Thorn or Robins? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

The worst manager in the club's history still has his supporters long after his sacking, whilst one of the most successful (statistically), is reviled for jumping ship.

Funny really, if Thorn was any good, he probably would have left too.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Brighton SB you have got it!

Yes this is exaclty why I raised this question !

would people would prefer the flawed Thorn or the 'fly by night' but successful Robins?

Integrity v quality

Brighton Sky Blue

Brighton SB you have got it!

Yes this is exaclty why I raised this question !

would people would prefer the flawed Thorn or the 'fly by night' but successful Robins?

Integrity v quality

Problem is that Thorn's integrity was never tested by another club coming in for him-because he was never deemed worthy of interest. So it's hard to say whether he does indeed have more than Robins, who was found out directly because of his managerial talent.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Yes no known offer yet for Andy Thorn.

Another question, who has damaged us the most?

Clearly although Thorn was restricted in resources by SISU, he had a significant part in our relegation.

Robins walking out at such a crucial stage may cost us promotion and could mean 2 or 3 more seasons down at level 3.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The worst manager in the club's history still has his supporters long after his sacking, whilst one of the most successful (statistically), is reviled for jumping ship.

Wouldnt say im a Thorn supporter. Haven't said hes a better manager than Robins. Just that he didnt shit on us.....

stupot07

To be honest I was always disappointed with the standard of Robins wave, it just wasn't quite up to Andy Thorns high standards. :eek:

Grendel

Thorn, no matter how shit he turned out, would never have walked out on us!

So for that fact, ill vote for him!

(Wasnt made clear in what respect the question was made)

He was shit and would never have walked out as no one else will ever want him. I assume this is humour I hope so.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes no known offer yet for Andy Thorn.

Another question, who has damaged us the most?

Clearly although Thorn was restricted in resources by SISU, he had a significant part in our relegation.

Robins walking out at such a crucial stage may cost us promotion and could mean 2 or 3 more seasons down at level 3.

Robins walking hasn't done any damage yet, we've won our last two games 2-0, kept 2 clean sheets on the bounce but under MR we kept, something like 4 in 24?

CJparker

Very harsh comment about a decent and honourable man, trying to steady a sinking ship in impossible circumstances. Criticising Thorn is like criticising Platt for not being top goalscorer in the Premier League.

Given time and backing, I think AT would have got us back up. Even when we struggled he kept us going. Not for nothing is he compared to Jimmy Hill

Grendel

Very harsh comment about a decent and honourable man, trying to steady a sinking ship in impossible circumstances. Criticising Thorn is like criticising Platt for not being top goalscorer in the Premier League.

Given time and backing, I think AT would have got us back up. Even when we struggled he kept us going. Not for nothing is he compared to Jimmy Hill

There is nothing decent and honourable in picking up your pay cheque and making no effort to earn it.

Undoubtedly the worst manage of all time.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not harsh at all CJ-in fact, factually correct. Just 2 wins by Christmas, awful football, and the promise to 'hit the ground running' this season. He instilled a defeatist, half arsed mentality in the players which took Robins some time to get rid of. To compare him to Hill is insulting to the great man himself (and no I don't mean Thorn).

CJparker

I think you'll find out failings were all down to SISU, AT couldn't do any more than he did

ps1948

I think you'll find out failings were all down to SISU, AT couldn't do any more than he did

Thorn, as someone else has pointed out, "prepared" the team for this season so badly that they were not fit, and had no tactical nous. The previous year he had (as Manager I believe he should be the one taking responsibility) allowed Eastwood a full pre-season training, then couldn't motivate him at all to do anything. He was the worst manager I have known at the Club, despite all of the failings of SISU.

As far as Robins is concerned, why hate him? He has turned the team around, brought in some great players, got rid of a lot of deadwood, and moved to a (sorry if this comes as a surprise to some) bigger team in a higher league, nearer his home and family, and for more money. I was disappointed he left, but fully understand that for him, as for almost all managers and players, CCFC is just a job, not a lifelong commitment that we as supporters have

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He was shit and would never have walked out as no one else will ever want him. I assume this is humour I hope so.

It was Grendel! Had the question been 'who was the best manager' that would have been simple (and a bloody silly question in my book)

Its obvious Thorn was way better than Robins.............

In some people eyes (not mine though)

Users who are viewing this thread