Thorn is not the man. (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Gunn was sacked after a 4-0 win, he also brought 12 players into the club before being fired.

...and he has a win ratio that The Clueless One could only dream about.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I take nothing out of context. My view is he is nowhere near management material and never has been. Your view is different. Fair enough. We will see who is proved right. I hope it is you.
You can't help yourself can you with your "I hope it is you" comment, you have to label every one as one of a Thorn supporter or a non supporter of Thorn

I am not saying Thorn is a good manager and is the right man to get us promoted

As a reasonable person I acknowledge that apart from his first 10 games when he had King, Westwood etc. this is the first time I believe we have a squad good enough to compete relative to the league we are in

To me Thorn has at most 15 games to prove he is the right man to take us up or should be sacked

Weather he is up to that job is another matter but I am willing to give him the chance with the squad he has assembled

Black6Osprey

I remember seeing it in an old programme my mate had where it showed the team with the formation, we used in at least 2 games. B.Gudjonsson, Delameaux, suffo, Macca, Joachim all played.

So you were 9 years old and we played 4-2-4 FACT because Deloumeaux, Gudjonsson, Suffo, Macca and Joachim played together. Well unfortunately all of those players were never on the pitch at the same in any game home or away FACT. I remember seeing Ian Wallace score against West Ham in 78 in my first ever game but I couldn't tell you jack about anything else. Shall I go and ask my dad?

It doesn't really matter what the formation is as long as we play it well and at present we dont appear to play any of them particularly well.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Of course, and the relegation the season before.
Well no, not really because of the relegation. The fact that they let him start the season and recruit players shown that they were willing to give him a chance however the extremity of the defeat forced the club into an extreme decision

This was the quote
"However, the board met this week following Saturday's unacceptable record home defeat in our opening game of the season."

So his sacking was a direct result of the defeat

And to answer your question if we were to lose 7-1 as Norwich did I think I would support the sacking of the manager

o.gif

Grendel

And to answer your question if we were to lose 7-1 as Norwich did I think I would support the sacking of the manager

o.gif

But not it seems the worst management record of any manager since 1917 - for that he deserves at least another 9 games.

Mucca Mad Boys

But not it seems the worst management record of any manager since 1917 - for that he deserves at least another 9 games.

Regardless of what you think, he's here to stay for the foreseeable future, so you may as well back him for 9 games before calling for his head.

As a supporter, best thing you can do is GO to Ricoh on Tuesday and roar on the lads.

PUSB!

ClarrieB

Well no, not really because of the relegation. The fact that they let him start the season and recruit players shown that they were willing to give him a chance however the extremity of the defeat forced the club into an extreme decision

This was the quote
"However, the board met this week following Saturday's unacceptable record home defeat in our opening game of the season."

So his sacking was a direct result of the defeat

o.gif

I don't think this is accurate actually - as someone on here constantly refers to context - the context here was a poor performance following on from a poor season - if the defeat had been following a season in which norwich were promoted then the context would be different.

Nonleagueherewecome

The title of this thread would work well as a lyric set to Nick Cave's "Death Is Not The End".

ClarrieB

Norwich and Lambert used it in league 1 and championship, they are in the premier league now.

But don't let silly reasoning like that get in the way of your Thorn vendetta

Obviously there is more to management than just selecting a formation but the diamond can be successful if you have the right players and set up for it

If we are still playing bad and not looking like mounting a challenge after 10-15 games then I agree he should be replaced

Only an idiot would sack the manager after 1 game after allowing him to sign 9 new players just before that

ok, so you want to judge after 10 games or so, that's fair enough, in fact everyone has different thresholds for acceptable failure, what I don't get is what makes it unacceptable for others to come to the conclusion earler ie. last season?

Let's say you want him out after 15 games but others make excuses for more time and others try to keep you silent on the topic and in the end your team get's relegated - for me this was last season! That's just for me - you might be different and that's ok but, it really p1sses me off that people with pro thorn opinions try to hammer those who berate him for his shortcomings

Just my 2 cents

Nonleagueherewecome

Just to check Clarrie, do you really think we should sack the manager after two games, one of which we won, one of which we drew? Or are your views based on the fact that you've already made your mind up about Thorn based on last season? Either way, sacking the manager 2 games into the new season is unreasonable and unrealistic. Lose the next two, then you might have a case.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think this is accurate actually - as someone on here constantly refers to context - the context here was a poor performance following on from a poor season - if the defeat had been following a season in which norwich were promoted then the context would be different.
Yea it wasn't just that they lost 7-1. It was more that they lost 7-1 to a team deemed largely inferior to themselves.

However if they wanted to sack him because of relegation they would have done so in May and not August, I guess because of the result the club completely lost any faith they had in the manager previously

Sick Boy

Yea it wasn't just that they lost 7-1. It was more that they lost 7-1 to a team deemed largely inferior to themselves.

However if they wanted to sack him because of relegation they would have done so in May and not August, I guess because of the result the club completely lost any faith they had in the manager previously

There was already controversy surrounding his reappointment for their League 1 campaign, probably more so than amongst our supporters.

Gunn was a legend so was always going to get some slack. Sometimes it feels like a certain someone has a long affinity with the club, I just don't understand it.

Grendel

Just to check Clarrie, do you really think we should sack the manager after two games, one of which we won, one of which we drew? Or are your views based on the fact that you've already made your mind up about Thorn based on last season? Either way, sacking the manager 2 games into the new season is unreasonable and unrealistic. Lose the next two, then you might have a case.

Not unreasonable if you believe he is unsuitable. I mean if you are not convinced George Osbourne is good for the economy and were told stop complaining he has 3 more years would you stop complaining? No of course not. Unrealistic yes probably but I still am surprised that for a so called popular manager people were ringing CWR saying ditch him even after a creditable enough draw.

ClarrieB

I have made my mind up - he is incapable of delivering on his promises IMO and so I will just wait until his performance and results say it far better than my words ever could.

I am far more concerned that SISU are only to happy to keep him on until the fans demand otherwise - I believe that will come at Christmas time when it will be obvious we are not contenders for promotion - my worst fear is that we end up the wrong end of the table which i see as a distinct possibility.

There are however unknown quantities in the players now at the club but the most critical components of leadership are missing - to me at least.

SkyBlue_Bear83

ok, so you want to judge after 10 games or so, that's fair enough, in fact everyone has different thresholds for acceptable failure, what I don't get is what makes it unacceptable for others to come to the conclusion earler ie. last season?

Let's say you want him out after 15 games but others make excuses for more time and others try to keep you silent on the topic and in the end your team get's relegated - for me this was last season! That's just for me - you might be different and that's ok but, it really p1sses me off that people with pro thorn opinions try to hammer those who berate him for his shortcomings

Just my 2 cents
Well I guess it comes down to if you think Andy Thorn failed last season, the club failed but was that because of the manager failing and letting us down or the owners failing to provide him with sufficient resources.

If you rated last seasons squad as better than 3 others in the division then yes the manager failed us which is fair enough
If you rated the squad as among the 3 worse in the division then the owners failed us

Mucca Mad Boys

I have made my mind up - he is incapable of delivering on his promises IMO

There are however unknown quantities in the players now at the club but the most critical components of leadership are missing - to me at least.

What promises are you speaking of?

No leaders in our team - maybe try Kilbane & Wood? At a push Murphy, Thomas.

Well I guess it comes down to if you think Andy Thorn failed last season, the club failed but was that because of the manager failing and letting us down or the owners failing to provide him with sufficient resources.

If you rated last seasons squad as better than 3 others in the division then yes the manager failed us which is fair enough
If you rated the squad as among the 3 worse in the division then the owners failed us

I think we had a better team than Donny, but not better than Barnsley nor Brizzle (who should've been down there) and certainly not Pompey, judging by that, by should've came 23rd - which we did!

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Not unreasonable if you believe he is unsuitable. I mean if you are not convinced George Osbourne is good for the economy and were told stop complaining he has 3 more years would you stop complaining? No of course not. Unrealistic yes probably but I still am surprised that for a so called popular manager people were ringing CWR saying ditch him even after a creditable enough draw.

If Osborne was suddenly told the financial crisis is not as bad and you can make smaller cuts.
As much as I hate him even I would have to give him more than 2 weeks under the new circumstances, before concurring that he is still a posh pratt with a self serving plan.

Grendel

Not really. If you consider an individual lacks all qualities for the position he is in resources and results are an irrelevance - he is still unsuitable and will always fail to achieve. We could have the worst squad in the world - we still could have a manager unfit for purpose.

stringyb92

Thorn should of left last season, but he stayed so im willing to give til xmas. By that time we should know where we stand in relation to promotion. We definatly have the squad to do well this season!

He needs to change tactics, the diamond is boring me now! He needs to try something fresh or switch during the game, either way its not working.

Nonleagueherewecome

Any manager sacked after 2 games when unbeaten in a new season has a huge reason to feel hard done by: it doesn't happen.

As for George-sorry, bad analogy, I hate him more than you do AT. The red mist descends as soon as I see his name, little toad..

Nonleagueherewecome

Not really. If you consider an individual lacks all qualities for the position he is in resources and results are an irrelevance - he is still unsuitable and will always fail to achieve. We could have the worst squad in the world - we still could have a manager unfit for purpose.

I'm afraid that the decision to get rid of him last season wasn't taken and you're going to have to see how he does this season. Given that he was kept on, I'll repeat, it is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect he be fired after winning one and drawing one away game. I'd say the same if I felt how you do about him: give me a few weeks, maybe I'll be saying he should go, too? But not after two games.

woody11462

He might have that unpleasant stat but there are other major factors that played a major part in last season. He had the worst backing of a manager in terms of team investment I've ever known.

When last year started I thought then that we would be relegated with the squad we had. Add to that the sales of Turner and Juke and bringing in Cody (who I still think was second choice to ALF and was not fighting fit like ALF was) and a few loans it still looked bleak.

My opinion on Thorn, it's still undecided. Ive not been to as many games as most on here and his decisuobs during the game sometimes sound as if they ate not always the correct ones. Do I think he will get us promoted this year? Probably not. But I don't KNOW this and am willing to give him a chance as he has now had the opportunity to put a squad together to challenge.

Mo Konjic

Don't judge Thorn on last season, judge him ten games in.
This is now HIS squad of players and deserves to take some critism if it's looking bad a coupel of months in!

Sick Boy

Don't judge Thorn on last season, judge him ten games in.
This is now HIS squad of players and deserves to take some critism if it's looking bad a coupel of months in!

I thought people were saying how he was responsible for scouting every player in the history of the club? Now it turns out that none of the players were anything to do with him?!

Grendel

I thought people were saying how he was responsible for scouting every player in the history of the club? Now it turns out that none of the players were anything to do with him?!

We had better end this debate -- poor Gaz will be in a coma soon.

Gaz

Well you thought wrong then, didn't you.

Grendel

Sorry, I forgot only the successful players were thanks to him...even before he came to the club.

Including David Bell!!! :claping hands:

Users who are viewing this thread