Timewasting (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Brought this up on another thread but thought maybe it's worth more discussion. Last weeks ref didn't have the balls to give a second yellow to follow up on the "drying the ball" card. Their player was just taking the piss by continuing to dry the ball and then advancing 10 or more yards (Didn't go back and check). Ironically we were sent back a few minutes later for stealing just a couple of yards.

It would solve a lot of the timewasting if the rules were changed to give the ref the power to turn a throw over to the other team for any reason he deems sufficient (Timewasting, stealing yards etc) If this was succesful it could be followed with the same powers for goal kicks late in the game. (Cancel the goal kick and award a corner) This would solve a lot of problems.

Thoughts?

letsallsingtogether

Brought this up on another thread but thought maybe it's worth more discussion. Last weeks ref didn't have the balls to give a second yellow to follow up on the "drying the ball" card. Their player was just taking the piss by continuing to dry the ball and then advancing 10 or more yards (Didn't go back and check). Ironically we were sent back a few minutes later for stealing just a couple of yards.

It would solve a lot of the timewasting if the rules were changed to give the ref the power to turn a throw over to the other team for any reason he deems sufficient (Timewasting, stealing yards etc) If this was succesful it could be followed with the same powers for goal kicks late in the game. (Cancel the goal kick and award a corner) This would solve a lot of problems.

Thoughts?
Fuck me we would give away too many corners Wilson is a champion in the dark arts of timewasting.

wantageskyblue

Fuck me we would give away too many corners Wilson is a champion in the dark arts of timewasting.
I think I need to watch him more closely then in the next few matches. To me he always seems to be getting rid of the ball ASAP even if that means putting the defenders immediately under pressure because the opposition have players close to them, or aimless punts upfield or out of play. I want him to hang onto the ball longer especially when we are winning. I think he is a liability, particularly with the ball at his feet, and needs replacing in the summer as a priority

letsallsingtogether

I think I need to watch him more closely then in the next few matches. To me he always seems to be getting rid of the ball ASAP even if that means putting the defenders immediately under pressure because the opposition have players close to them, or aimless punts upfield or out of play. I want him to hang onto the ball longer especially when we are winning. I think he is a liability, particularly with the ball at his feet, and needs replacing in the summer as a priority
when we are winning he always goes to the opposite side for goal kicks and always falls to the ground holding the ball the few times he catches it.

Sky Blue Pete

Sometimes genuinely it’s not clear where the ball goes out but when it is I think refs have the power to ensure the throw in is taken from the correct place unfortunately sometimes they just can’t be bothered. It’s called managing the game, if it’s taken from the wrong place it is retaken if someone deliberately ignores the instruction they should be cautioned

It’s an interesting idea if after being told someone doesn’t listen to then overturn the decision.

Esoterica

You get 4 seconds to restart play in futsal, once the player is in position, counted by the ref with his fingers in the air.

Sky Blue Pete

You get 4 seconds to restart play in futsal, once the player is in position, counted by the ref with his fingers in the air.
I heard an explanation from somewhere that up to 30 secs was reasonable for a goal kick and 15 for throw ins. There should be some effort put in to solve this issue. I remember when reffing pushing the 6 second rule and it being broadly accepted. Also my lad is immediately on any time wasting in his games and the players accept it the parents however not so much lol. A minute in the keeper was taking his time and he blew his whistle and motioned his arm to get on with it. Hilarious and loved it

Terry Gibson's perm

Part of the problem there’s no real punishment for the crime a yellow card in the 85 minute doesn’t bother any keeper, any longer than six seconds free kick in the box. The nearest player to the ball takes the throw no some lumbering oaf wandering over from centre back to hurl it thirty yards into the box.

shmmeee

The only sure fire way really is the half hour times halves, but it’s far too American to be accepted in the sport generally I reckon. Like a bunch of things refs need to be quicker with yellow cards. I mean Wilson does it loads and has only had four yellows all season. He should be closer to ten if it was policed properly.

Bertola

Part of the problem there’s no real punishment for the crime a yellow card in the 85 minute doesn’t bother any keeper, any longer than six seconds free kick in the box. The nearest player to the ball takes the throw no some lumbering oaf wandering over from centre back to hurl it thirty yards into the box.

Yep, you could even argue that if a goalie is being booked at a goal kick it wastes even more time for the ref to run back from the half way line, book him, then get back into position that if he'd have just waited for the kick to be taken.

Agree with Shmmeee's point too, start the bookings earlier on in the game (there's been games up here where teams have started timewasting in the first half, yet refs never book anyone for it until the last 5/10 mins

Mcbean

I thought he did yellow the player at the end ? But it was all too late for us - what about if they awarded proper added on time - could be calculated over the game by var 🤣and could be 10. -15 mins like the first game of the World Cup

Terry Gibson's perm

They need to cut all this sitting down on the pitch waiting for a sub to get ready, stop all this hi fives for all as you leave the pitch and no need to shake the refs hand set time to get off or the player entering the field gets booked.

Any player (always the team leading) that gets cramp needs to go off for a few minutes for recovery

Sky Blue Pete

When the goalie has it in their hands, there should be a countdown over the tannoy starting at 6 down to 1. Every time.
That was strange wasn’t it that the fa tried that decided it was better left to the discretion of the match official and watched huge inconsistencies at all levels of the game

shmmeee

When the goalie has it in their hands, there should be a countdown over the tannoy starting at 6 down to 1. Every time.

Silly question, but that starts the second the goalie has it right? So lying on the ground for ten seconds it should technically be an indirect free kick from where he was?

Bad Boy

I've said it before, introduce the clock. It stops everytime the ball is not in play. I couldn't give a shit if they're out there all frickin afternoon/night I want to see 90 minutes of football and if all the fans have gone home because they've had enough or they need to get off or be somewhere else then so be it. 90 frickin full minutes, that's what I've paid for and that's what I want.

shmmeee

So reading up on the six second rule it seems lying on the ball is a loophole. The count doesn’t start until a goalkeeper is able to release the ball which he’s not while lying on the ground.

Julie SBA

The only sure fire way really is the half hour times halves, but it’s far too American to be accepted in the sport generally I reckon. Like a bunch of things refs need to be quicker with yellow cards. I mean Wilson does it loads and has only had four yellows all season. He should be closer to ten if it was policed properly.
It works well in rugby, the ref stops the clock each time there is a delay. I suppose it will still be subject to inconsistency though. One ref stops the clock and another doesn't. Else maybe its a stadium clock that only ticks when the ball is in play, but how would it work as you go down the football pyramid into grass roots.

Something needs to be done as its the most frustrating thing to watch when its being done to you, everyone can see it happening.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It’s all stuff they’ve clamped down on in the past too, same as the 6 second keeper rule, and then just let slide again over time
Largely because someone will get sent off for something silly and there will be media outrage about how we're ruining the game and getting people sent off for no reason. We are our own worst enemy. We are not consistent. You will hear the same people say 'They just need to let the game flow' when the ref picks up niggly fouls, and when they don't 'they are letting them kick the shit out of us and getting away with it'. What needs to happen is referees create rules/laws and stick by them to the letter of the law, no one can moan when their own player gets two yellows for twice taking 10 seconds to take a goal kick and Sky/BT/BBC commit to not spending 90% of their analysis/coverage going over benign decisions that automatically make the referee the talking point.

SAJ

Not only does he take it to the other side of the six yard box he generally adjusts his shin pads and touches the ground twice behind the ball with his fingertips. I can’t believe he had got away with it so much. Saying that I don’t think he’s guilty of doing it from the beginning of the match like the Huddersfield keeper was a couple of weeks ago.

Johhny Blue

That’s kind of my point. An 85th minute corner is arguably a bigger consequence than a yellow card.

SAJ

I used to argue against this but over the last 5 or so years I’m starting to think this is the best way forward. It was reported that in a Southend match a few week back the ball was in play 32 minutes of the 90.

Nuskyblue

Don't stop play for substitutions. Sub is allowed on when the player he's replacing leaves the field. Policed by the fourth official. Should stop the sauntering to the touch line, applauding the crowd, shaking hands with team mates and the 90+5 minute substitution. Nightmare for Clive though.
Same for injurys. No stop in play, pyhsios come one to deal with the fanny on the floor

Users who are viewing this thread