Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Lord_Nampil

Can't read anything into that game at all!!! Midfield deegan was the only recognised player and that was his first game this pre season!!!!

ccfc92

Can't read anything into that game at all!!! Midfield deegan was the only recognised player and that was his first game this pre season!!!!

Agreed, but if we cant score against Nuneaton, how will we score against the mighty Yeovil :thinking about:

Ryan Parfrey

Its just a friendly. Yes its worrying that we didnt score but we played a team full of youngsters and trialists who are trying to jel together. Thats nowhere near our first team! we was without Murphy, Clarke, Malaga, Wood, Bell, Baker, Elliot, Kilbane, Macca, Fleck, O'donovan, Cameron and Christie? and this was also Deegans first game back in how long and also for McDonald! and for anyone who starts to get on Thorns back then its stupid, there's too much negativity and we need to get behind the team alot more this year if we want promotion! Judge Thorn around November time!

stupot07

Agreed, but if we cant score against Nuneaton, how will we score against the mighty Yeovil :thinking about:

But how many of the first 11 attacking players actually played, apart from Cody which was his first run out of the the season.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
no thoughts because i havent seen any of the friendlies but some questions

is there any discernible pattern in our play?
do we look compact and well organised?
what formations are we playing?
are we moving the ball forward with any pace?
are we creating chances?
have we found a leader on the pitch yet?
do the players look sharp and fit ?

friendlies are not massively important in terms of results but by now we should have an idea on some of the above (even if it isnt the finished article or if we are playing the second string)

torchomatic

Just got back. Not too brilliant it has to be said, but I guess it wasn't the first 11 so not two concerned. We didn't really see a lot of the two traillists so I wouldn't judge them just on one game; bit harsh to do so. The Edge looks useful as does Brown. Disappointing, but it's what happens in two weeks that really matters.

DSC00586.jpg

torchomatic

wingy

no thoughts because i havent seen any of the friendlies but some questions

is there any discernible pattern in our play?
do we look compact and well organised?
what formations are we playing?
are we moving the ball forward with any pace?
are we creating chances?
have we found a leader on the pitch yet?
do the players look sharp and fit ?

friendlies are not massively important in terms of results but by now we should have an idea on some of the above (even if it isnt the finished article or if we are playing the second string)
Can't really comment on the pattern OSB as we did'nt really seem to have any longterm possession ,no real tempo to our play ,quite pedestrian really.I could'nt take much from the game ,Reece brown seemed OK and regards Bruno i think he could be useful ,did'nt get much service ,got through twice and has quick feet which enabled him to get a couple of shots in one which shaved the angle.Definately not as at it as they sounded at Hinkley and Borough were very comfortable and far more effective.

BigCsCheesyGrin

To be honest i came away wishing i had been one of the latecomers who missed the first 20 mins due to queues but as has been mentioned it wasnt our first team. However a little fight and class would have been nice to see. No real style of football shown unless you bracket a style as 'clueless'. Hoofing up to the massive macdonald...not good. The brazilian in the Rosario role, without a mighty quinn to latch onto any headers.,not good. Highlight...Brown okay and and enjoyed chant at nuneaton goalie dressed in orange 'your just a fat fookin wotsit'.....yep it was a desperate afternoon. I just worry that the reason these free agents are free is because they are s**t. And as a club in desperate circumstances we could be signing some real crap

ClarrieB

3 meaningful pre season games and 3 defeats. friendlies or not that stat is certainly a worry

worrying - maybe, expected - by a small 'minority' of us who know things are unlikely to improve without leaders on the pitch and off - the biggest failure's are however - off the pitch with little chance of an imminent change

ClarrieB

Just got back. Not too brilliant it has to be said, but I guess it wasn't the first 11 so not two concerned. We didn't really see a lot of the two traillists so I wouldn't judge them just on one game; bit harsh to do so. The Edge looks useful as does Brown. Disappointing, but it's what happens in two weeks that really matters.

View attachment 1102

What inspires you to such faith Torchy? What is it about Thorn specifically that gives you such unwavering optimism?

Seriously, I'm interested...

WestEndAgro

A truly awful performance, couldn't string two passes together or keep the ball for more than three seconds, no player was any better than a generous 5 out of 10.
As for a obvious style of play there wasn't one and certainly no plan B.

torchomatic

I don't have unwavering optimism. As I said it's what matters in two weeks with his chosen first eleven that matters. Pre-season results are always topsy-turvey. We're not going to win 8-0 or lose 1-0 every week.

What inspires you to such faith Torchy? What is it about Thorn specifically that gives you such unwavering optimism?

ClarrieB

Why is it that whenever someone mentions things Thorn is doing poorly they face an onslaught from various usual suspects yet whenever challenged to identify things Thorn has done well their is never any valid measuring stick to be found and these same usual suspects go all quiet - Just sayin:whistle:

ClarrieB

I don't have unwavering optimism. As I said it's what matters in two weeks with his chosen first eleven that matters. Pre-season results are always topsy-turvey. We're not going to win 8-0 or lose 1-0 every week.

Fair enough - I guess this comes from you giving Thorn a clean slate then whereas I am factoring in my own assessment of his poorformance last season

shmmeee

Why is it that whenever someone mentions things Thorn is doing poorly they face an onslaught from various usual suspects yet whenever challenged to identify things Thorn has done well their is never any valid measuring stick to be found and these same usual suspects go all quiet - Just sayin:whistle:

It's the same both ways. You only notice it when it runs against your opinion.

Grendel

The truth is that friendly results are no big deal. The main purpose that they serve is to asses the squad and look at formations. That I hope is what is happening.

For certain if we persist in the nonsense style of play we deployed for the first half of last season it's not going to be much fun.

Grendel

Fair enough - I guess this comes from you giving Thorn a clean slate then whereas I am factoring in my own assessment of his poorformance last season

Careful you'll be told to go and watch another team down the M69 with that sort of negative talk.

ClarrieB

The truth is that friendly results are no big deal. The main purpose that they serve is to asses the squad and look at formations. That I hope is what is happening.

For certain if we persist in the nonsense style of play we deployed for the first half of last season it's not going to be much fun.

The results are not important no - but the questions as outlined by OldSkyBlue are fair questions to ask, I'll quote them here again for reference...with the answers I fear will be accurate

is there any discernible pattern in our play? No, none.
do we look compact and well organised? No.
what formations are we playing? Vague
are we moving the ball forward with any pace? Rarely
are we creating chances? Few
have we found a leader on the pitch yet? No
do the players look sharp and fit ? Not obvious, no real tempo

Someone who went to the game will hopefully give a more accurate reflection with there answers because these are good questions to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread