Time to bring Bigi back into the side? (1 Viewer)

Sterling Archer

First of all this is isn't hype or a reaction to him winning his recent award, I just genuinley feel he is technically one of our more gifted midfielders in a sea of mediocre midfield players. I don't understand why he isn't even getting on the bench. I am a season ticket holder and go to most away games as well, so I am not someone just buying the hype from afar. Lets have a look at the other midfielders:

- Gary Deegan - The new Michael Doyle, runs around and puts a decent shift in, gets stuck in BUT this whole 'pitbull' idea seems to mask his negative aspects. For a midfielder, his passing is attrocious (the Palace game on Tuesday was one of the worst displays of passing I have ever seen from a City midfielder) and his "run around like a maniac" routine often leaves him out of position and leaves gaping holes for the opposition to exploit (ooo-errr).
- Carl Baker - Was starting to hit a bit of form but is now injured.
- Sammy Clingan - We know what he can do and I still think he can find some form but there is no denying that by the high standards he has set in previous years that he is not performing to the true level of his capabilities.
- Olly Norwood - Seems to get better with each game at the moment, needs to ease on some of the Hollywood balls but overrall I think he is worthy of a place in the side.
- Gary McSheffrey - Has to stay in the team because regardless of form or if he hasn't done anything all game, he always has that ability for that little spark that gets us a goal. I actually think he has been playing quite well in the last couple of months.
- David Bell - I am not a fan of Bell. Slow, can't beat a player and his delivery is shocking, the amount of times he floats it straight to the keeper is alarming. However, every now and again he can produce a bit of skill which creates something. I don't mind seeing him come on for the last 10-15 mins but he simply isn't good enough and has never proved himself to be good enough to start.
- Connor Thomas - I like Connor but on Saturday he came on and looked like he had never played football before! He is in a similar bracket to Gael in terms of their situations surrounding this season and breaking through but I have unfortunately seen him have more bad games than good.

So looking at the above surely there is room for Gael to return fter his break from the first team (which hopefully has rejuvenated him and got his confidence back). He would offer us something slightly different to the rest and maybe he could have a role a little further forward to try and use the flair and creativity we keep hearing about and have seen in glimpses?

Thoughts?

Otis

been wondering that myself. The lad is good with both feet, quick and obviosuly has talent.

Bit rought round the edges of course, but we are now in all hands to the pumps territory and also it is time to gamble a little, especially away from home. I'd have him on the bench at least.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I'd certainly give him a spot on the bench. Thomas did look a little rough on Saturday but overall I think he's developed into a first team standard player much quicker than Bigi - very composed and can do the basics well, which we need. I'd like to see Bigi on later in the game if we need a spark of energy from midfield though.

It's all about confidence with bigi, I watched the goals for the under 18s and the kid was on a different planet his eye for a pass is unbelievable. I know its completely different at first team level but really think this kid will be a star

Si80

No. Thomas is the better player and I'd rather have him coming on or starting than Bigi.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Thomas will get better and has been out for sometime. He wasnt going to come on and set the world alight in a position (wide right) that i do not think he is best suited for. Yes he looked rusty but he still managed a few good things too. Dropping Gael straight back in I worry he will start rusty too, neither of them have had that many games in the Championship, it is a tough ask to think he will pick up the slack of others.

Baker - on very recent form we will miss
McSheffery - not his biggest fan but see no reason to drop him based on recent form just wish he would attack the spaces and take a pass on the run
Norwood - you can see he has been well schooled, yes he does play some Hollywood balls, but when they come off it opens up our play. He is a starter
Clingan - disappointed by his performances this season, mind not quite on the job I think, seems to stifle Norwood
Deagan - pitbull ? more like pit poodle. Really dont see what he brings to the team other than he might be a tough tackler, but no real evidence of it. Doesnt pass well, inconsistent, loses position, ambles about......
Bell - there have been brief moments of what he could bring but not often enough.

Not really spoiled for choice are we. Think Gael should be on the bench - the recent awards etc must have increased his confidence. Could go 4:3:3 playing Clingan, Norwood & Thomas with McSheffery, Nimely & Platt up front....... what have we to lose draws and losses wont help lets go for it

KersleyDigs

With Gael's confidence sky high and his creativity i'd put him straight in:

--------------Murphy
Clarke, Keogh, Cameron, Cranie
--Norwood, Clingan, Thomas
-----------Bigirimana
-------Nimely, McSheffrey

KersleyDigs

I think with Gael looking to play through balls behind the defence and Sheff (and Nimely a bit more) playing off the shoulder, could be just what we need.

J

Jack Griffin

No. Thomas is the better player and I'd rather have him coming on or starting than Bigi.

Agree, I don't really understand why he has not been starting, but given the injury to Baker, it will be between him & Deegan who starts on the right side, Bell if he is around will probably start on the bench. I imagine Sammy will start too, but that probably wouldn't be my choice, I just think it will be Thorn's choice.

My choice would be Deegan Thomas Norwood McSheffry. With Bell & Clingan on the bench (assuming they are fit)

Last edited by a moderator:

kingharvest

Personally i'd rather start with Bigi and use Deegan off the bench. I don't really rate deegan as a starter - his distribution and positioning is no where near good enough for that. BUT, he does speed up the pace of the game when coming off the bench, and when the game is stretched and you don't need him to hold his position so much, he has much more of an impact.

Bigi will be a a serious part of this team in the future - him and thomas, if we can hang on to them, will hopefully form the backbone of our midfield over the next few years (providing they continue to develop and grow as players at the rate they have been).

I think if it weren't so feckin important right now that we are not making mistakes and giving away soft goals - they'd both be in the team more often. But its backs against the wall, and you have to look to experience in key positions in this situation for a number of reasons - and i think one of them is that no young player needs the burden of knowing he gave the ball away which they scored from which sent us down. I admire Thorn for protecting the youngsters as much as he's tried to. Its one of the reasons i think he's done a remarkable job to keep us in with a shout under the circumstances.

KersleyDigs

Would love to see this team in League One (if/when we go down)

Mostly home grown players....

-------------Murphy
Clarke, Willis, Cameron, Hussey
Christie, Thomas, Bigi, McSheffrey
----Clarke-Harris, O'Donovan

stupot07

Would love to see this team in League One (if/when we go down)

Mostly home grown players....

-------------Murphy
Clarke, Willis, Cameron, Hussey
Christie, Thomas, Bigi, McSheffrey
----Clarke-Harris, O'Donovan

I've got a feeling that would also be team in league 2 the following season.

@richh87

been wondering that myself. The lad is good with both feet, quick and obviosuly has talent.

Bit rought round the edges of course, but we are now in all hands to the pumps territory and also it is time to gamble a little, especially away from home. I'd have him on the bench at least.

Quick? He beats people in tight spaces and they always catch up with him.

I think he's slow!

@richh87

Personally i'd rather start with Bigi and use Deegan off the bench. I don't really rate deegan as a starter - his distribution and positioning is no where near good enough for that. BUT, he does speed up the pace of the game when coming off the bench, and when the game is stretched and you don't need him to hold his position so much, he has much more of an impact.

Bigi will be a a serious part of this team in the future - him and thomas, if we can hang on to them, will hopefully form the backbone of our midfield over the next few years (providing they continue to develop and grow as players at the rate they have been).

I think if it weren't so feckin important right now that we are not making mistakes and giving away soft goals - they'd both be in the team more often. But its backs against the wall, and you have to look to experience in key positions in this situation for a number of reasons - and i think one of them is that no young player needs the burden of knowing he gave the ball away which they scored from which sent us down. I admire Thorn for protecting the youngsters as much as he's tried to. Its one of the reasons i think he's done a remarkable job to keep us in with a shout under the circumstances.

Well said that man. Spot on!

Grendel

I admire Thorn for protecting the youngsters as much as he's tried to. Its one of the reasons i think he's done a remarkable job to keep us in with a shout under the circumstances.

I dont really understand. I assume you are mainly referring to Christie, Thomas and bigiamara? The midfield by and large is the strongest area of the squad in terms of numbers with plenty of experienced players so they would only have to play when there is extreme injuries.

Christie has been over played by thorn due to his insistence on keogh being his first choice centre half.

Remarkable job? I'd hate to see him when he's performing averagely.

skybluegod

With Gael's confidence sky high and his creativity I'd put him straight in:

--------------Murphy
Clarke, Keogh, Cameron, Cranie
--Norwood, Clingan, Thomas
-----------Bigirimana
-------Nimely, McSheffrey
IMO we would get torn to shreds playing that 3 youngsters which don't put to many tackles in and clingan who has been dire this season and there to small up front they would be murdered by the center back the go against.

@richh87

I dont really understand. I assume you are mainly referring to Christie, Thomas and bigiamara? The midfield by and large is the strongest area of the squad in terms of numbers with plenty of experienced players so they would only have to play when there is extreme injuries.

Christie has been over played by thorn due to his insistence on keogh being his first choice centre half.

Remarkable job? I'd hate to see him when he's performing averagely.

Yeah:

Deegan,
Norwood,
Thomas,
Bigirimana

Loads of experience.

Users who are viewing this thread