Thoughts on Scunthorpe Game (1 Viewer)

Littlewood Cov

Im never usually one to moan as i believe fans should always back their team through thick and thin. However, Scunthorpe were probably the worst team to come to the Ricoh in quite a while they looked absolutely dreadful! their left side was there for the taking Mcsheffery's legs are gone and the left back was average! Pressley should of seen this and encouraged Phillips to take more risks like he did at times 1st half. Didnt mind the passing 1st 30 minutes we were much the better team and bar the free kick they offered nothing so im not sure why they got booed off at half time. 2nd half was very bad too many touches on the ball not enough width and it seems like the players dont have the commitment to the club. It does actually seem like Pressley has lost the plot as he said the players couldn't give any more to the cause? from where i was sitting we dont move the ball nowhere near quick enough to break teams down, also why bring Turbott into the club and not give him half hour minimum in a game that was crying out for a bit of pace down the right? i know he's not match fit but surely he can manage half hour?

Should Pressley go after this latest shambles?

Last edited:

Otis

Im never usually one to moan as i believe fans should always back their team through thick and thin. However, Scunthorpe were probably the worst team to come to the Ricoh in quite a while they looked absolutely dreadful! their left side was there for taking Mcsheffery's legs are gone and the left back was average! Pressley should of seen this and encouraged Phillips to take more risks like he did at times 1st half. Didnt mind the passing 1st 30 minutes we were much the better team and bar the free kick they offered nothing so im not sure why they got booed off at half time. 2nd half was very bad too many touches on the ball not enough width and it seems like the players dont have the commitment to the club. It does actually seem like Pressley has lost the plot as he said the players couldn't give any more to the cause? from where i was sitting we dont move the ball nowhere near quick enough to break teams down, also why bring Turbott into the club and not give him half hour minimum in a game that was crying out for a bit of pace down the right? i know he's not match fit but surely he can manage half hour?

Should Pressley go after this latest shambles?

Well, by the same token, if Turgot isn't match fit, then neither is Aaron Philips.

Sky Blue Pete

First 20 was ok then the passing was all non adventurous and much too slow. We sat back, we didn't press the ball and we expected to be given a goal without making one happen.

My biggest frustration is we don't do the basic things. Why when we are losing do we not take throw ins quickly? Why aren't we urgent in our taking of free kicks, why doesn't anyone grab the team together and give them a talk during breaks in play?

Phillips stood out not because he made every pass or didn't make mistakes but because he was looking to get forward quickly and make things happen.

My considered conclusion is that Pressley talks as much nonsense with the players all week that they have no idea what's expected of them.

At half time he probably said stay patient and the goal will come.

He probably thinks taking job off was decisive and brave when we all know if he'd done it at half time it might have been and we might have won!

covcity4life

poor performance. we are a long ball team despite what pressley says. until last mins where we decide to play ball around the back despite needing a goal!

i dont mind barton and fleck as midfield duo as thomas and finch dont put in a tackle anyway. that goes for whole team, we jockey but dont tackle. teams get comfortable on the ball quickly against us.

still no real link up play upfront, worrying. also 1st touch all over park is sunday league quality, i thought pressley works on technial side non stop?

still nearly every game this season is decided by 1 goal margin, we play shite and still not in relegation zone, reasons for optimism perhaps.

still on plus side we didnt lose and should be good enough to stay up.

mrbluesky87

The one big difference I have seen this season to the season prior to Sixfields is pace, we have absolutely none which worries me. I remember seeing the likes of the moose and baker picking the ball up and running at defenders or the left and right backs getting crosses in, but its all gone. At first glance I thought Ryan Haynes was doing this but even he has stopped.

This gets me thinking is it a fitness thing, are the players being asked to do to much in training fitness wise thus they are just burnt out?? SP seems to be the type of person who if the team lose he gets them to do 100 laps of the Ryton pitch before training.

I appreciate there are other things a miss this season but for me this is the most noticeable, any thoughts?

Ashdown

According to the Telegraph the City fans were ' Boo boys' and 'Jeering' and the team coped well with that ??!!

LJC_CCFC

Tudgay: "There were some angry words in the dressing room, not angry because we don't get on, not at all, but because we feel we should have won the game.

Hmmmm.

Malaka

I thought we created some good chances and with a little more experience up front we would have won comfortably.
I really like Samuels, and I am sure he will develop into a quality striker but we don't have time to wait, we need someone with quality.

italiahorse

It was too defensive.
The midfield sometimes makes it a back 8 almost.
Defenders on the ball have no one to pass too other than the deep Barton, who is skilled on the ball but again no midfielder making themselves available too pass too.
Players up front were making runs, as was JOB, but by the time defenders and midfielders stopped looking at the ball they missed the run almost all the time.
Scunthorpe pressed us all the time while we casually stayed in our half when they had the ball.
A few passes outside our box and Scunthorpe always seem to get their crosses in.

The booing was at half time and at the end with more like moans and groans with the continued inability to get the ball forward and ultimately ending up with the goalie kicking it.

Absolutely shocking perfomance and yet a few more fans lost.

Good shout on Sisu out but they are not there. Need to target individuals like Fisher.

olderskyblue

Moment that made me smile was in the stands. Guy not far from me is a loud Mr Angry all match, and when someone put a tackle in, the shout came in a full on Mr Angry voice "that tackle was timid".....

"Timid" just didn't seem to fit into a rant somehow... made me and my mates smile anyway...

Terry Gibson's perm

What also worried me is that Pressley didn't get to coach Samuel much before the first game and he looked lively and scored, now he has had a bit of time to work his magic he was dreadful.

I agree with Italia if you want to force the manager out the only was it to make life uncomfortable for the likes of Fisher and Waggott, it tends to work as soon as you get on the chairmans case he looks for a scapegoat which is normally the manager.

ccfc_Tom

I thought firs thalf was the best I'd seen us play in a while and were unlucky to be losing. Barton looked good and tudgay had some nice touches - phillips and samuel should have had about 3 goals between them. Second half went back to the usual shite I've been watching week in week out, the play just went stale - poor passing leading to nothing while the tackling was half hearted. I thought O'brien was poor despite the boo's. It was completely disgusting the boo's and constant abuse aimed at the players during the game, no way does that have a positive effect on their performance and while were in a relegation battle we need to get behind them. Side note, can't believe sheff tried to cheat a win for scunthorpe against his home town the cheatin bastard

zigojacko

There's seems to be a distinct pattern in that when Pressley has the chance to talk to the players and (dare I say it), "coach", their performance deteriorates and they play like shit. Hmmmm. :thinking about:

torchomatic

To be honest I didn't think it was that bad, certainly not the worst ever performance as some of the hysterical have been making out. We had a lot of chances; more than enough to win the game and most of them fell to Samuel. Their goalie also made some good saves. I thought Tudgay played well too, even without his goal. Saying that, it certainly wasn't "outstanding" as SP made out, but neither was it that bad.

I thought Barton was pretty decent too.

I was disappointed by the fools who clapped McSheff's goals. Don't get me wrong, I defended him to the hilt on here when people wanted to get rid, thought he could do a job for us and still do, so I gave him a warm reception before the game, but once the whistle goes he's no longer in my thoughts, only those in Sky Blue, so I was pretty amazed that people were clapping him. Shouldn't be as they did the same to Morrell a few years ago. Apart from that it was bloody cold.

olderskyblue

To be honest I didn't think it was that bad, certainly not the worst ever performance as some of the hysterical have been making out. We had a lot of chances; more than enough to win the game and most of them fell to Samuel. Their goalie also made some good saves. I thought Tudgay played well too, even without his goal. Saying that, it certainly wasn't "outstanding" as SP made out, but neither was it that bad.

I was disappointed by the fools who clapped McSheff's goals. Don't get me wrong, I defended him to the hilt on here when people wanted to get rid, thought he could do a job for us and still do, so I gave him a warm reception before the game, but once the whistle goes he's no longer in my thoughts, only those in Sky Blue, so I was pretty amazed that people were clapping him. Shouldn't be as they did the same to Morrell a few years ago. Apart from that it was bloody cold.

Mostly agree. We made some chances, but in between those, the football was "boring" I thought. Seemed like a low key display to me.

Barton was my mom

Clapping Sheff's goal, or the non celebration, whichever it was, seems very odd.

I didn't think it was that cold though...

LB87ccfc

Absolute abysmal clapping McSheffreys goal and sums up what is wrong with this fanbase right now, fucking clapping an opponment scoring against us, I get the connection, but as you say Torch, the whistle went and he was trying his upmost to do damage to us so fans who clapped, what a bunch of wet melts you are.

Overall performance was pretty flat, we created the better of the chances but we could not find that killer pass or indeed find a little composure infront of goal until Tudgays goal.

The front three first 30 minutes were making good movement with Tudgay and Samuel linking well, but we just did not play it forward quick enough.

Samuel should of never looked for the lino's flag when played in by Barton, who also had a good game.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Problem is Pressley thinks we are dominating games when in reality the opponent allow us to 'dominate' possesion as they know we can't hurt them and then they try and hit us on the break. Plays right into their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread