Thoughts on last night (1 Viewer)

Cbaker89

I really think the 4-4-2 formation screwed us last night not only playing this formation did it mean when they counter attacked they exploited a BIG gap but it meant for less impact full subs bench. There was only bailey on that bench that could of changed things for us. If we had Elliot on the bench too he really could of made a big difference to us. I think it was risky playing attacking wingers as well without the defensive midfielder to cover this.

I also think that the confidence in our defence dropped when Dunn came on because I know mine did. However taking away this I think we played ok definitely got things we can take away from that game as a positive.

I think when there second and third went in we didn't really know what to do. Nobody seemed to be making space, although the determination was there I do believe there confidence took a big smashing!! We were making silly passes and instead of keeping the ball and playing it simple we rushed it.

I also believe it doesn't matter how long that game would of gone on for we wouldn't of scored and the importance of bringing a loanee striker is key and could be the difference in the next leg.

So the next leg we go into It now with nothing to lose. And football is the kind of support were anything can happen we could put 6 into them or they could put another 3 into us.

Otis

Thing is, though I do get what you are saying, playing 4-4-2 gave us 57% possession, 15 corners and 25 shots on goal.

Had less than a fifth of those gone in we would have said 4-4-2 worked perfectly.

You can't say 4-4-2 didn't work because we missed a hatfull of chances.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I don't think the formation was wrong, but they were cutting us open on the Counter.
I love Edj (seriously, way too much) but him and Wood together are too slow. Think we need a young, faster centre back to partner him. The loss of Murphy was huge though – he is a fantastic shot stopper but, more importantly considering the 2 CB’s, when the strikers do get clear he rushes to meet the ball and 19 times out of 20 he then clears it safely.

LastGarrison

All the short corners pissed me off last night.

I'm all for mixing it up but time and time again they tried it and were just wasted.

Also, think we were too gung ho last night and played the game as if it was a one off match rather than a two legged affair. Second half when we went 1 (and 2) down we should have consolidated rather than constantly pushing forward and leaving gaps. At 1 or 2 down I think we could have gone up there with seious hope but I think 3 down is just a bridge too far.

Ashdown1

I thought we lacked a real striker too last night, we may have had umpteen shots but there was no composure and no clinical finisher amongst them. The amount of crosses that skidded across the box while our forwards were too slow too react or didn't gamble. Oh for a Mick Quinn or a Dion Dublin !!! McGoldrick is sadly missed as with him we would still be playing the 4-5-1 and it would have been a lot closer and we may have found the back of the net.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Thoughts.............

Could have played all night would not have scored. No lack of effort or desire but needed more composure.

Was surprised that the heads all dropped so quickly when Crewe scored.......... the immediate reaction to the first goal was that everyones heads went down and it did not bode well. Yes they picked up a bit but it was more a forcing of the game rather than a controlling of the game

It wasnt the formation that cost us it was the lacking of finishing, some of the balls in to the box were not great and some decision making was awful

Generally through the team we lacked pace.

First half I thought at times the midfield played a little deep. Second half they lost their shape a bit.

Crewe were allowed to run through our midfield at times and for two of the goals at least ran with the ball far too far. Needed someone to break it up far earlier before it even got to our back four

Crewe were there to be beaten..... but they stuck to their game plan and were incisive when it mattered. There are things to learn from their performance

Best player on the pitch was their keeper..... pulled off some good saves, rode his luck, and controlled the pace of the game

Our central midfield did not get a grip of that area in the second half. The central defenders were lacking in speed and Crewe have a pacey attack (but not exceptionally quick)

Think it was a bit unfair to single out Dunn as some seem to have done..... Crewe finished their chances well and Dunn is not the shot stopper that Murphy is. He pulled off one good save and his distribution wasnt bad. The goals were not just down to him.

Defenders did not have same confidence in Dunn as Murphy .... is that really unexpected?

Our wide players still stand still too much to receive the ball

Some of the passes to the overlapping players were far too slow and deliberate.

Not sure what Ball offered to the team last night it was a strange substitution imo.

Think having to substitute Murphy really affected the team and options. I would have brought Bailley on earlier but also had Thomas on because he runs beyond the striker, breaks lines, has a solid passing game and gets his foot in.

We lacked a strong leader on the pitch. I dont mean captain. When we went 1 nil down we needed an experienced strong willed character to take things in hand, raise the team and control our play. The players were desperate to please the fans and forced the game too much leaving themselves vulnerable to counter attack.

I do not think we can pull this back..... Crewe score one (and they are very capable of that) and we need to score 5.

Think some underestimated Crewe ......... they were never going to roll over and give in, they have decent young players..... we needed an early goal to settle our lads

This result could seriously damage the rest of the season....... this is where we may find out more about MR's management skills and the backbone/mental strength that the squad has

The team in reality didnt play badly ..... it was just that we were all so desperate for success

just a few thoughts :)

Last edited:

Grendel

I thought we lacked a real striker too last night, we may have had umpteen shots but there was no composure and no clinical finisher amongst them. The amount of crosses that skidded across the box while our forwards were too slow too react or didn't gamble. Oh for a Mick Quinn or a Dion Dublin !!! McGoldrick is sadly missed as with him we would still be playing the 4-5-1 and it would have been a lot closer and we may have found the back of the net.

We would still have conceded goals and needlessly and wrecklassly chased the game. Formation is not relevant as we lost discipline.

CovMatt1987

I wouldnt really blame the formation for last night, as he played a formation and a team which lead to us being the overwhelmingly better team. If you offer me a formation that is going to get us 26 odd shots to the opponents 7, 57% possession and 16 corners to the oppositions 4 I believe it was, I would take it all day, and would be shocked to my core to hear we lost that game 3-0!

some other good points on here. We definately needed to be more clinical last night. But in terms of knowing that - in the form Clarke is on, in defence of MR you have to think he would have taken those type of chances. I agree more in saying we need another striker to give us a better option off the bench. we definately reacted very poorly to going behind also.

I may get shot down for this but I think in terms of Wood and the Edge - they did what we know they are good at very well last night. Wood made some great tackles and nicked the ball away, stood them up well, and the Edge was winning alot in the air (at least from what I saw). they just completely lack pace and got done for that - we all know that, MR knows that, so can we really be massively critical of them if thats where they get caught out?? I dont know if Crewe have played counter attacking football like that all season but if they have, we should have tactically been better briefed in terms of having a CB with more pace.Also agree on the short corners - although at the end we put the corner sin the box and they were even worse!

They are a couple of tactical things I think cost us - its probably one of the first times I have come away from a game and thought MR has been tactically beaten by his opposite number, which in terms of an overall record, is still pretty impressive. and as well as that, they needed alot of good fortune and an inspired keeper to get the result they got.

Otis

Thoughts.............

Could have played all night would not have scored. No lack of effort or desire but needed more composure.

Was surprised that the heads all dropped so quickly when Crewe scored.......... the immediate reaction to the first goal was that everyones heads went down and it did not bode well. Yes they picked up a bit but it was more a forcing of the game rather than a controlling of the game

It wasnt the formation that cost us it was the lacking of finishing, some of the balls in to the box were not great and some decision making was awful

Generally through the team we lacked pace.

First half I thought at times the midfield played a little deep. Second half they lost their shape a bit.

Crewe were allowed to run through our midfield at times and for two of the goals at least ran with the ball far too far. Needed someone to break it up far earlier before it even got to our back four

Crewe were there to be beaten..... but they stuck to their game plan and were incisive when it mattered. There are things to learn from their performance

Best player on the pitch was their keeper..... pulled off some good saves, rode his luck, and controlled the pace of the game

Our central midfield did not get a grip of that area in the second half. The central defenders were lacking in speed and Crewe have a pacey attack (but not exceptionally quick)

Think it was a bit unfair to single out Dunn as some seem to have done..... Crewe finished their chances well and Dunn is not the shot stopper that Murphy is. He pulled off one good save and his distribution wasnt bad. The goals were not just down to him.

Defenders did not have same confidence in Dunn as Murphy .... is that really unexpected?

Our wide players still stand still too much to receive the ball

Some of the passes to the overlapping players were far too slow and deliberate.

Not sure what Ball offered to the team last night it was a strange substitution imo.

Think having to substitute Murphy really affected the team and options. I would have brought Bailley on earlier but also had Thomas on because he runs beyond the striker, breaks lines, has a solid passing game and gets his foot in.

We lacked a strong leader on the pitch. I dont mean captain. When we went 1 nil down we needed an experienced strong willed character to take things in hand, raise the team and control our play. The players were desperate to please the fans and forced the game too much leaving themselves vulnerable to counter attack.

I do not think we can pull this back..... Crewe score one (and they are very capable of that) and we need to score 5.

Think some underestimated Crewe ......... they were never going to roll over and give in, they have decent young players..... we needed an early goal to settle our lads

This result could seriously damage the rest of the season....... this is where we may find out more about MR's management skills and the backbone/mental strength that the squad has

The team in reality didnt play badly ..... it was just that we were all so desperate for success

just a few thoughts :)

Never ever corrected you before OSB, but if Crewe score 1 we need to score 4, not 5.

4 would have the sides equal and then if it ended up that way at 90 mins it would go to a penalty shoot out.

CovMatt1987

In terms of the away leg - whilst it is possible for us to score 3 away, from everything we have seen last night why would we think we wouldnt be just as likely to concede?

we have no option but to throw everything at them in the second leg, and based on last night that is going to leave us very open at the back again, which they exposed with devistating efficieny last night.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I will let you just this once Otis :laugh::laugh::laugh: .......

SBS

I think we were unlucky. Their keeper had a blinder whilst Murphys absence proved how reliable he is and undervalued by some of our of fans. Don't think the formation was to blame, just the players Robins picked.

We didn't have enough in the middle of the pitch, Thomas or Bailey should have started ahead of Moussa I reckon. Leon is starting to remind me of Stern John, obviously knows how to score but when he doesn't it is frustrating to watch him. Both CBs looked shaky. Our wing play was decent though, I still don't know how we didn't score.

Users who are viewing this thread