Times article on Keith Houchen (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Also remember the emergence of Steve Sedgley and David Smith (who was very good at that time)

Smith was interesting. The longer he played for us the more ineffective he was. Not sure if that was due to over-coaching or being the team's only real attacking outlet and being marked out of games. Similar situation to Richie Partridge - and in Richie's case I definitely blamed Mcallister for his over reliance on Richie (and not changing tactics).

Sedgley. Never really got the hype. Similar in some ways to Bigi in my view. Over hyped. But to be fair to Sedgley he had a fantastic career at the top level - so shows what little I know!

Grendel

Grendel

You know him do you....
He speaks very highly of you though.

He’s the obnoxious twat who fronted the supporters group which was so pro sisu it was embarrassing

JimmyHillsbeard

Just imagining if those signings had happened.....;.

Our team the season after the FA cup win could have looked something like the following (playing 3-5-2 Italia 90 style):

Ogrizovic

Borrows Kilcline Peake

Phillips Dawes

Gynn Crook Wise

Bennett Regis

That's a top 4 team in 88/89.

never heard the Dawes story, what’s the providence of that?

McGrath over Gynn every day of the week I’m afraid.

Legia Sky Blue

McGrath over Gynn every day of the week I’m afraid.[/QUOTE

It wasn't long before Dawes left QPR for Millwall and at the time was reported in the nationals and the Telegraph - pre internet so no means of providing a link now, although I'm sure I remember it also being subject to an article in one of our fanzines at the time. I think I recall it so well as I was desperate for us to replace Downs, who I saw as our only weak link. I guess only the likes of Sillett and Dawes could answer whether it was ever close to actually happening.

Of course before this we hadn't long let Stuart Pearce leave. I read Pearce's autobiography and he wrote that he was perfectly happy at Cov and would have signed a new contract if we had offered him one. We were in no rush, obviously thinking that with Pearce coming from non league we held all the aces in negotiations and waited until the season was over, by which time Clough had tapped him up, and the rest is history. That one change to our team in that period of Pearce for Downs would have made us unbelievably stronger.

DannyThomas_1981

Could not agree more Legia. It was mismanagement at it's very best in not securing Pearce on a long term contract.
From his very first appearances it was obvious that he was a very strong and dynamic player - destined for a very good career.
We've had exceptional right backs in the time that I've watched the City (Danny Thomas/Borrows/Nilsson to name 3) but elite left backs are very difficult to find. Pearce is my left back in my all time City team even though he was only with us for a short time.

DannyThomas_1981

A Tenner and a Box Of Kippers the story of Keith Houchen. A great read about Keith Houchen. A great character and a must-read for all Sky Blues supporters.

I've got mixed feelings on the book. Enjoyed the early years and the glory years with CCFC. Then the book descended into a series of rants and raves at officials as Houch seriously struggled with managing in the lower leagues. Kind of depressing.
It seems to be fair that Houch is a very decent bloke in all of his interactions with the City fans and his contribution here will obviously never be forgotten.

DannyThomas_1981

McGrath over Gynn every day of the week I’m afraid.

More than understand that JHB. Very different players. I see there's a real argument for playing McGrath as the defensive midfielder in a midfield 3. He'd do brilliantly. But in my dream 1988-89 team above (which could have happened if we had played the transfer market differently); I just like the attacking dimension of Gynny breaking from midfield with his pace. He's a player who would be a perfect 3 in a modern midfield 3 and a nightmare to defend against. I'm just a football romantic favouring ball players over the more destructive qualities of McGrath - and that is exactly why I would make a terrible manager!

Grendel

More than understand that JHB. Very different players. I see there's a real argument for playing McGrath as the defensive midfielder in a midfield 3. He'd do brilliantly. But in my dream 1988-89 team above (which could have happened if we had played the transfer market differently); I just like the attacking dimension of Gynny breaking from midfield with his pace. He's a player who would be a perfect 3 in a modern midfield 3 and a nightmare to defend against. I'm just a football romantic favouring ball players over the more destructive qualities of McGrath - and that is exactly why I would make a terrible manager!

If Emerson has been fit I think McGrath would have been phased out

DannyThomas_1981

If Emerson has been fit I think McGrath would have been phased out

I agree. Emerson was a really significant loss in our history. A fantastic all round midfielder who would have gone onto great things.
McGrath was a very effective defensive player in his era though - and played very high class midfielders out of the game. But certainly agree that Lloydy's game was more limited that Emerson's.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Could not agree more Legia. It was mismanagement at it's very best in not securing Pearce on a long term contract.
From his very first appearances it was obvious that he was a very strong and dynamic player - destined for a very good career.
We've had exceptional right backs in the time that I've watched the City (Danny Thomas/Borrows/Nilsson to name 3) but elite left backs are very difficult to find. Pearce is my left back in my all time City team even though he was only with us for a short time.
I can't believe you've left out the best left-back ever to pull on a City shirt! Bobby "God" McDonald! Very few got past Bobby when they attacked our goal! He was superb! Him and Tommy Hutchison will always go down as my favourite players of all time.

DannyThomas_1981

I can't believe you've left out the best left-back ever to pull on a City shirt! Bobby "God" McDonald! Very few got past Bobby when they attacked our goal! He was superb! Him and Tommy Hutchison will always go down as my favourite players of all time.

Houchen's Head - I stand corrected! I was too young to watch Bobby McDonald play and also Tommy H! As you say I've only heard good things about Bobby - a Sky Blue legend.

Irish Sky Blue

Bobby Mcdonald is my favourite left back too. I remember him bending the ball into the goal from almost on the goal line to beat Kevin Keelan in the famous 5-4 win over Norwich. A great player in a great team.

Users who are viewing this thread