be effective on the pitch.

Nick

Administrator
I think it was a question of timing, we needed a right back, he was available there was a link, with Viveash, and he is clearly talented, so we decided to proceed, he started very well, so well, people were questioning why QPR got rid. Over time he has become less effective and Robins wants a new right back. He seems more interested in posting his stats on Instagram rather than be effective on the pitch.

Yeah it doesn't really work like that.

You can't just keep signing players who won't be on a cheap wage and then decide you want a new one without getting rid.

shmmeee

He’s just a bit crap innit?

We always get this when a player isn’t selected then they come in and are garbage.

Hertsccfc

The simple explanation in my view is that all of the players we have played ahead of him are better. I don't trust him defensively and he is wasteful going forward. Dabo is better and from what I have seen of Eccles and Burroughs they have lots of potential and already offer more than Kane does.

CDK

Thought he was a good signing,do not know what has happened as still think he's got the ability and got to be frustrated not playing,as for the rumours who knows.
Robins needs to be giving players some pitch time even in the 2nds that's a major criticism of him constantly.

wingy

Well there was a bit of debate on here re who out of him and Dabo should be in and I was one at the time who favoured Kane .
I'm still of that view but what's gone on behind the scenes ?
And like has been mentioned he certainly wouldn't be able to hit the ground running on the minute's he's been getting.

shmmeee

The thing is, players can't come in for 10 minutes after not playing for months and be expected to be on top form.

It’s starting to look like he had a bit of a purple patch and that’s it. He was pretty crap when he first came in, had some decent games, then was pretty crap again.

NorthernWisdom

He hasn't looked at all on it for ages - and also looks the wrong type of wingback for our play. Even Bidwell motors up and down the flank fairly consistently, even if he's not a particular ball carrier as such. Kane's always looked a little static, not that great at defending. Does have a good cross on him, but that seems to have vanished somewhat too. Plus, of course, both Eccles and Burroughs are that little bit older, wiser, more developed, so are better than when Kane joined us, anyway.

Is better than DaCosta mind you!

shmmeee

Honesty I’d give it to Burroughs and Eccles until or unless we can get a new player in.

shmmeee

Eccles has looked relatively solid. Burroughs has looked good in his cameos. Made some basic errors too, but plenty of potential there I'd think, and he won't get better unless he plays, anyway. Looks well suited to our style of play, too.

I like both, Eccles can pick a pass really well and really should be a CM ultimately. Burroughs has all the things I want in a wingback but looks raw defensively. But as you say that’ll only improve with game time and it’s a good position to make mistakes in TBH.

Grendel

I think it’s been clear for some time there’s been issues with him and the manager

The odd time he does play he seems to act virtually as a right winger and not looking on it much.

The bigger Issue I suspect is waghorn - mystery why he hasn’t been involved more

wingy

I think it’s been clear for some time there’s been issues with him and the manager

The odd time he does play he seems to act virtually as a right winger and not looking on it much.

The bigger Issue I suspect is waghorn - mystery why he hasn’t been involved more
You could possibly say the same for Palmer unless he's not fit?

Grendel

You could possibly say the same for Palmer unless he's not fit?

I think palmer just struggles to play 90 minutes. It’s been an issue through his career - he obviously is a good player so there’s some reason what ar his age he’s played so little

Hertsccfc

I think palmer just struggles to play 90 minutes. It’s been an issue through his career - he obviously is a good player so there’s some reason what ar his age he’s played so little
Yes Palmer would be one of our best players if he could stay fit. It seems he can't pace himself through games so runs out of steam. His skill level and effort when he plays is really high but as you say his lack of game time throughout his career is concerning. I am not sure I understand what the problem is.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

He had one interview on CWR after he'd put in a top performance where he admitted the training here was hard, and he was behind the curve.

Possibly what happens in many professions, he has the skill so didn't have to try as hard as a youngster, but that means when he gets to men's football those habits aren't as easy to break, but he can't just rely on skill alone.

In the 1980s, he'd have been a superstar!

Hertsccfc

Does anyone know how long Eccles is out for? I really think he would be an established Championship player but for all these injuries.

Hertsccfc

He had one interview on CWR after he'd put in a top performance where he admitted the training here was hard, and he was behind the curve.

Possibly what happens in many professions, he has the skill so didn't have to try as hard as a youngster, but that means when he gets to men's football those habits aren't as easy to break, but he can't just rely on skill alone.

In the 1980s, he'd have been a superstar!
In matches there is no lack of effort. In fact he seems to be trying as hard as anyone but he can'tmaintainit. It seems to be a stamina issue. Is that something that you gain from training harder? I think the answer may be yes to an extent but some people like Allen and O'Hare that stamina comes much more naturally.

SBT

I assumed Waghorn was still getting over his injury from last month. I imagine we’ll see him at some point tonight.

wingy

Does anyone know how long Eccles is out for? I really think he would be an established Championship player but for all these injuries.
That's why I was a bit surprised Calum came off Saturday.
Saving him a bit for tonight?
Obviously been out for for a lengthy spell but just had a month of restorative time.

PVA

I don't think there's any other explanation other than he's just not very good. And a bit of a prat.

I was not pleased with the signing right from the start and thought it was a rare error of judgment from MR.

Users who are viewing this thread