92 29 38 25 31.52

Coventry-
G W D L Win%
6 3 2 1 50

Total:
G W D L Win%
226 87 83 56 38.5

Thorn:
although he had limited resources and would of been a miracle to save us from relegation, we went down to league 1 with him. like his post match interviews he was probably also boring in the dressing room and by the sounds of things let them get away with too much. E.g no fines. players seemed to be low on morale etc...
Seemed a nice guy and when he was caretaker manager did great job but from what we've all heard, (boozing regularly, not caring if players were late to training, losing them in the dressing room) he obviously wasn;t right for the job and drawing against a terrible bury side after being 2-0 up was a disgrace!

Robins: At rotherham when he got appointed, they sat 13 points adrift of safety, making the threat of relegation almost inevitable. He had a spell of three wins in six games while in charge as caretaker manager, and moved the club off the bottom of League One.
The first season with robins in full term charge saw Rotherham consistently in the automatic promotion places until a late dip in form, and the second almost brought promotion despite a 17 point deduction imposed by the Football League!
Robins also attracted many high calibre players, similarly to what he has done with cov already.
At barnsley, who were also one of the favourites to go down, he kept them up and made them a hard team to beat.
Now at cov, he's imposed several disciplinery solutions, increased the sides morale, got them playing good football, began to change the team/ formations/ positions around to find the best team and got us back to winning ways. despite being at clubs who each were in danger of relegation, he managed to turn things around and hopefully can do the same for us and get us promoted too!!

Robins beats thorn hands down and has clearly learnt well off sir alex!

ajsccfc

Are we seriously not getting any nearer to people forgetting about Andy Thorn for a few minutes?

Sky Blue Sheepy

Are we seriously not getting any nearer to people forgetting about Andy Thorn for a few minutes?
He got us relegated and did not bother to train the players! He deserves to be hung out to dry for years to come - arguably as much as SISU.

The relegation bit I could accept. But finding things like not fining players for not turning up and, worse, cancelling sessions for them not turning up is unbelievable! No discipline and things that most managers would do day-to-day as a minimum is unforgivable in my eyes!

I said for all of last season that the players we had at the club were more than capable of keeping us up - a small squad maybe but 2 wins between the start of the season at December? Pathetic with the talent we had! (I know most people think our squad was tripe but I stand by my opinion that the ability was there, just not being used.)

Astute

Robins took over from Shaw. Can we compare these two? I know which did better in the FA Cup. We all love lies....I mean statistics ;)

ashbyjan

Dann, Fox, Jutkiewicz, Westwood, Turner, King, Gunnarson, Keogh, Bigi, Cranie, Clingan, Thorn, McSheffrey all gone so can't we just move on, forget about them and get behind what's left? Sorry McSheff was wishful thinking.......

dongonzalos

Does seem a bit of a pointless comparison.

Comparing a bloke who had his top players sold under his feet and not replaced playing in a division higher.

Who was allowed 3 league matches in this division when he was finally backed.

With a bloke who inherited that side with the nine signings plus Goldie and then was allowed to make 4 more.

I like Robins, I liked thorn I think the circumstances are so far apart it is impossible to compare.

The closest you could compare is this season. 4 games.

Thorn 1 win 3 draws
Robins 1 defeat 1 draw 2 wins.

However I would say in the wins Goldie was arguably the difference and thorn was trying to sign him.

We played poor in all the matches bar York and 45 mins against bury. Except with Goldie we got the wins.

Nick

Administrator
If Thorn is such a great manager then surely he will be back in the game pretty soon? Time will tell..

Grendel

Does seem a bit of a pointless comparison.

Comparing a bloke who had his top players sold under his feet and not replaced playing in a division higher.

Who was allowed 3 league matches in this division when he was finally backed.

With a bloke who inherited that side with the nine signings plus Goldie and then was allowed to make 4 more.

I like Robins, I liked thorn I think the circumstances are so far apart it is impossible to compare.

The closest you could compare is this season. 4 games.

Thorn 1 win 3 draws
Robins 1 defeat 1 draw 2 wins.

However I would say in the wins Goldie was arguably the difference and thorn was trying to sign him.

We played poor in all the matches bar York and 45 mins against bury. Except with Goldie we got the wins.

A bit unfair - even the useless twat Thorn managed the occasional point.

Love it how now "Goldie" is one of his signings. So he signs players before he joined us (Fox and Dann) and now he signs players after he left!

Who actually says Thorny was signing Goldie? Was it the same bloke who said Alex Nimeley was going to be joining a Premier League Club and the same bloke who said Malaga was being chased by another Premier League Club? (or is it the same Premier League Club).

Don you may not have noticed but most of your friends who supported the useless fool are now conspicious by their silence on the subject.

Give it up. Even MMM and NLHWC have gone silent on the matter - and that says it all.

Mucca Mad Boys

A bit unfair - even the useless twat Thorn managed the occasional point.

Love it how now "Goldie" is one of his signings. So he signs players before he joined us (Fox and Dann) and now he signs players after he left!

Who actually says Thorny was signing Goldie? Was it the same bloke who said Alex Nimeley was going to be joining a Premier League Club and the same bloke who said Malaga was being chased by another Premier League Club? (or is it the same Premier League Club).

Don you may not have noticed but most of your friends who supported the useless fool are now conspicious by their silence on the subject.

Give it up. Even MMM and NLHWC have gone silent on the matter - and that says it all.

Papertalk said we wanted McG, when AT was manager...

But Waggott was told he was available, he passed the info to Carsley + Shaw and the deal happened.

Grendel

Papertalk said we wanted McG, when AT was manager...

But Waggott was told he was available, he passed the info to Carsley + Shaw and the deal happened.

So he was a Waggot signing. Don't tell MMM that'll really wreck his weekend.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Coventry City development director Steve Waggott said: “David has been a target for several weeks now but it looked, until today, like there was no possibility of bringing him here.

Weather he was identified by Thorn or someone else, nobody knows however we were after him when Thorn was at the club

dadgad

Grendel: People like MMM and others have stopped defending AT because they've moved on. I'll tek a wild guess and say they're busy thinking about other stuff having the equipment to develop an idea.
Even Dougal in Father Ted has more going on.

Grendel

Coventry City development director Steve Waggott said: “David has been a target for several weeks now but it looked, until today, like there was no possibility of bringing him here.

Weather he was identified by Thorn or someone else, nobody knows however we were after him when Thorn was at the club

The inference however in Dons post (which I am aware is said only to generate a response) is that thorn targeted him.

Also interesting that normally anything waggot and fisher says is never normally believed.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Getting married this week, so kinda busy. The imminent lure of a beach penthouse in Mauritius seeming more of interest the participation in yet another tiresome debate

Mary_Mungo_Midge

So he was a Waggot signing. Don't tell MMM that'll really wreck his weekend.

AT identified him, Waggott refused to back him, then realised his mistake and went back for him? Sounds plausible. Still, a cheeky Rioja has my name on it. I'll leave that with you

lordsummerisle

Getting married this week, so kinda busy. The imminent lure of a beach penthouse in Mauritius seeming more of interest the participation in yet another tiresome debate

Congratulations, sure that you and Andy will have a wonderful life together.

Just hope he's been provided with the tools for the job, though you may actually like him with his hands tied behind his back!

Grendel

Congratulations. I am sure your new husband will enjoy the rest before resurrecting his sensational managerial career.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Let's have some originality please gents. You evidently share the same wavelength in the parallel universe that supports your skewed existence.

Besides, beach holiday in a hot, humid tropical environment with Andy Thorn. Even I'm not defending that budgie-smuggling abomination

Grendel

Let's have some originality please gents. You evidently share the same wavelength in the parallel universe that supports your skewed existence.

Besides, beach holiday in a hot, humid tropical environment with Andy Thorn. Even I'm not defending that budgie-smuggling abomination

At least the sex will be contextual.

Brighton Sky Blue

AT identified him, Waggott refused to back him, then realised his mistake and went back for him? Sounds plausible. Still, a cheeky Rioja has my name on it. I'll leave that with you

Damned for not backing Thorn, damned for eventually backing Thorn blah blah blah.

CJparker

From the initial look of it, Robins is the better manager. But AT was a good man and he didn't deserve the sack like that, it was truly disgusting.

Mucca Mad Boys

From the initial look of it, Robins is the better manager. But AT was a good man and he didn't deserve the sack like that, it was truly disgusting.

Well, disgusting isn't the way I'd put it, reading between the lines, it would seem Thorn was going to get sacked at the end of the season, (now for facts) Thorn made several demands to the board with the promise of change, it didn't happen and as it would seem the board didn't have total faith in him, his position was untenable, overall, he had to hit the ground running, he didn't, he therefore deserved the sack, harsh in the circumstances yes, but it was increasingly inevitable he was going to get the sack.

Grendel

I am a senior manager in a large organisation. In any normal company of that standing thorn would not have lasted 5 minutes. I don't know him. He could be a good man or a terrible one. Irrelevant. He was not for for purpose was taking money under false pretences and should have been bulletid in October last year. At the very least after Southampton last year he should have been told to find the train home and never return. In twenty years time when people talk about this period no one will ever be able to explain how such a clueless individual was manager of quite a reasonably sized football club.

Users who are viewing this thread