Time to deliver, Andy (2 Viewers)

cheever

Now that AT is getting his BANG, BANG, BANG signings, and post-ers are expressing optimism, and considering the quality of who we are signing (coupled with the fact that we are playing at a lower level this season), the time for AT's excuses has come to an end.

In this piss-poor league, he has to lead the team to a top 6 finish at THE VERY LEAST...anything else is a failure.

We have to be challenging for the play-offs....from the off.

The excuse of the standard of other teams, does not wash at this level....do we really expect to be bumming around with Crewe, Yoevil, Warsaw, Tranmere, Colchester...you get my drift....

Time to go to work and deliver AT and the lads......:thinking about:

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe try this again when we know what our squad will look like? Or God forbid after the season actually starts? No, just couldn't wait, could it? :claping hands:

cheever

Of course, we will judge as the season progresses NLHWC, every fan has the right to do that.

The point of the thread is that AT could be excused for some/most of the failures of last season (depending on your view)...however, he hasn't shouldered any of the blame...fair enough, let's move on....

Now let's look at the present....and where we are....this time, he has no excuses IMO.....he has to be getting us in the top 6....that is NOT too much to ask of him and the players.

Last edited:

@richh87

We've barely got enough to field a team and people are demanding results - crazy!

Grendel

No expectancy levels will be much higher and rightly so. Also the club is acting like a proper football club at the minute so there is no immunity there.

We have to bounce back quick. Let's see if we are in the top 6 by November.

cheever

We've barely got enough to field a team and people are demanding results - crazy!

Not demanding results, just trying to ascertain what defines 'optimism'...isn't that one of the main words being banded about in recent days?

I am also optimistic after the signings made this week...and I'll define that...see my original post...but now it is over to the MANAGEMENT to mould this squad into a unit, and deliver.

After last year's fiasco(s), I, for one, shall be expecting more from the players and management this season...with the excuse 'I haven't been supported' not applicable based on the events of the last 72 hours.....

what do you expect???

ccfcdan

With Cov I always expect the worse. A lot of the teams in this league will see us a a bag scalp and therefore up there games when they play us. I'm expecting Yeovil to be knocking the ball around like Barcelona 2bh.

@richh87

Not demanding results, just trying to ascertain what defines 'optimism'...isn't that one of the main words being banded about in recent days?

I am also optimistic after the signings made this week...and I'll define that...see my original post...but now it is over to the MANAGEMENT to mould this squad into a unit, and deliver.

After last year's fiasco(s), I, for one, shall be expecting more from the players and management this season...with the excuse 'I haven't been supported' not applicable based on the events of the last 72 hours.....

what do you expect???

I expect SISU to continue to only allow free transfers - and probably not enough to form this 'squad' you speak of.

I fail to see how the poor team from last season, minus it's central defence and central midfield, is now suddenly good enough to challenege.

stupot07

Geez - we lose 7 players and bring in 3 and everyone's getting a bit over excited. Still not enough strength in depth. Can we lose the optimism and demands until closer to the start of the season when we know what the final squad looks like.

We've brought in a striker who's scored about 4 goals in 2 years, a player who was highly rated at 16 but has yet proved nothing, and kilbane. Kilbane's a good signing but the other two are unknown quantities - nothing to get optimistic or pessimistic about.

cheever

Geez - we lose 7 players and bring in 3 and everyone's getting a bit over excited. Still not enough strength in depth. Can we lose the optimism and demands until closer to the start of the season when we know what the final squad looks like.

We've brought in a striker who's scored about 4 goals in 2 years, a player who was highly rated at 16 but has yet proved nothing, and kilbane. Kilbane's a good signing but the other two are unknown quantities - nothing to get optimistic or pessimistic about.

So the optimism is tempered then???

cheever

I expect SISU to continue to only allow free transfers - and probably not enough to form this 'squad' you speak of.

I fail to see how the poor team from last season, minus it's central defence and central midfield, is now suddenly good enough to challenege.

Not even in the depths of this level of English football....rubbing shoulders with the might of Shrewsbury and Crewe???

Grendel

Peterborough and Scunthorpe bounced back. Did they hugely increase their squads?

kg82

Seriously, why do some people fixate on one aspect of a club as if it's THAT black and white? This club has a LOT of problems but we're having a good few days, just seems pointless to start some thread stating an obvious point such as "Thorn must try his best"!!

cheever

Seriously, why do some people fixate on one aspect of a club as if it's THAT black and white? This club has a LOT of problems but we're having a good few days, just seems pointless to start some thread stating an obvious point such as "Thorn must try his best"!!

Agreed, let's settle for mediocrity and excuses to hide behind...and not strive for the highest standards to achieve success.

No wonder we have been in the doldrums for so long as the attitude that you propose (let's not demand that the management and players DO THEIR BEST) gives those in charge of our club (playing, management and leadership) the excuses they can hide behind.

cheever

Read it again, son.

Not 'Thorn must try his best'......'THORN MUST DELIVER'....there is a difference there that you need to spot....:facepalm:

kg82

Read it again, son.

Not 'Thorn must try his best'......'THORN MUST DELIVER'....there is a difference there that you need to spot....:facepalm:

Read mine again, son. I said why fixate on ONE aspect. You reply as if you're a martyr to the salvation of our club when all you're doing is complaining about Thorn on an internet forum. I applaud you're high and mighty attitude but it's time to get off your high horse and join the minions down here - who, by the way, aren't happy with mediocrity either.

cheever

Read mine again, son. I said why fixate on ONE aspect. You reply as if you're a martyr to the salvation of our club when all you're doing is complaining about Thorn on an internet forum. I applaud you're high and mighty attitude but it's time to get off your high horse and join the minions down here - who, by the way, aren't happy with mediocrity either.

Matryr? What you on about?

Can I not expect the highest standards from our management team and players?

Who doesn't attach some blame to SISU, but does that mean that everyone else is immune from any scrutiny, or objective setting?

To not expect results from those responsible for performance on the pitch (in now the lowest standard for nearly half a century), seems a very naive and immature attitude.....it seems that you wish to ignore ONE fundamentally significant aspect as to why we are AT THE LOWEST LEVEL FOR NEARLY HALF A CENTURY.

get with it, Mr Minion....:wave:

kg82

Matryr? What you on about?

Can I not expect the highest standards from our management team and players?

Who doesn't attach some blame to SISU, but does that mean that everyone else is immune from any scrutiny, or objective setting?

To not expect results from those responsible for performance on the pitch (in now the lowest standard for nearly half a century), seems a very naive and immature attitude.....it seems that you wish to ignore ONE fundamentally significant aspect as to why we are AT THE LOWEST LEVEL FOR NEARLY HALF A CENTURY.

get with it, Mr Minion....:wave:

Have I said ignore it anywhere? And where has it been ignored in the last 12 months? Thorn this, Thorn that, Thorn shit in a bag, lit fire to it and put it on my doorstep.... I'm saying concentrate on all aspects, not just the one you continuously come up with and make threads about that state the obvious.

I agree, Kg82, there are other issues...but we have a new backroom staff (no Harrison anymore) so surely we should expect more? I think Cheever should wait to see what pans out over the WHOLE of the pre-season, as should a lot of post-ers.

You cannot ignore AT's shortcomings anymore than you can SISU's....

Sick Boy

Thorn could relegate us this season and his cheerleaders would still be trotting out the same excuses.

stupot07

Peterborough and Scunthorpe bounced back. Did they hugely increase their squads?

Brilliant.

Peterborough made 20 signings in the promotion year to help them bounce back 11 permanent signings and 9 loans.

Perms
Paul Taylor
David Ball
Steve Collis
Lee Tomlinson
Arron Davies
Nana Ofori-Twumasi
James Wesolowski
Mark little
Grant McCann
David Hibbert
Grant Basi

Loans
Paul Jones
Tom Kennedy
Jonathan Obika
Kieran Agard
Marcus Williams
Adam Clayton
Lewis Nyatanga
Matthew Gill
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

Add to that they also had a proven league one 20 goal a season striker on CMS.

Scunthorpe got relegated in 2009/10 and finished 17th last season in League One - they signed 11 perms and 11 loans last season.

kg82

Exactly. It's been a few good days too for us, yet people are desperate to still point out ALL those negatives. I haven't forgotten them, I don't think anyone has, but a couple of days of relishing in a few "bang, bang, bang's" would be nice - I mean, it won't need supporters to bring back down to earth with a bump will it, with these lot in charge (and it won't take long either).

1nilandwe...

Stop Press: Football manager expected to produce decent results otherwise fans will not be as happy as they would like to be!

Also Coming In: Football fans expect a reasonably successful upcoming season otherwise the manager will have some tough questions to answer!

Thorn could relegate us this season and his cheerleaders would still be trotting out the same excuses.

I think there were obvious mitigating circumstances last season...but these are surely largely nullified by the lower standard we find ourselves in.

However, I think we should also see who else comes in....with the number of games to be played, quantity as well as quality is going to be important.

Grendel

Brilliant.

Peterborough made 20 signings in the promotion year to help them bounce back 11 permanent signings and 9 loans.

Perms
Paul Taylor
David Ball
Steve Collis
Lee Tomlinson
Arron Davies
Nana Ofori-Twumasi
James Wesolowski
Mark little
Grant McCann
David Hibbert
Grant Basi

Loans
Paul Jones
Tom Kennedy
Jonathan Obika
Kieran Agard
Marcus Williams
Adam Clayton
Lewis Nyatanga
Matthew Gill
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

Add to that they also had a proven league one 20 goal a season striker on CMS.

Sc-unithorpe got relegated in 2009/10 and finished 17th last season in League One - they signed 11 perms and 11 loans last season.

Well if they got in 20 they must also have got rid of a lot as according to Wiki ther have as smaller squad as ours (or did at the end of the season) I thought Scunthorpe did achieve a bounce back one season?

Also factor in we are likely according to thorn to have THE top goalscorer next season.

If we sign another goalscorer and a midfielder plus a young loan we should be top 6.

Grendel

Yep we could sign messi and ronaldo and they would say we may survive but if we do it's well done AT.

You have to hand it to thorn he is the only manager who some fans value more than the club they support.

Sick Boy

Yep we could sign messi and ronaldo and they would say we may survive but if we do it's well done AT.

You have to hand it to thorn he is the only manager who some fans value more than the club they support.

I fully agree, he has become bigger than the club in some supporter's eyes, it is bizarre. Seriously, I do not understand it and it makes me worry for the future.

Grendel

I fully agree, he has become bigger than the club in some supporter's eyes, it is bizarre. Seriously, I do not understand it and it makes me worry for the future.

I'm just looking forward to seeing the top goalscorer in the division.

stupot07

I'm just looking forward to seeing the top goalscorer in the division.

I can just imagine us getting promoted and Cody getting 20+ goals but finishing second in the goal scoring chart and you will be saying AT's crap because he said Cody was going to be top scorer.

Grendel

I can just imagine us getting promoted and Cody getting 20+ goals but finishing second in the goal scoring chart and you will be saying AT's crap because he said Cody was going to be top scorer.

Actually no if we get promoted then there can be no argument. The more likely scenario will be if we are in the bottom half at Christmas people will still say remember the honeymoon period (you know when his win ratio was only slightly worse than Boothroyds) and that he would be a world beater without nasty old sisu.

Ultimately now fans will judge and for the majority whatever the logic whatever tha stats and whatever the view on the manager results really now will matter.

Sick Boy

Actually no if we get promoted then there can be no argument. The more likely scenario will be if we are in the bottom half at Christmas people will still say remember the honeymoon period (you know when his win ratio was only slightly worse than Boothroyds) and that he would be a world beater without nasty old sisu.

Ultimately now fans will judge and for the majority whatever the logic whatever tha stats and whatever the view on the manager results really now will matter.

How many games did he win in his honeymoon period?

We could be facing relegation from the Conference and it would still get mentioned as something of mythical proportions.

stupot07

I agree results do matter now, we are one of the big boys, which comes with its own pitfalls. Every team is going to be up for it when we play them. I still don't think we have the right characters/experience to deal with that yet. I'm reserving judgement until I know what the said is.

Users who are viewing this thread