Thorn Says (1 Viewer)

ICHAN

not at all

he took the job without talking money, so one FACT that I do know is if SISU can save cash they will.

I hardly think they doubled his wages.

I am happy to wager something on Thorn being the lowest paid manager in the championship

More fool him, sorry ccfcway that's his problem if he did.
We still only have 4 wins all season and the stats are pilling up against us for worst records, and I am sorry if you do not agree or if no-one agrees, but to me that is nothing to be proud of as a CCFC fan (not saying anyone is proud of this) and on this alone he should be gone, but how can people justify in wanting to keep him on as manager?
No other club would have left him in the job he has and have as much sympathy from the fans

Last edited:

ICHAN

do we not remeber when AB was sacked and thorn took over it gave the team a lift and we stayed in this division, perhaps it is time to try that again before it is to late? thorn has not had it easy but adding to his lack of management skills aswell as having poor quality players surely a more experienced manger would save us ??? that would be the very last throw of the dice

Been saying this for ages sub, what is there to lose?
Nothing but so much to gain.

flashgary

do we not remeber when AB was sacked and thorn took over it gave the team a lift and we stayed in this division, perhaps it is time to try that again before it is to late? thorn has not had it easy but adding to his lack of management skills aswell as having poor quality players surely a more experienced manger would save us ??? that would be the very last throw of the dice

Lets face it, it wouldnt hurt now would it. However to bring in someone else would cost money unless your talking about Bobby Gould who im sure would do it for free.

Sub

even somebody with experience to help thorn or a manager on a short contract till the end of the season anything to help us stay up !!!!!!

Grendel

We should have a post dedicated to the qualities of andy tj
Thorn. It's sad really. People want something to succeed so they just ignore every stat thrown at them. The irony lost on all thorns supporters is that only sisu would employ him! He is a symptom of the problem. Clueless, gutless and with no shame. It's the same when people cheer Eastwood. Desperate for a hero when none exist.
All the bad stats this season are terrible. But margin of defeat every time is narrow. A decent manager would have given us a chance. This useless charlatan gave us no chance from the start.

flashgary

even somebody with experience to help thorn or a manager on a short contract till the end of the season anything to help us stay up !!!!!!

However Sub, SISU will not spend a penny on this club and will continue to take everything out of it until there is nothing left to take. So until they sod off like it or loath it we are stuck with Thorn.

Big Cyrille

Sir Alex wouldn't keep us up and to be honest we are going nowhere until the asset strippers are gone forever!!!! I want to go to sleep and when i wake up i want them to be gone and we have owners in charge of us who want to run a football club and not a business

Grendel

Sir Alex wouldn't keep us up and to be honest we are going nowhere until the asset strippers are gone forever!!!! I want to go to sleep and when i wake up i want them to be gone and we have owners in charge of us who want to run a football club and not a business

You don't know he wouldn't keep us up so that is a pointless statement. I do know that Manchester United would not have been a major force in world football if Andy Thorn was in charge of them.

Big Cyrille

Maybe you're right (Kduffy) but what i do know is these are the worst players we've had since we've been relegated and they try their socks off. I've seen previous teams under Gary Mac, Peter Reid, Micky Adams etc with better players stroll around and under achieve. I believe we're not under achieving this year. We just have to face facts that we're just not good enough

Grendel

Maybe you're right (Kduffy) but what i do know is these are the worst players we've had since we've been relegated and they try their socks off. I've seen previous teams under Gary Mac, Peter Reid, Micky Adams etc with better players stroll around and under achieve. I believe we're not under achieving this year. We just have to face facts that we're just not good enough

You REALLY think McCallister and Reid's teams were better? I don't.

Big Cyrille

I know we had poor players under these managers. The only manager we've had that has done well since we were relegated was Eric Black and maybe Roland would have done well if we hadn't bought Jim Smith in but how many players have we got now that other championship sides would want? In my opinion we have Richard Keogh and i'm struggling to find another

la-ccfc

If you look at some of the players we had then in my opinion they would walk into this side.

Under Mcallister we had Bothroyd, Safri, Konjic, Eustace, Davenport and even Mcallister himself if you include the season Black took over you can add Warnock and Adebola. I would also add Stern John when Reid was in charge, I can't really remember any other of his signings.

stupot07

Really? In 2002-03 McCallister had himself, Safri, Chippo, Eustace, Davenport, Konjic, Caldwell, Sheffers, Joachim, Holdsworth, Jansen, Hignett, Partridge, Shaw - not all the greatest but 11 of these players had premier league experience, Partridge, Joachim, Boothroy and Sheffers had pace, some creativity in McCallister and Hignett, and as bad a Joachim was for us, i'd have him every time over ROD and Cody. And McCallister had 8 assists.

in 2003-04 McCallister had himself, Warnock, Doyle, Shaw, Staunton, Davenport, Safri, Joachim, Adebola, Sheffers, Gudjonsson etc Again 6 or 7 players with premier league experience, there was some dross like Graham Barratt, although he did get a full Rep Ireland cap while playing for us, there's also pace upfront in Joachim, Adebola, Sheffers - i'd take them pair over ROD/Cody and Platt - (sheffers scored 11 League goals in 16 starts)

In 2004 Reid had Doyle, Hughes, McSheffrey, Shaw, Staunton, Suffo, John, Adebola, Morrell - granted the rest of Reid's team weren't great but again you would take Dele, John and McSheffrey at that time over our strike forces now, again there's still top flight experience in Hughes, Shaw, McSheffrey, Staunton, Suffo, and John.

Grendel

All I would say is if you are arguing Patrick Suffo and Andy Morrell are better players than we have now we will just agree to differ on this one and Stern John -- loved by every City fan if I remember as was Steve Staunton.

J

Jack Griffin

All I would say is if you are arguing Patrick Suffo and Andy Morrell are better players than we have now we will just agree to differ on this one and Stern John -- loved by every City fan if I remember as was Steve Staunton.

Granted they weren't the best players, but they were better on their goalscoring records in that period compared to our strikeforce there days. Plus it isn't just the strikers that are poor, our midfield can't find the net either!

League stats only...

Player ... Starts (subs) Goals
Adebola. 115 (48) ....... 31
Suffo...... 22 (26) ......... 10
Morrell... 53 (45) .......... 17 * mostly wasted on right wing

Deadwood.. 72 (39) ..... 17 * compare with Morrell!
ROD.......... 6 (7) ........... 0
Platt........ 30 (18) ......... 5
Baker ...... 47 (23) ......... 2 * compare with Morrell!

I could compare John with Sheffs or Juke, but all decent enough for lower Championship team, the main point I'm making here is -- OUR SUPPORT STRIKERS/MIDFIELDERS DON'T FRIGGIN WELL SCORE EXCEPT ONCE IN A BLUE MOON & THEY USED TO CHIP IN A LOT MORE, hence we are stuffed!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The thing these stats ignore, although they are compelling in one regard, is that Thorn is dealing with a demoralised squad, as star players are sold at every turn.

But let me guess, it's Thorn's fault for not motivating the balance left every time, eh

Grendel

The thing these stats ignore, although they are compelling in one regard, is that Thorn is dealing with a demoralised squad, as star players are sold at every turn.

But let me guess, it's Thorn's fault for not motivating the balance left every time, eh

Oddly yes that's his job. Perhaps if they had a manger they have belief in they may improve morale.

Grendel

Nothings impossible and as we have a manager with no experience, no pressure in terms of delivering results you me or no one else will ever know a new manager might not have changed fortunes.

Look where peteborough are. Swansea were relegated by the media before a ball was kicked. Thorns bungling has helped make it impossible.

ccfcway

Oddly yes that's his job. Perhaps if they had a manger they have belief in they may improve morale.

Would man utd players believe in Fergie if they let Rooney / Rio / Carrick / Giggs and Nani go without replacing them.

Thats pretty much what we have had to do with our team (let our best players go).

Is Thorn the worlds best manger, well, no-one knows, but what we do know is being botom of the league is not his fault !

stupot07

Peterborough and swansea are not great examples they haven't got new managers and have been playing in the same/similar system and style of football for the last 4 1/2 years. Yes ferguson went to preston for a bit but he was able to pick up where he left off. The same with Swansea - Martinez developed the system and style of football and subsequent manager have built on it rather than scrap it an start again.

Not to mention that both teams went into this season off the back of success, which breeds confidence and self belief.

I can't believe that after everything that's happened at our club there are still people left blaming Thorn. You couldn't make it up.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Stern John??? :mad:
Biggest lump of deadwood that ever pulled on a sky blue shirt!

Macca

I can't believe that after everything that's happened at our club there are still people left blaming Thorn. You couldn't make it up.

No I blame sisu and thorn who is happy to be on their payroll
Despite knowing he can t do anything. They are one and the same

Grendel

Manager criticised for being bottom of the league. Shock, horror. Sorry I thought his job was to try and improve things. My mistake.

The Reverend Skyblue

I think what most people are not anti Thorn the man, it's the tactics that he sticks by come rain or shine that most disapprove of.
If a certain system does not work , or the players in the team can not get used to them, etc ,then surely you would find a system to fit the players you have available to you.
I have seen very few anti-Thorn the man posts, its his stubborness to stick with the diamond and looking at the table i would of thought by now that he realised it has not been working.
We are bottom and almost certainly down, one of the major problems that has caused this is, the tactics to fit the players he has available to him.
Very few are anti - Thorn the man, and we all realise he's pissing against the wind, but why play a system that requires at its core, that players with touch and skill must have it in there locker to get the ball down play it around and when ready make that killer pass, when quite clearly we have no players of really true quality to do this. My opinion only.

The Rev

sky blue john

For the "Thorn Out" brigade...

remember this comment........

"McPake was injured and had to come off, I had to put Clarke on, as he is the only other fit defender at the club"

Excellent point ccfcway also I would like to point out to the muppets who think that we should be doing better with the players we have.
" We don't know what players are having to play with injuries each week because our Fu cking squad is so thin and the Wan kers Sisu are responsible for not replacing any players they have sold or run down their contract "
If Sisu say one more time that they are doing all they can with AT to strengthen the squad I will screeeeam !!!!!!!
How about don't Fuc king sell our best players !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reverend, that I can almost understand (even though I don't think any manager we are capable of getting would have us outside the relegation zone right now).

It's posts like this that I can never understand:

No I blame sisu and thorn who is happy to be on their payroll
Despite knowing he can t do anything. They are one and the same

That's got nothing to do with tactics and there's no logic to it either. It's just pure ignorance.

shmmeee

I think what most people are not anti Thorn the man, it's the tactics that he sticks by come rain or shine that most disapprove of.
If a certain system does not work , or the players in the team can not get used to them, etc ,then surely you would find a system to fit the players you have available to you.
I have seen very few anti-Thorn the man posts, its his stubborness to stick with the diamond and looking at the table i would of thought by now that he realised it has not been working.
We are bottom and almost certainly down, one of the major problems that has caused this is, the tactics to fit the players he has available to him.
Very few are anti - Thorn the man, and we all realise he's pissing against the wind, but why play a system that requires at its core, that players with touch and skill must have it in there locker to get the ball down play it around and when ready make that killer pass, when quite clearly we have no players of really true quality to do this. My opinion only.

The Rev

What system would you suggest?

The diamond was thought up because we have a dearth of CMs and no wingers, we still have that squad in fact.

We've tried 433 and looked poor until we switched back to the diamond. 442 is out the window as previously stated we have no wingers. We've tried 532 in some parts of games and it's never looked good, and besides is generally accepted as outdated anyway.

I keep hearing that the diamond is rubbish and the reason we're doing badly, but no-one ever explains why and what should take its place. Much like Thorn really.

Astute

There teams were never bottom and scored more goals

Their teams never got any decent goalscorer sold or let go for free without being replaced.

We do not play like a team stranded at the bottom of the table. We normally lose by only one goal. Why is this? Other teams are after goalscorers. SISU will sell anyone that will bring money in. Our top scorer at the club is now on 3 goals after half a season. If we had an owner that was willing to back our manager we could have King and Juke still at the club. How many on here are so biased or so thick to say we would be bottom with a partnership of those two and cover for all positions?

I suppose it is the fault of AT though. He should be able to make players good enough to score goals. The players should be able to play whilst injured. Our younger players should be able to get the better of the seasoned pro's.

The way I see it is AT must be doing something right. The results keep going against us, but we rarely get outplayed. We just need goals to have a chance. Maybe a couple of seasoned pro's to help the younger players out.

Users who are viewing this thread