Thorn is a MAJOR problem! (1 Viewer)

cov8791

After watching City play "football"?? garbage over the last 10yrs, we are so doomed with this individual.
Even with money restrictions there has to be a alternative.I know this post is repeated time after time again but Thorn is not a MANAGER,has no real control and is clueless.

Astute

So we played better football before he took over?

Aim your anger at SISU. It is them that has decimated our club, and I still see no end to it.

What decent manager would come to us with a small squad of mainly young players, in Div3 and with the embargo in place. Then put on top of all of that still run by SISU

tippex9

This forum is getting like a merry go-round of blame Thorn - blame SISU - blame player - blame stadium - blame fans - blame Hoff - blame Keys...... Yadda yadda yadda...

Even more depressing than actually going to the Ricoh over last few years....

Yawn

Astute

So who thinks SISU are not to blame for our predicament then?

cov8791

Astute,i am not angry at Thorn just dont understand the position of him been called the Manager of Coventry City Fc,what does he manage?or did he manage?Total joke and the players under him next season,where do they find their inspiriation from?.......his team talks?

Grendel

Astute,i am not angry at Thorn just dont understand the position of him been called the Manager of Coventry City Fc,what does he manage?or did he manage?Total joke and the players under him next season,where do they find their inspiriation from?.......his team talks?

It's a dead debate - even I can't be bothered to argue anymore.

dongonzalos

Wish these meetings had to be held on TV so we all really knew the truth.

If SISU are the only option go with them, but try and get the terms and conditions right.

AT and the managerial situation just seems a bit down the pecking order to me right at this moment.

I think whilst people are discussing meetings that will determine the future of the club that is the focus. Trying to influence those terms and conditions if we can. However I am not sure we can.

It is hard at the moment to talk about managers when the club are releasing players and have us under an embargo. That is unless are youth team really are better than seasoned professions in league one. I guess we will soon find out.

Nonleagueherewecome

Last edited:

Macca

Agree its pointless. Sisu and thorn come as a package. Until they go he will be manager. Until this god awful regime are history there really is no point getting excited

So we played better football before he took over?

Aim your anger at SISU. It is them that has decimated our club, and I still see no end to it.

What decent manager would come to us with a small squad of mainly young players, in Div3 and with the embargo in place. Then put on top of all of that still run by SISU

His results prove that he is the man for the job.....oh, shit he's won 12 games from 58....playing great football....I'm confused...:facepalm:

Some claim that he is the man to lead us out of L1...still waiting for the evidence of this.....:thinking about:

If our football was so great, why did we win 9 games all season and were one of the lowest scorers????

He's here for the start of the season, unfortunately, so we're stuck with his 'tactical and motivational genius'....I'll give him 10 games and see where he has got us.....bottom half and the pressure has to be on

Grendel

Of course they are...but with any issue there are several causes.

SISU are the major reason, but AT is out of his depth.

Of course SISU are to blame. It is funny I guess that they are slated for everything (and will be when Keogh leaves) except for the managerial appointment which to some was a stroke of genius. Useless board, hopeless players, extending contracts to the worst players but shrewd managerial apointment?:facepalm:

Nonleagueherewecome

His results prove that he is the man for the job.....oh, shit he's won 12 games from 58....playing great football....I'm confused...:facepalm:

Some claim that he is the man to lead us out of L1...still waiting for the evidence of this.....:thinking about:

If our football was so great, why did we win 9 games all season and were one of the lowest scorers????

He's here for the start of the season, unfortunately, so we're stuck with his 'tactical and motivational genius'....I'll give him 10 games and see where he has got us.....bottom half and the pressure has to be on

Well. to quote you on the radio a few months ago, "There's no point blaming Thorn, the players just aren't good enough". Hmm?

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Of course SISU are to blame. It is funny I guess that they are slated for everything (and will be when Keogh leaves) except for the managerial appointment which to some was a stroke of genius. Useless board, hopeless players, extending contracts to the worst players but shrewd managerial apointment?:facepalm:

I'm pretty certain they appointed him despite their plans to hire someone else. There were a lot of people saying "it'll be a disgrace if he doesn't get the job and they bring in another has-been". If you think back, the majority of fans wanted him to get the job due to the fact he had turned a terrible team around. If the board had stuck to their promises last close season, we'd have had a lovely Franchise Player to keep us at least in the division. But they didn't...blame them, not the manager who had sod all to work with.

But people will blame the manager, as it's the easiest, most knee-jerk thing to do. It often makes this forum un-readable, which is why I don't want to have the debate all over again.

sky blue john

KD I don't remember seeing any posts saying it was a shrewd managerial appointment but if thats what you want to believe !!!
I believe he was never given the tools to do the job and whilst Sisu are in charge you could be manager and I wouldn't give a flying feck !!!!!
Obviously once or if the shisters go then thats the time to review this discussion.
If it was a straight forward choice of change the manager or get a new player I would take the new player.
KD its also easy to say get rid of the manager !! but your not coming up with solutions. Give me some names if you can of realistic available managers who would be banging down our door to manage us in the third tier of football that would also work for the same sort of money or a little bit more than AT. Also would be happy just to take a years contract ? :D
ps get LBB and Ichan to help you out with this conundrum.

Tank Top

Hi Fellas
Although thorn led us into relegation, there's nothing to sugest any other manager would have been more successful working under the restraints that he worked with,In fact it could be strongly argued that Thorns style of football eclipsed that of any other Manager wev'e had at the Ricoh, this includes the high profile Chris Coleman, who's style bored me catatonic.
Our demise centers purely on the failure of Sisu/Finance, who's business plan, imploded after about a fortnight after Takeover,It should be clear where the Fault lies, i really cant understand the confusion.

Grendel

KD I don't remember seeing any posts saying it was a shrewd managerial appointment but if thats what you want to believe !!!
I believe he was never given the tools to do the job and whilst Sisu are in charge you could be manager and I wouldn't give a flying feck !!!!!
Obviously once or if the shisters go then thats the time to review this discussion.
If it was a straight forward choice of change the manager or get a new player I would take the new player.
KD its also easy to say get rid of the manager !! but your not coming up with solutions. Give me some names if you can of realistic available managers who would be banging down our door to manage us in the third tier of football that would also work for the same sort of money or a little bit more than AT. Also would be happy just to take a years contract ? :D
ps get LBB and Ichan to help you out with this conundrum.

I saw plenty of supporters wanting his appointment. I believe SISU were looking at Mark Robbins but cannot confirm.

Anyway your defence is hardly robust is it. No one wants it, no one could do better etc. There would be applicants who have better experience and the general qualities required to man manage and motivate. These will be League One and League Two level but that is what we could do with - a manager with some experience and who sees this as a career opportunity not just another payday.

Truth is SISU and Thorn are intertwined at the minute because a new manager would want a better working arrangement than Thorn expects. That is no bad thing - his stay prolongs the problems.

Grendel

Hi Fellas
Although thorn led us into relegation it could be strongly argued that Thorns style of football eclipsed that of any other Manager wev'e had at the Ricoh

Admittedly I have edited the quote but come on....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Marty

Sisu, Thorn & the players all have to take a slice of the blame, Sisu for the lack of funding, Thorn for playing a formation which didn't suit the players or failing to change things when they needed to be done, The players for having nothing about them and going missing when we needed them.

I didn't want Thorn in charge to begin with, I still don't want him now, but we are stuck with him, nothing we say or do will change that. To say that nobody would have done a better job is completely untrue. Who knows what would have happened? We could have been relegated at Christmas or we could be Champions.

sky blue john

I saw plenty of supporters wanting his appointment. I believe SISU were looking at Mark Robbins but cannot confirm.

Anyway your defence is hardly robust is it. No one wants it, no one could do better etc. There would be applicants who have better experience and the general qualities required to man manage and motivate. These will be League One and League Two level but that is what we could do with - a manager with some experience and who sees this as a career opportunity not just another payday.

Truth is SISU and Thorn are intertwined at the minute because a new manager would want a better working arrangement than Thorn expects. That is no bad thing - his stay prolongs the problems.

KD your argument doesn't stand up unless you can back this up with names of managers !!!
You can't just say league one and two managers without saying who in particular !!
Will these so called managers take a one year contract ?
Are they currently out of contract ?
Will we need to pay their club a fee ?

Sick Boy

Backing Thorn, yet detesting SISU doesn't make any sense, if he is such a great manager then they should be applauded for having the vision to appoint him and sticking by him.

At the end of the day, if any takeover was to happen then Thorn would certainly not remain manager for long.

Astute

I can see why SISU gave him the job as manager. He was cheap, available, had us playing our best football for years and most of the fans wanted him. He took a team that was heading for relegation and only lost 2 out of the last 10 games to make us safe. If we had not kept him it would have been another Eric Black moment.

Against his appointment was lack of experience. Then on top of this came a squad not big enough and most of the experienced 1st team players were lost and not replaced. A disaster in the making. I am not saying AT was the best man for the job, but how many would have been happy if he had not got the job when he did? Now he has a hard seasons experience. He has experience with the way SISU work. Lets see how the season starts before the knives come out again. If he had been given the tools to do his job I would be at the front of the queue for his head.

So who will be to blame if we don't sign enough players for this season after losing even more from last season when we didn't have enough then? If he gets to sign the players he needs and we are not near the top then it would be time for him to go. Until then he has my backing, but that would be whilst keeping an open mind on the situation.

cheever

Well. to quote you on the radio a few months ago, "There's no point blaming Thorn, the players just aren't good enough". Hmm?

Even if LBB did say that, are you really stating that the manager has no blame to shoulder? Hmmm????

If you are, then why have a manager...as AT serves no purpose in your argument...it's all about the owners, and the players on the pitch.

In February/March, when all the transfer dealings had been done, and we had what we had, then it was down to the players to carry out Thorn's instructions/tactics and be motivated by him. After a game, you have to look at players and their contribution...or does that have no bearing on what has happened...success or failure????

Now the season is over, let's reflect...

Players? Let us down.

Tactics? That good we failed to win any of our last 6....against the so-called 'easier' teams.

Motivation? The lack of early goals in each half/slow start to games on the back foot, particularly at home show how fired up 'the lads' are by AT.

Good football? That good that we had a 18% win ratio last season.....THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE FFS!!!! :facepalm:

Over to you to give some evidence why AT is THE MAN to lead us out of L1......:thinking about:

Last edited:

Grendel

He will play the best league one football ever seen at the ricoh.

Astute

Even if LBB did say that, are you really stating that the manager has no blame to shoulder? Hmmm????

If you are, then why have a manager...as AT serves no purpose in your argument...it's all about the owners, and the players on the pitch.

In February/March, when all the transfer dealings had been done, and we had what we had, then it was down to the players to carry out Thorn's instructions/tactics and be motivated by him. After a game, you have to look at players and their contribution...or does that have no bearing on what has happened...success or failure????

No the season is over, let's reflect...

Players? Let us down.

Tactics? That good we failed to win any of our last 6....against the so-called 'easier' teams.

Motivation? The lack of early goals in each half/slow start to games on the back foot, particularly at home show how fired up 'the lads' are by AT.

Good football? That good that we had a 18% win ratio last season.....THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE FFS!!!! :facepalm:

Over to you to give some evidence why AT is THE MAN to lead us out of L1......:thinking about:

I am glad you only see the evidence that you want to see.

Things were looking good towards the end of the season. Then we had to play brizzle. They changed most of their players. We had to play injured players as our small squad couldn't cope anymore. The fault of AT?

Most of us agree that we had a poor start partly due to AT's lack of experience. This is the same experience he now has. Also down to losing our 1st team during the closed season and replacing them with academy lads. Experienced managers failed after being given what they wanted, not having everything they needed taken away.

As it goes I have had enough of debating with people that can't see past the end of their noses. Shout for what you want. I hope you still want him out if he gets to sign enough players so he has the tools he needs and we are at or near the top of the table.

If a squad is given next to nothing in investment (one that was already struggling I might add) why would anyone on here not expect a league position that reflects that?

Nonleagueherewecome

Now the season is over, let's reflect...

Players? Let us down.

We did play good football. And I see you haven't refuted saying that it was pointless blaming AT on CWR yet have you, LBB? Oh I'm sorry, it's Cheever today, right? :whistle:

skybluehugh

the majority of fans wanted him to get the job

I was not one of them. He got the usual new manager syndrome results and I still believe that if we had got a new manager in Feb we would still be in the Championship next season

The Reverend Skyblue

I am sick to death of this subject. everyone on here must have now given there view wether Thorns up to the job.
I agree totally the main problem is SISU and they have bought great shame on to this once great club.

It does'nt matter if the team is a great one, or totally inept, its how the manager asks his team to play that i feel needs to address asap. Thorn's sideways football grates with me, sideways pass to sideways passs, back sideways, then sideways, then Hussey or whoevers playing Right fullback, punts it aimlessly forward.

These tactics, and the team being unfit is purely down to Thorn, and just as importantly Harrison, the team being good enough does come into it, he tells the players what to do and what he expects of them during the game, and i feel the instructions they get when they go onto the pitch are far to negative. Let the young lads have a go and run at there defenders, pass forward and be brave take risks but only in the right areas, give the crowd something to shout about

Yes i know if you have good players you can play better football, but Thorn & Harrisson are not getting the best out of this squad, and they are far to negative which puts the opposition straightaway on the front foot

I feel Harrison is the main man behind these tactics, and thats why i would rather keep Thorn for now, but get rid of Harrisson now, promoting Carsley to first team coach, as he has experience and has played at the top level so he knows the modern game well. Harrisson first to go and if it does'nt improve by Christmas then Thorn must go.

my opinion only

The Rev

Grendel

We could just sack both of them and end the debate. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread