Thorn (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Why would I google it, I'm not that bothered. Just saying how I remembered it.

I have you clearly have amnesia.

Astute

I accept you are wrong. See if you can google the odds as the season was about to start once the players had all gone. I have looked at the odds I was laying. 1.9 at the start of the season. Why would anyone take less than evens if they could have got 5/2?

Grendel

Why, because I remember differently?! Bit defensive but suit yourself.

I'm not defensive. I'm in a remote oupost in Lincolnshire and board. Apologies.

Astute

So was I until a few years ago. I survived it with a couple of braincells still working though

SkyBlue_Bear83

No, I didn't unfortunately.
CITY
Lose away to Hull = 0
Beat P'Boro at home for win = 3
Draw Brizzle away = 1
Lose Burnley away= 0
Draw Millwall at home = 1
Beat Donny at Home = 3
Lose at Soton = 0
TOTAL 8 points

NOTTS FOREST
Draw away to C Palace = 1
Win at home to Bristol = 3
Draw away to P'Boro = 1
Lose at home to Blackpool = 0
Lose away to Reading = 0
Lose away to Hull = 0
Beat Pompey at home = 3
(Game in hand) Lose away to Leicester = 0
TOTAL 8 points

BRISTOL
Draw against Derby = 1
Lose away to Forest = 0
Draw against City = 1
Lose away to B'Ham = 0
Lose at home to West Ham = 0
Home win against Barnsley = 3
Draw away to Burnley = 1
TOTAL 6 points

DONCASTER
Lose against B'Ham = 0
Lose away to Leicester = 0
Beat Burnley at home = 3
Draw against Pompey at home = 1
Lose away to Mid'boro = 0
Lose away to City = 0
Beat Ipswich at home = 3
Draw away to C Palace = 1
TOTAL 8 points

PORTSMOUTH
Beat Burnley at home = 3
Lose away at Soton = 0
Draw at home against Millwall = 1
Draw away to Donny = 1
Draw at home to C Palace = 1
Win at home against Derby = 3
Lose away at Forest = 0
Draw at home to Hull = 1
TOTAL 10 points

Table would look like this

Notts Forest 47
Cov City 43
Bristol City 42
Doncaster 39
Portsmouth 40

That is the first time I have ever predicted City to stay up this season. :eek: To me it all boils down to us not losing at Bristol.
Is this not a post from you predicting we would stay up? I may have been confused by you saying "That is the first time I have ever predicted City to stay up this season."

LastGarrison

I accept you are wrong. See if you can google the odds as the season was about to start once the players had all gone. I have looked at the odds I was laying. 1.9 at the start of the season. Why would anyone take less than evens if they could have got 5/2?

For me, you're looking to much into the term "start of the season", by that I meant sometime before the season started not 1 day before kick off.

And as for them being odds on at the start of the season, absolute bollocks, most bookies didn't have us odds on until the start of November and at the start of the season, i.e. the very first day of the season, we were generally 7/4.

No wonder no-one took your price of 1.9.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Surely this whole debate now is becoming side-tracked. The issue isn't whether Thorn cheated the odds given by the bookies, it's whether he cheated, or continues to defy the odds given by the owner's investment in the first team squad. Anything else a distraction.

Their investment rate was in the bottom three. Their return has been in the bottom three. Anyone expecting anything else has a mindset beyond me

Otis

Is this not a post from you predicting we would stay up? I may have been confused by you saying "That is the first time I have ever predicted City to stay up this season."

You're right. Forgot about that.

That was me doing the prediction leagues. In my mind I always had us going down. It was only when I calculated the games one by one in prediction mode when I discovered we were staying up!

Forgot all about that. Manay apologies. :D

SkyBlue_Bear83

You're right. Forgot about that.

That was me doing the prediction leagues. In my mind I always had us going down. It was only when I calculated the games one by one in prediction mode when I discovered we were staying up!

Forgot all about that. Manay apologies. :D
pheww thanks, I guess that means we can all go on our holidays now without worry then :D

Astute

Yeah right. So people have taken odds that didn't exist? We have not been favourites all season, but when not favourites we have been close to it. 4 teams are now less than evens. I suppose you can get better than that though considering only 3 teams go down

For me, you're looking to much into the term "start of the season", by that I meant sometime before the season started not 1 day before kick off.

And as for them being odds on at the start of the season, absolute bollocks, most bookies didn't have us odds on until the start of November and at the start of the season, i.e. the very first day of the season, we were generally 7/4.

No wonder no-one took your price of 1.9.

kg82

Is this not a pointless argument that just seems to be going round and round in circles? Does anybody really care that much to argue what the odds were at the beginning of the season? Surely it's just about concentrating on surviving now.

Brighton Sky Blue

My problem with the Thorn out brigade is the refusal to acknowledge that the squad has been ripped apart and that this gave us a squad destined for relegation.

Yes the Manager will have off days (as Ferguson or Mourinho will) - but overall he has kept us in with a shout of staying up.

This Blackpool thing seems to now have been magnified to an entire half-season; which is utter bollocks.

Except few want him sacked-all we say, and continue to say, is that he has faults as a manager, for which SISU are not to blame.

SkyBlue_Bear83

3208ac1e3dc8d2188de6d1479ca2eed8
3208ac1e3dc8d2188de6d1479ca2eed8.png

Only 2 points off our current total :eek:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Except few want him sacked-all we say, and continue to say, is that he has faults as a manager, for which SISU are not to blame.

Let us be clear, every manager has their faults. Every single one.

What SISU have done is to rob Thorn of the talent to cover his arse when he drops a howler. Other managers - managers of our perceived contemporaries - have this luxury. We don't.

That's why may of us think Thorn's been dealt cards from which it's very difficult to perm a winning hand, compared to our peers. No more, no less. Acknowledgement of this simple fact is a great starting point for the detractors to at least start constructing a considered stance

Brighton Sky Blue

We do, and argue that certain parts of his performance are below par even in the context of SISU. We are all very very aware of the club's financial state relative to its peers who spend what they don't have.

@richh87

What is good however, is to see that the people that don't like Thorn so much point to his record post xmas as a reason for his pre-xmas record being unacceptable.

This can only mean that he has learned rapidly from any mistakes.

Imagine what he'd be like next season with cash under new owners!

My Andy Thorn cult is coming along nicely...

Astute

I'll join your cult if you take my wife and 7 kids off my hands

Grendel

Astute

Would very gladly have that over singledom Astute!

Eldest 26, youngest two are 2 and 3. Not so bad as only have 4 at home. Going to a game is peace for me. That is until my 2 year old starts going soon. He has the initials CCFC. Had enough of my other lads supporting other teams,although they are all teams close to where they are born so can't complain too much. Should be easier this time as our nearest club is Barrow :)

This debate needs some fresh impetus. Let's add some percentages into it.

I think our league position is 80% SISU's fault, 20% Thorn's.

:D

Grendel

This debate needs some fresh impetus. Let's add some percentages into it.

I think our league position is 80% SISU's fault, 20% Thorn's.

:D

I would probably agree with that.

Otis

If he's French triple it at least!!

Used to work for a French company and when the things went wrong the boss always used to put his head in his hands and shout out 'triple shit!'

Users who are viewing this thread