Today ....any publicity is good (1 Viewer)

ccfcdr

ITV
Toggle navigation

Exclusions_Transparent1x1Pixel.gif

Main page content
Central
  1. ITV REPORT
  2. 22 October 2016 at 11:43am
Coventry City fans to protest ahead of Rochdale clash
stream_img.jpg

Coventry City fans will protest for the owners SISU to put the club up for sale today ahead of their match against Rochdale.Photo: PA
Coventry City fans will protest for the owners SISU to put the club up for sale today ahead of their match against Rochdale. The "Fighting the Jimmy Hill Way " alliance has called upon all Coventry City fans to join them in a planned day of action to demonstrate the strength of feeling that the time has come for club owners sell up.

In a statement the alliance said:

"At 2pm we will be marching from Holbrook Park on Holbrook Lane via Hen Lane to the Ricoh Arena where we will assemble at the Jimmy Hill statue to make ourselves heard in a vocal but law abiding manner. At 3pm as the match versus Rochdale kicks off we intend remaining in place at the statue as we make the incredibly difficult decision to "boycott" the match. This decision has not been taken lightly but we feel the owners need to get a taste of what life will be like should they choose not to sell. That is to say ever increasing numbers of supporters staying away from games having had enough of SISU and its disastrous tenure."

"We would urge supporters to attend both elements of our day of action but acknowledge that some will find it hard to stay away from the game and no hard feelings will be held towards those who actually go in. We hope however that there will be a good turn out for both the March and the gathering at Jimmy Hills statue as we once again urge SISU to do the right thing and sell up."

– ALLIANCE STATEMENT.
stream_img.jpg

Credit: Sky Blue Trust
One City fan based in the USA has spent more than $1,000 and travelled almost 5,000 miles - to NOT watch his team play today. Stewart Craner, 50, has flown from Portland, Oregon, to take part in a planned supporter-led boycott of the Coventry City v Rochdale League One clash. Despite not having seen his beloved Sky Blues play for more than a year, the lifelong CCFC fan said he felt he had to miss the match to take part in the planned march and protest for the good of the club. The accounts manager, who has worked for an office supply firm in the USA for the past six years, said:

"I feel very strongly about the situation. I have watched the club I love go from something to nothing. When I found out about the protest it was a double edged sword for me because I'm going to miss a game but I thought it was more important to help highlight the situation at the club. The decision to stay away was made all the harder for Stewart by the fact the last time he saw the Sky Blues play at 'home' was at Sixfields during the 2013/14 season."

– STEWART CRANER
Mr Craner, who was born in Willenhall, said the return 4,872-mile journey has cost him in excess of $1,000 - but insists it is worth every penny. He said it's just one of those things and he didn't even think about the money.

"I think the club has not been run in a football way. A club should be run by football people from top to bottom, by people who eat, sleep and drink football. But at the moment they are run by a hedge fund which has different business aims. All of our assets are gone. The stadium is gone. They could have bought it but they didn't. If they had any intention to make our club great they could have done a deal a long time ago." Sisu need to do the decent thing and sell up. I hope as adults they make a sensible decision and say they will make way for new owners. If they want to see the club prosper they will do the decent thing and walk away."

– MR CRANER.
stream_img.jpg

One City fan based in the USA has spent more than $1,000 and travelled almost 5,000 miles - to NOT watch his team play today. Credit: PA
Today's protest is being organised by The Jimmy Hill Way, an alliance of supporters groups who have joined together to call on owners Sisu to put Coventry City up for sale.

A Coventry City spokesperson said:

"Coventry City FC would like to reiterate that we respect the fan’s right to express their opinion. As a football club, we also recognise that the fans are well within their right to articulate that opinion in the form of protest, if they so wish to do so. We ask that fans participating in any from of demonstration, on a matchday or otherwise, do so safely and peacefully. The club would also like to encourage fans to support the team on the pitch and keep in mind that the players need all the backing they can get from the stands.

– A COVENTRY CITY SPOKESPERSON.
Last updated Sat 22 Oct 2016

Suspected robber dies after incident in Wolverhampton

Attachments

• ITV Toggle.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread