Thorn sacked tonight (1 Viewer)

Greggs

One suspects a lot of these so called supporters that want him out do so from home.

Can't be bothered and not got time to read through this thread, but AT won't be given the boot yet. Also, how can anyone say that Carsley or Shaw should take over? They have less experience than AT and are supposed to be helping out by sorting our defensive play.

I go every week and want him sacked

Grendel

One suspects a lot of these so called supporters that want him out do so from home.

Can't be bothered and not got time to read through this thread, but AT won't be given the boot yet. Also, how can anyone say that Carsley or Shaw should take over? They have less experience than AT and are supposed to be helping out by sorting our defensive play.

I haven't said they should and given that we have lost 25% of supporters again this season I would say Thorn is certainly not persuading people to the ground.

The real problem actually is we will of course start winning games and will win more points than lose by nature of the squad.

However under Thorn there will always be mishaps like yesterday - we will always slip up because of his poor management.

As a result we will miss out on promotion - probably not by a significant margin but by enough to mean we are in even more financial trouble.

That is the problem. We will win some games so MMM and Gaz etc (along with the expert Linnell). can all smile and say told you so without realising the bigger picture - a better manager will bring at least 10% improvement in results and just like last season we will need that 10% in the end.

Gaz

The supporter issue is the main point actually.

Thorn is supposed to be a popular manager but crowds look likely to be down by 25% this year and there was a similar decline last year.

One suspects a lot of these so called supporters who rate him do so from home.

He is not engaging fans and clearly has not given anyone confidence we will have a successful season.

Are the crowds down because of Thorn or Sisu ?

If you support Thorn, then you are a "so called supporter" ( Thats sad, even for you )

Grendel

Are the crowds down because of Thorn or Sisu ?

If you support Thorn, then you are a "so called supporter" ( Thats sad, even for you )

They are so called because they do not go. Look at the evidence in the ground. Lots in the ground boo him the radio station is bombarded with people saying sack him this message board has at least 70% now calling for him to go.

What does it take to make you see it?

Greggs

I have just brought loads and loads of new parts for my new KITCAR. The trouble is i don't know how to put the pieces together to make it work competently and competitively

Ccfcisparks

I've just had a text from a mate and he said there is going to be and official statement by the club in a matter of hours. Just what my mate sent to probably nothing to it, but who knows we can always dream :D

Gaz

They are so called because they do not go. Look at the evidence in the ground. Lots in the ground boo him the radio station is bombarded with people saying sack him this message board has at least 70% now calling for him to go.

What does it take to make you see it?

Most people who call into CWR and moan, don't go the Ricoh when asked if they came. So you are wrong there.

The booing that I hear is for the Team as a whole.
I have never heard once, any fan shout Thorn out
Maybe you could grow a pair and do it next home game ?

If I think we are not going to do well with Thorn then i'll say so, but changing the manager without giving him a fair chance with his team is just crazy.
THREE games in YES 3 ! games into the season , we are unbeaten, that isn't enough for me to say he has to go.

theprince

For those shouting for experienced managers to step in and replace Andy Thorn have to remember one thing that would cost money, big money something SISU haven't got and if they had wouldn't part with. Nicking the Yeovil boss or Exeter's or MK Dons would cost increased wages and compo for their clubs. Bringing in the likes of a Billy Davies, Mick McCarthy, Alan Curbishley etc would cost mega wages. Hireing and fireing managers costs, old staff out new ones in so forget that under these owners. So should Thorn go his replacement will be either Lee Carsley, Richard Shaw or and don't laugh Kevin Kilbane, why else were they brought here ? All linked in one way or another, Carsley/Shaw players together here, Carsley/Kilbane teammates at Everton and Eire. As for experience the three of them have played about 1500 Premiership games between them, Carsley and Kilbane over 150 internationals between them. Who were more experienced than Peter Reid, Mickey Adams, Iain Dowie. Personally i think the ground work has been done just a question of when and who becomes boss and i am beginning to suspect the players know something too, there seems to be a lack of motivation in their attitudes and play.

A lot will depend on behind the scenes goings on, SISU are broke football wise atleast, although paying off AT wouldn't alter their finances much if at all. I said earlier when mentioning Kevin Kilbane don't laugh but he is seen in the football circles as manager material, Shaw has already been an assistant manager at Millwall so maybe sees that as his roll here. My guess is after the transfer window, September sometime. Tim Fisher for me is a horrible smarmy git and comes across as a first class prat, but knows he is not to to lose what few fans we have and they need to be kept on-side, it is only a matter of time things turn ugly at the Ricoh , a bollocking v Brum Tuesday and adverse results in any of our next league matches may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Thorn.

Ccfc1979

Most people who call into CWR and moan, don't go the Ricoh when asked if they came. So you are wrong there.

The booing that I hear is for the Team as a whole.
I have never heard once, any fan shout Thorn out
Maybe you could grow a pair and do it next home game ?

If I think we are not going to do well with Thorn then i'll say so, but changing the manager without giving him a fair chance with his team is just crazy.
THREE games in YES 3 ! games into the season , we are unbeaten, that isn't enough for me to say he has to go.

I sit in Block 20. At the end yesterday, many booed. Also, many shouted at Thorn. I shouted 'you are clueless' and how many times do we have to put up with this diamond and letting things slip away? - cretin!' Other shouts from near me were 'time to go' 'p**s off Thorn' and shouts about him being a fat b****rd. Then, on the stairs leaving, there were a lot saying he should go. Not one person I heard said anything positive about him. Even someone I had an argument last season when I shouted for him to go was saying he should. Something changed yesterday. You ate wrong - there is a growing sense he's not up to it. Growing.

ccfcdan

Because where has sacking gaffers got us? He's had HIS team a matter of weeks. Yes I'm as frustrated as everyone. But thorn getting the bullet isn't the answer. I think this team, with thorn is more than good enough to compete for top 6. Anyone believing we should walk into auto promotion are crazy. If we played the game we had today after 10-15 games we would have been 4-0 up at HT. it's early doors and players are still getting the sharpness. But pulling the trigger 3 games in is typical Coventry and pathetic. Sacking managers and rebuilding is why we're here.

Good post. I'm still not sure, I agree that it is early days and that's there's still all to play for. However the mistakes made over the last 3 games are the same as last season, making changes to late, Not being able to hold the lead. Was it just the players last season? Or was it Thorns tactics? If we don't act soon will it be to late? I honestly don't know. After the way we played first half I was really impressed and I guess Thorn deserves credit for that, however how the hell can you perform so badly just 15 mins later? I just don't know what we should do. I guess all we really can do is get up the Ricoh and show our support for the players! PUSB

Last edited:

Otis

But what or who do you consider inexperieneced...look at Chris Powell at Charlton!? Could Lee Carsley/ Richard Shaw turn into them....Charlton tried the experienced tried and trusted manager route look where it got them untill now!!

Don't think any of us believed Eric Black would be a success after the disaster that was Gary McAllister and with Black himself being part of that very management team.

Simply unreasonable to say that any of AT's team would be a disaster. Every man to himself is an individual and would do things in his own unique way.

Mucca Mad Boys

Good post. I'm still not sure, I agree that it is early days and that's there's still all to play for. However the mistakes made over the last 3 games are the same as last season, making changes to late, Not being able to hold the lead. Was it just the players last season? Or was it Thorns tactics? If we don't act soon will it be to late? I honestly don't know. After the way we played first half I was really impressed and I guess Thorn deserves credit for that, however how the hell can you perform so badly just 15 mins later? I just don't know what we should do. I guess all we really can do is get up the Ricoh and show our support for the players! PUSB

We were playing OK up until the penalty, after that, panic set in and Bury had nothing to lose and 'went for it' and with just under 40 mins left, it was game on.

Nonetheless, we still should've kept that lead, regardless.

theprince

Lets just blow one on going myth out of the water. Andy Thorn has had time, plenty of it. Yes players have been sold around him and in the early part of last season the number of youth team players he needed to pick was a joke, but since Christmas we have had the majority of our "senior" players available and in the squad, just as we have now. The tools AT has to work with can no longer be an excuse, remember one of our most inexperienced players of last season who hardly played after Xmas, Brigiranna is now knocking on Newcastle Uniteds first team door.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Don't think any of us believed Eric Black would be a success after the disaster that was Gary McAllister and with Black himself being part of that very management team.

Simply unreasonable to say that any of AT's team would be a disaster. Every man to himself is an individual and would do things in his own unique way.

I agree Otis. When we took on John Sillet as manager I remember people saying "who the heck is he?" He had 5 years of doing nothing in football since leaving Hereford United as manager and came to us as Bobby Gould's assistant. I think we all know what happened after that......... 1987 anyone??

Ccfc1979

Lets just blow one on going myth out of the water. Andy Thorn has had time, plenty of it. Yes players have been sold around him and in the early part of last season the number of youth team players he needed to pick was a joke, but since Christmas we have had the majority of our "senior" players available and in the squad, just as we have now. The tools AT has to work with can no longer be an excuse, remember one of our most inexperienced players of last season who hardly played after Xmas, Brigiranna is now knocking on Newcastle Uniteds first team door.
Plus, as many have said, you do the best with what you've got. I truly believe he hasn't. How can a team get into winning positions so often? Kids not hardened enough? Maybe. Or the wrong tactics, no ability to change and a stubbornness on a system that just doesn't work! He said himself he sent teams out last year to not lose not to win. The claim is this year will be different. I see NO difference. Different faces, same ineptitude tactically.

torchomatic

Any takeover news? :thinking about:

skybluejack10

we need new owners, never mind a new manager! we have a quality team this season and still thorn can't make them click
i think he's lost them in he dressing room and is tactically naive

Stevec189

We stopped what we were doing in the first half playing the ball around making them work. They stopped doing what they were doing losing the ball passing poorly and standing off people. Biggest change for me was the 15 who came on tackled well kept the ball passed to a man wearing the coloured shirt. Not often you see a sub change a game so radically but we let him do it. PUSB

TheSnoz

Grendel, think you overestimate the influence (if any) of this forum. 70% of - lets be generous and say - 300 people, not very many is it? A tiny fraction of the City support. A few on here make a lot of noise and it is a good place for people to express their views, but it isn't representative of the City support.

Grendel

Grendel, think you overestimate the influence (if any) of this forum. 70% of - lets be generous and say - 300 people, not very many is it? A tiny fraction of the City support. A few on here make a lot of noise and it is a good place for people to express their views, but it isn't representative of the City support.

Of course it's representative. MORI and exit polls take a far lower percentage of the electorate and confidently predict results with an error margin of 5%.

I don't know what games Gaz goes to. Thorn got plenty of abuse at the end.

Ask yourself this if he was sacked tomorrow do you think it will adversely affect attendances?

shmmeee

Of course it's representative. MORI and exit polls take a far lower percentage of the electorate and confidently predict results with an error margin of 5%.

I don't know what games Gaz goes to. Thorn got plenty of abuse at the end.

Ask yourself this if he was sacked tomorrow do you think it will adversely affect attendances?

MORI polls have a sample size of over 1000 and are not self selecting. Not saying SBT isn't representative but that poll proves nothing.

D

Deleted member 4439

MORI polls have a sample size of over 1000 and are not self selecting. Not saying SBT isn't representative but that poll proves nothing.

Sample size required for a given confidence level depends on the size of the population, so citing MORI's sample size is meaningless. But, agreed, unless the skew around the normal distribution is known, one is left to extrapolate from the level of the boos at the end of game: so, my feelings are that it's pretty representative...

WillieStanley

We gave away a needless penalty. As soon as that went in, the crowd turned. It happens so often and I understand why. I've seen us lose so many leads over the years I've lost count. I can't help but feel that the crowd turning at this point is partially the problem. I'm coming to terms with leaping off the fence and starting to believe that Thorn is not the answer. I also cannot stomach our fans booing at the end of a match where we have drawn. I can't abide with fans turning on scapegoats such as Baker, who I thought was no worse than anyone else on the pitch, especially when I though he had quite a decent first half. When has this attitude towards players ever helped? At 2-2 we were still trying to create but for some reason the belief wasn't there. I'm sure I wasn't alone when I went into the concorse at half time thinking we might see 4 or 5 more City goals. That's probably why it hurt so much. We need to start turning this around. No more excuses from Mr Thorn.

Sky

I'm not being funny but the telegraph site isn't working for me and no one else has confirmed it but fan sites

Users who are viewing this thread