Thorns replacement .............. (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

Okay - as you won't come up with a name yourself - how about Steve Cotterill? He's a 'football manager'

Dennis Wise or Paul Tisdale.

Cotterill is still a more successful manager than Thorn and will also be in demand for a job in management in the future. Something I can't see happening to dear old Andy.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Dennis Wise or Paul Tisdale.

Cotterill is still a more successful manager than Thorn and will also be in demand for a job in management in the future. Something I can't see happening to dear old Andy.

If Cotterill is the better manager, how come he's doing little better with a stronger squad?

And what are your thoughts on the other issues that effect first-team performance? i.e. our reliance in youth, our wage structure being in the bottom three in the league (which, by surprise is where we are), the sapping confidence of incessantly selling our best players?

Or are you simply of the mind that changing the manager will change everything?

Sick Boy

If Cotterill is the better manager, how come he's doing little better with a stronger squad?

And what are your thoughts on the other issues that effect first-team performance? i.e. our reliance in youth, our wage structure being in the bottom three in the league (which, by surprise is where we are), the sapping confidence of incessantly selling our best players?

Or are you simply of the mind that changing the manager will change everything?

No of course not.

A change of ownership and change of manager is what is required in the long-term.

I am aware that Thorn is only manager because of the owners.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

No of course not.

A change of ownership and change of manager is what is required in the long-term.

I am aware that Thorn is only manager because of the owners.

So, what if we got Wise in - your choice, I hasten to add - and we still had the wage structure we have an the reliance on youth. Would that work?

Or are you saying that the manager and owners have to change? Because that would give a financial advantage to the new man that Thorn never had. Which doesn't seem fair, does it?

Sick Boy

So, what if we got Wise in - your choice, I hasten to add - and we still had the wage structure we have an the reliance on youth. Would that work?

Or are you saying that the manager and owners have to change? Because that would give a financial advantage to the new man that Thorn never had. Which doesn't seem fair, does it?

I believe Wise could inspire more from this group of players than Thorn, yes.

I will ask you a question...if we had new owners and money to spend (a limited amount over a few seasons) would you take the risk of keeping Thorn in charge? Or would you want to bring in someone else to spend the money? Considering that once the money is gone that is it, much in the same way as it appears to have been with SISU?

dongonzalos

Tisdale seems the most sensible suggestion. Wise like Thorn is untested. However I think Tisdale would do exactly the same as Thorn. Get the team playing attractive football and will need to overachieve the keep them up under the current ownership. Whether he can overachieve or not is the big question. Is it fair to get rid of Thorn whilst he still has a chance of doing this, I dont think so.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I believe Wise could inspire more from this group of players than Thorn, yes.

I will ask you a question...if we had new owners and money to spend (a limited amount over a few seasons) would you take the risk of keeping Thorn in charge? Or would you want to bring in someone else to spend the money? Considering that once the money is gone that is it, much in the same way as it appears to have been with SISU?

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but when at the helm of the Leeds team in 2007 struggling with finances, didn't Wise take them down?

Post-take over? Thorn? Not a chance. But now - I refer you to my answer on the other thread

Sick Boy

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but when at the helm of the Leeds team in 2007 struggling with finances, didn't Wise take them down?

Post-take over? Thorn? Not a chance. But now - I refer you to my answer on the other thread

He did but they also got deducted points.

He is still very highly thought of by the Leed's fans and has a win % of nearly 50% there, so it is not as though he failed.

ccfc1973

i feel thorn doesnt motivate the players enough and questions have to be asked about his training methods as the players look unfit,fat and not able to last 90 mins... so due to money i think viable targets would be...
gregor rioch (as hes brought most the team through the academy) with bobby gould as his number 2, failing that people like tisdale,clark,allen,robins,money etc

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Aw come on. Win ratios! Is that all you can quote? It's so easy as it doesn't have to compel you to look behind the most simple.

Let me get one thing clear - Wise did brilliantly to get that team to Wembley in 2004. Absolutely stunning.

That stated, that team contained himself - and we all remember how good he was for us a season or so after - and the on-fire Tim Cahill and Paul Ifill. Put those three in Thorn's team now, with the form they were showing at the time, and I don't think we'd be bottom three now. Point being? They didn't sell their best players. Moreover, look at the balance of that squad - there's no youngsters like those who little our starting 11 now. The only one being the excellent Marvin Elliot. He had players like Neil Harris, who was 27 at the time and who bagged 93 in 233 appearances in that stint at Millwall; or Darren Ward who'd played over 200 times by the time he got to Wembley. Their dynamic - although again, I applaud his achievement in getting them there - was so different to ours as to not bear relevance.

And if you track his performance at Leeds, I think you'll find he performance best with Gus Poyet as his number 2. When Poyet left and be brought in Bassett; the results went southwards. Makes you wonder who the real power was in that relationship when you look when they've both done since, eh?

Last edited:

Real

Hasn't Thorn got to be sacked or leave of his own accord before we should worry about a replacement?

canleykid

With the way things have gone I'm just glad ken deluded went when he did,the real answer is no one would want the job,I mean we have a club with no ambition or money the future looks bleak it would be a massive risk for any up and coming manager to put there reputation on the line for a load of crap from sisu,and i think thorn knows he's safe and i also think he knows no one would come near the ricoh at this present time so all his mistakes go unpunished by sisu because they don't care a shit bout coventry city as a club the fans or the team.

Grendel

With a city this size and a huge stadium loads of people will want the job.

dongonzalos

With a city this size and a huge stadium loads of people will want the job.

I agree with both of you. Canley kid is completely right, however KDUFFY is also right people will still take the job and unfortunately for them like Thorn, people will ignore the shit hand they are dealt and expect them to perform miracles.

Unfortunately for AT he faces the media and the flack whereas SISU hide

BackRoomRummermill

Gary Johnson ex BC would be the ideal choice, someone who has a good work ethic and took Bristol up to the Championship from the bottom of L1

I quite like the man and so did we fans a few years back. At least he is experienced and a personality

dongonzalos

Gary Johnson ex BC would be the ideal choice, someone who has a good work ethic and took Bristol up to the Championship from the bottom of L1

I quite like the man and so did we fans a few years back. At least he is experienced and a personality

He had a really good rep, where is he now, he was sly and passed Mcindoe onto us

wingy

Knocked us back three or four years ago,happy to be back at Yeovil,i'm amazed we hav'nt seen Martin Allens name bandied about yet.

dongonzalos

Although I dont think sacking Thorn is a good idea, if the worse happens then this makes interesting reading

F.C. Copenhagen

After a long period of rumors it was announced on April 1st 2011 Nilsson would take over as head coach in F.C. Copenhagen after Ståle Solbakken.[1] Nilsson joined the club on June 1st 2011.[2]. On January 9th 2012, just six months after his recruitment, despite topping the Danish Superliga at the time, he was sacked and replaced by the sporting director Carsten V. Jensen. [4]

Malmö FF

On 10 October 2007, Malmö FF announced that Nilsson had signed a four-year contract as coach, replacing Sören Åkeby.[3] This was a controversial move, because Malmö are the main rivals of Helsingborg and IFK Göteborg, two of Nilsson's former clubs. Nilsson enjoyed little success during his first two seasons at Malmö FF, and his side finished in mid-table positions in both 2008 and 2009. In 2010, however, he finally managed to create a winning team from the squad left by Åkeby, and the team enjoyed top league positions throughout the season finally winning the league.

Users who are viewing this thread