Thorns signings (1 Viewer)

hitmanhearns

In the summer if hes given the go ahead, what could we expect from Thorn with a small transferkitty? He would now have dictatorial powers to wield in the transfer market, 4-5 players needed if the out of contract players go.

hopefully he can combine the two positions and keep bringin in the quality players we´ve gotten used to-this time to fit Thorn´s own attacking style of play-not colemans or hoofroyds.

And the whole team would be HIS players we´d be one of the few clubs with an entire team brought in by the manager in charge. A team built by Thorn!

I just hope he can keep winning games and get the job....he needs 3 wins out of the final 7 atleast to get it. And a Maximun of 2 losses.

Last edited:

TheRoyalScam

Your glass is half full, hitman, nice to see the optimism. Nothing against Thorn, especially after Saturday, but with SISU here my glass is almost empty...........................
:blue:

Paxman II

Old war horse won't do. I think we have a star in the making at this level with the Juke. King will stay hopefully.
A strong central midfielder in the Roy Keane mould.....but can't think who.
A right winger, keep mcIndoe and mcSheff.

Another good keeper in place of Westwood should he go.
Another striker who can fill in and keep the pressure on King and Juke. Macail-smith if peterbo'ro don't get promoted.
Release Freddie.
that's all.
Release carsley.

Jimthor

I'd love Mackail-Smith at Cov but i think there's other clubs at this level that'd have him and probably stand more chance of getting him.
As far as a CM in the Roy Keane mould, we should have Deegan back for next year. Whether he'll have enough class to shine at this level (especially after a full season out) remains to be seen though.

SkyBlueScottie

I have no doubt that Kevin Phillips would still score goals at this level, you just need to handle his workload.... saying that if he came here he would no doubt get injured and have to retire.

tippex9

Your glass is half full, hitman, nice to see the optimism. Nothing against Thorn, especially after Saturday, but with SISU here my glass is almost empty...........................
:blue:

It had been noted

procdoc

you've got to remember that next season the likes of Turner, McPake and Deegan will be like having new signings, if SISU don't sell them first! Anyway, hello to everyone here! I used to post on the telegraph forum until it got pulled. PUSB

Coventry La La La

Mackail-Smith will never come to us. Peterborough have slapped a £3 million pound price tag on him... And sisu are never going to invest that kind of money in a single player..

kg82

Phillips workload? When we played them in the cup he was immense. His movement off the ball caused so much trouble, pulled defenders this way and that way. If King went then I'd say Phillips is the man to get in, he'd still bang them in at this level.

Coventry La La La

Problem with Phillips is hes always said he won't drop down to the championship... It's either premierleague football for him or nothing in his eyes.

rob9872

you've got to remember that next season the likes of Turner, McPake and Deegan will be like having new signings, if SISU don't sell them first! Anyway, hello to everyone here! I used to post on the telegraph forum until it got pulled. PUSB

Hiya mate - I found this place too! cool isn't it :)

Nonleagueherewecome

Hiya, procdoc, welcome!

Didn't Phillips end up as Championship top-scorer whilst at WBA? Then when he was released he went to Championship Birmingham for their promotion season( because he wanted first-team football, from what I remember)? Sounds like a realistic target, as long as he doesn't mind 2k a week...

Mackail-Smith is out of contract in the summer and has already said that he won't be signing a new one. So Peterboro can say goodbye to their 3m! Sadly I think he's agreed to go to Norwich already. Cracking goalscorer, a real poacher, and another who learnt his trade in non-league ( @ Dagenham & Redbridge ).

kg82

If Norwich go up I would expect for them to aim higher than CMS? Not saying he wouldn't make it in the prem (though no prem teams have been linked) but it's a big step up from League 1. I can't see us being anywhere near his first choice though, so my argument is irrelevant!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

I dunno, Holt, Jackson and to a degree Martin made their names in the lower leagues (best season for Martin was last year). I reckon Mackail-Smith has more Championship starts (and goals?) from last season than any of them in their careers, bar maybe Holt. And that's from this season only. It's probably also more to do with him being relatively local, therefore easier to entice (no relocation) and less risk (little adaptation worries, free, won't upset wage structure, young). Similar profile to Blackpools strikers, I guess.

That all indicates at what a cracking job Lambert's done. He knows those lower leagues inside out, and built a team on a low budget largely out of players from there. Something for us to aspire to in these times of thrift. His most "pedigree" signings are probably his centre-backs. Mmm, now who did they use to play for?...

kg82

Yeah, I'm not saying CMS couldn't play in the Championship (although he wasn't that great, part of the reason why Posh didn't stay up was because their star strikers weren't producing consistently) but I think after a season in League 1 it would be difficult to step up to the Prem. I'm not even sure Holt will make it in the prem to be honest but, as long as they keep that 2nd spot, we'll see next season.

rob9872

Beckford was prolific and a bit more experienced but he struggled. Most who make the leap will. Even from L1 to Championship can be a big jump. Roy O'Donovan had a decent record there last year and hasn't even got a sniff in a struggling side here. I think the gap between Championship and L1 is growing as wide as that between the Premier league and Championshio

Nonleagueherewecome

That doesn't fit in too well with Leeds and Norwich being where they are, and indeed Leicester last season. Not exactly struggling with the step up. Beckford has struggled, but Moyes preffered to keep him and loan out Yakubu. He has scored a few, and looks to be adjusting. And we could ask where our best 3 signings in recent years came from (Walsall and Carlsile!).

Poor Roy, we don't actually know if he could do it. I reckon he may add a missing element to our side. He was good at Blackpool (albeit mostly out wide) in this division, and is probably the quickest guy in the squad. But 2 short sub appearances don't really tell you much!

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't Thorn the main man who found all of our past stars while he was a scout and good mates with Ranson?

I wouldn't mind having a look through his notepad to see who he has in mind, unless he just reads Football Manager websites to get some potential stars?

rob9872

unless he just reads Football Manager websites to get some potential stars?

Tbh he could do a lot worse! I think fans know their players strengths and weaknesses better than most and the assesments are done by the fans. My mate does it for Cov and he gets an early release copy of the game every year.

Nonleagueherewecome

To tie up both points-Deegan was a cracking lower-Prem quality signing in Football Manager for under 200k a couple of versions back! Just before we signed him, suspiciously enough...Fox and Dann were rubbish in it before we got them, though.

Tell your mate he was wrong about Turner-in the old versions he was so under-rated I always managed to sign him for Nuneaton! And I'll assume he wasn't involved in the days that Kyle was our best player in the game...

rob9872

lol will do mate :) I'm sure they're all biased and people will have their favourites but its not a bad indicator :)

Lots of hidden attributes too if I remember although I've not actually played it

Nonleagueherewecome

I had a bit of an addiction to it a few years ago, but I've managed to give up now. My fave version was not long after Prem relegation-Davenport and McSheffrey were both awesome youngsters, Bothroyd had Flair 18 and Workrate 4, Giddings was about 16 and grew into the England LB after a few years, Pead had Prem potential and Osbourne was a vicious little 15 year old ball-winner at the start. I used to take us to European Cup glory, playing an ambitious 442 Diamond with wing-backs...the City kids mixed in with a load of dodgy Spanish and Argie imports!

rob9872

I had a bit of an addiction to it a few years ago, but I've managed to give up now. My fave version was not long after Prem relegation-Davenport and McSheffrey were both awesome youngsters, Bothroyd had Flair 18 and Workrate 4, Giddings was about 16 and grew into the England LB after a few years, Pead had Prem potential and Osbourne was a vicious little 15 year old ball-winner at the start. I used to take us to European Cup glory, playing an ambitious 442 Diamond with wing-backs...the City kids mixed in with a load of dodgy Spanish and Argie imports!

Knowing his thoughts on the above mentioned players back then, he definitely did that one! :D

Tommo1993

Surprised Alex Nimely wasn’t mentioned. Scored a goal and won a penalty across 17 games and fans were besotted with him. The dizzy peak of his career, he was shite.

Users who are viewing this thread