Thorns replacement .............. (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

I dont want Thorn to go. Persoanally I think he is over achieving (in that we still stand a chance at this stage considering SISU's hatchet job over the last two years).
Just intrigued a lot of people who seem to be shouting for Thorn's head seem a little reluctant to put forward a name of a realistic successor. Please can we have your replies also be mindful SISU will only pay what thorn is currently on so please be realistic.
Mick McCarthy, Alan Curbs and the likes is not realistic. Personally I think the only way this squad could stay up is if you had a man who can get players to play well above their stations such as Oneil or Warnock (at championship level). I dont think there is someone like that out there. Happy to stand corrected if you can come up with someone.................

dadgad

Haha Dongozalos, you've trounced them with a simple direct question which not one of the brain dead can answer.
Laughable......and a bit sad too.

MatthewWallis

Absolutely anyone would do, I'd rather have my dog in charge than Thorn, and I don't even have a dog

mark82

Absolutely anyone would do, I'd rather have my dog in charge than Thorn, and I don't even have a dog

Have to say that is a ridiculous response. Utterly pointless.

I would have maybe Greg Abbott or Lee Clark if we could afford. If not would go for Carsley or Rioch. Not until the end of the season though. I'm torn as to whether I want Thorn to stay or not.

Colonel Mustard

Just intrigued a lot of people who seem to be shouting for Thorn's head seem a little reluctant to put forward a name of a realistic successor

Wrong. The question has been asked and answered many times before.

For me, Carsley or Rioch. Failing that, do a lottery with all the applicants and pick a name out of the hat. There are no guarantees with any manager - it's just about changing the status quo in the hope of a spike in performance before Coventry City Football Club is relegated to the third tier of English football.

singers_pore

I honestly think that there is no manager in the world who could realistically have kept us from relegation given how poor our team already were last year and then the subsequent letting go of any players with any worth since the Summer. This is by far the poorest team I have seen at Coventry since I attended my first game back in 1978.

I am not saying Thorn is wonderful or owt like that. I just don't see that anyone could have done very much better. Moreover, I think that if our manager had been Coleman, Dowie or Reid we would currenly have only about 15 points.

Otis

The realistic option as has been stated dozens and dozens of times is Carsley and Rioch.

Why do people keep saying no-one answers the question when quite clearly people keep answering the question?

And sorry, but to say AT is overachieving is just plain ridiculous.

Otis

But the sensible supporters on here aren't saying Carlsley and/or Rioch because they are the best option. We can all name all sorts of names and possibilities. The names of Carsley and Rioch come up because they are the realistic option and probably the only option.

Otis

Interesting post from Coventry banter here.

Would say I pretty much agree with that.

Andy Thorn - Back Him or Sack Him

By West End Boy on Feb 20, 12 09:49 PM in

Saturday's loss was a hard blow and summed up our season.

Having beaten Leeds, we yet again failed to turn our chances and possession into goals and record back to back victories for only the second time this season. To add insult to injury, both Forest goals were yet again stoppable.
Again he was at a loss to explain why we keep conceding late stoppable goals when we consistently work on this in training. Add this to his constant bemoaning of bad luck and the teams consist inability to play a game for ninety minutes (except Leeds), something is wrong.

At present we just seem to be drifting along towards relegation.

It sadly seems to me he has run out of ideas with the current squad. .

We are all aware of the limitations of the current squad, even the players have stated that we need more players.
So maybe we have one last chance to save ourselves from relegation but as usual it requires SISU to act and act now.

SISU have to either back him, by allowing him to bring in a couple of much needed quality loans. The kind we were promised once the loan window opened nearly two weeks ago?
Or sack him and allow a new manager a chance to get some points on the board.

We have all seen in the past that a new manager normally gets results in their first few games. Even Andy Thorn managed this once he took over from Aidy Boothroyd.

Andy Thorn has a far worse record than any of the other managers that SISU have sacked and yet he remains in place with, it seems, with the full backing of the management (excluding financial backing of course!).
As much as the majority of the fans like the bloke, sacking him maybe the only way to save the club from relegation?

With no away wins and only six wins from 32 games this season, what have we got to loose?

Grendel

According to the creator of this thread he would have 10 more points than Big Sam if he managed west ham.

mark82

According to the creator of this thread he would have 10 more points than Big Sam if he managed west ham.

How did you come to that conclusion. I don't necessarily agree with the OP but you don't help your argument by talking utter bollocks.

Grendel

How did you come to that conclusion. I don't necessarily agree with the OP but you don't help your argument by talking utter bollocks.

Because the person who started this thread said 2 days ago west Ham would have 10 more points if Andy thorn was in charge. No doubt about it as we argued the point.

mark82

Because the person who started this thread said 2 days ago west Ham would have 10 more points if Andy thorn was in charge. No doubt about it as we argued the point.

Which thread was that? Need a giggle this morning.

dongonzalos

so, so far we have Rioch whose managerial career is 'On leaving Leigh, he was appointed manager at Danish club Køge BK. He spent two years there as manager, before returning to England in 2006 to manage first Manchester City's under-17s, then their reserves. After only a year, he left to manage Coventry City's academy side'
Or an untested Carsley. Am I right in thinking people think Thorn is out of his depth because he is inexperienced?
I am not sure either of these two options would be better to be honest. I do like the post about back him or sack him it is a shame we cant judge Thorn under supportive owners. I wish the underline button would remove this underlining.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Rioch#cite_note-ccfc-0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Rioch#cite_note-ccfc-0

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I dont want Thorn to go. Persoanally I think he is over achieving (in that we still stand a chance at this stage considering SISU's hatchet job over the last two years).
Just intrigued a lot of people who seem to be shouting for Thorn's head seem a little reluctant to put forward a name of a realistic successor. Please can we have your replies also be mindful SISU will only pay what thorn is currently on so please be realistic.
Mick McCarthy, Alan Curbs and the likes is not realistic. Personally I think the only way this squad could stay up is if you had a man who can get players to play well above their stations such as Oneil or Warnock (at championship level). I dont think there is someone like that out there. Happy to stand corrected if you can come up with someone.................

Personally I agree with NLHWC that Tisdale would be a good choice ..... now for the rest of your post

Think you find that AT would be of the opinion that his team has under achieved (points dropped from winning positions, unlucky decisions, sheer bad luck all quoted by those in support of AT). So he would think he should have done better as a manager is primarily judged on results

Without the cost cutting where do you think the club would be. In reducing wages we have got rid of decent players and dead wood. Some of the "stars" going actually trebled their earnings if not more by going (Westwood reportedly on 25K pw) how the hell do we compete with that without going bust - oh i know keep throwing borrowed money at it with no guarantee of success :facepalm: We achieved little with the so called stars why pay more than you have to achieve the same or similar result

We have no idea of how much AT is on or what SISU would pay someone else - you are just making an assumption in making an opinion.

Curbishley wouldnt come here - his main criteria is that he will only go to a premiership team (stated that often including on SSN) but no you are right managers of that ilk are unrealistic which is why no one here will realistically say to get them.

There is talent in our squad - what we need is to cut out the errors and a system of play that reduces the possibility of error in our own half. Plenty in support of AT cite that he has been unlucky, that we have matched most teams, that we could/should have had more points so which is it players not good enough or the players doing ok but not set up to be successful?

Just to be clear I don't just blame AT for our current position, its far more complicated than that, but he is part of the problem and i do question his performance as manager

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Oldskyblue thanks for suggesting a manager and making your point as oppose to suggesting your dog, anyone or just avoiding the question. Have to admit Tisdale looks a tasty option if in my opinion the worst happens and Thorn is sacked or quits. Tisdale seems a simialr manager who plays attractive football and has had to deal with lots of player loses

Sick Boy

:D:D

This has to be the best troll of all time, doing an excellent job.

Thorn has overachieved- hahaha!!

ICHAN

I don't get if the worst happens and Thorn is sacked or quits, it isn't as though he has been one of our best managers ever and he has been dealt a shit hand.

He knew what he was letting himself in for from the start and so on taking the job he was on a win win situation.
If as look's highly likely we go down he is not to blame (sisu's fault and sisu's fault only in the eye's of some fans).
If we do some how manage to stay up he will be heralded as a master genius and the next manager for big things by some.

I have no sympathy for the bloke, nice bloke does not give the team I have supported for 40+ years points on the table, we have/are having one of the worst season's ever and I want to forget about it as quick as possible, he should have gone at xmas.
As for replacement anyone who is a manager, how could anyone be any worse?
They couldn't and don't lets go down the fergie, mourinho, o'neill could have done no better craziness because that is just the most ridiculous statement ever.
He is totally out of his depth and if he loves the club so much, as some would beleive, he would have done what's right for the club month's ago and walked and so forcing sisu's hand in having to appoint someone else.

dongonzalos

So, we carry on with a scout as manager? I like your logic.

Ok lets test your logic Thorn is a scout you want anyone who is a football manager. I assume you mean anyone who has been a manager before Peter Reid is a Football manager so is Don Howe maybe Terry Butcher or Byran Robson shall we get them in?

Sick Boy

Ok lets test your logic Thorn is a scout you want anyone who is a football manager. I assume you mean anyone who has been a manager before Peter Reid is a Football manager so is Don Howe maybe Terry Butcher or Byran Robson shall we get them in?

Any of them would do a better job than Thorn.

Users who are viewing this thread