This WMCA / Reeves Stuff / Plot to oust Lucas (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Just saw this (I know, it is from yesterday but hadn't seen it posted)

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...ether-175k-salaried-council-chief-reeves-job/

So they are hiring somebody to cover for him when he does stuff for the West Midlands Authority.

Coun Lucas said: “Of course he is going to be able to do both roles. Do you think I would have allowed him to be considered if I thought he couldn’t?
“For the last 18 months Martin Reeves has been working 18 hour days doing the two jobs anyway. It’s just formalised now.

How do they get away with the bullshit?

Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Gibson's perm

18 hour days? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

he probably worked one long day and she thought it was a regular thing, a massive part of that will be networking which is just a fancy word for standing around chatting to fellow self importnant nob heads.

Terry Gibson's perm

Does that effect Reeves though?

No idea don't really know how local government functions but I guess if his handler is out of the way.

These wages are totally out of control he gets nearly as much in pension contributions as I earn

chiefdave

I don't know how they get away with this kind of thing. You wouldn't get it in a regular job.

Imagine going to your boss and saying you've taken another job so won't be at work all the time but still expect to get your full salary!

Nick

Administrator
I don't know how they get away with this kind of thing. You wouldn't get it in a regular job.

Imagine going to your boss and saying you've taken another job so won't be at work all the time but still expect to get your full salary!

Imagine telling your boss completely wrong figures for the business, then them announcing them to the public...Then them bigging you up for a promotion and lying to the public about not needing a replacement...

chiefdave

Imagine telling your boss completely wrong figures for the business, then them announcing them to the public...Then them bigging you up for a promotion and lying to the public about not needing a replacement...

Lucas on the radio this morning "you know me well enough to know I am very straight in what I say". I presume she's not referring to when she kept banging on about it being a disgrace teams not playing in their home city or that ACL was 'washing its face'.

Nick

Administrator
Lucas on the radio this morning "you know me well enough to know I am very straight in what I say". I presume she's not referring to when she kept banging on about it being a disgrace teams not playing in their home city or that ACL was 'washing its face'.

Or that she wouldn't allow him to take the job if he couldn't do both...

what did she say on the radio?

Nick

Administrator
I doubt anything will happen, it will go the ethics committee who just then deny all knowledge.

Terry Gibson's perm

I doubt anything will happen, it will go the ethics committee who just then deny all knowledge.

It will be fine if it goes to the ethics committee it will be headed by Lucas and Reeves and they will say he is doing such a good job take a payrise instead but make sure you sack a couple of cleaners to balance the wage budget.

I am starting to like les reid as he has become a total pain in the arse for this lot at the council.

Nick

Administrator
It will be fine if it goes to the ethics committee it will be headed by Lucas and Reeves and they will say he is doing such a good job take a payrise instead but make sure you sack a couple of cleaners to balance the wage budget.

Then blame it on SISU.

How much dodginess like that can actually go on before somebody gets the boot?

The council’s website failed to notify taxpayers and voters that an acting chief executive had been appointed, or update senior management roles, and there was no public or media announcement via the usual press release.

One source also said some are questioning whether the appointment breached the council’s protocols, as the decision taken by Mr Reeves and Coun Lucas did not go to the Labour group, let alone to the full council of democratically elected councillors.

Philosorapter

I guess asking the Labour group for their input would be populist. :whistle:

chiefdave

Interesting. Lucas does increasingly seem to run things along the lines of a dictatorship. When you have other councillors finding out things like the appointment of a stand in chief exec from the media that can't be a good thing.

The lack of transparency is noticeable as well. They routinely find excuses not to answer FOI requests on certain subjects such as the sale of ACL.

Terry Gibson's perm

You would think that a Labour person would be gutted to be compared to Thatcher but in her case I doubt it.

typical that is no private companies renting space in their council castle at the station what a shocking waste of the public money again.

duffer

If you're getting 200k/p.a. to work for CCC, then the very least I'd expect as a taxpayer is that you work full-time for CCC. I'd like to know if the WMCA (West Midlands Combined Authority) who he has been moonlighting for, have been paying the equivalent value of his time back to the council.

Alternatively if (as has been claimed by Lucas) Reeves has been doing double-shifts then it's also pretty obvious to me that he can't have been at his best at either job. I couldn't care less about the WMCA, but I expect the Chief Exec of Coventry City Council to be sharp and alert every day for his 200k. There are plenty of other jobs in the council where you simply wouldn't be allowed to do this.

Basically it sounds a lot like Lucas is running Coventry like a personal fiefdom, where she brooks no dissent and feels free to shortcut due process. That is entirely inappropriate for a democratically elected representative, regardless of which political side of the fence you're on.

Nick

Administrator
If you're getting 200k/p.a. to work for CCC, then the very least I'd expect as a taxpayer is that you work full-time for CCC. I'd like to know if the WMCA (West Midlands Combined Authority) who he has been moonlighting for, have been paying the equivalent value of his time back to the council.

Alternatively if (as has been claimed by Lucas) Reeves has been doing double-shifts then it's also pretty obvious to me that he can't have been at his best at either job. I couldn't care less about the WMCA, but I expect the Chief Exec of Coventry City Council to be sharp and alert every day for his 200k. There are plenty of other jobs in the council where you simply wouldn't be allowed to do this.

Basically it sounds a lot like Lucas is running Coventry like a personal fiefdom, where she brooks no dissent and feels free to shortcut due process. That is entirely inappropriate for a democratically elected representative, regardless of which political side of the fence you're on.

I think it was said he was doing 2 days a week for the WMCA.

253 working days in 2016 - It's just the £790 per day if you use £200k as an example.

£1500 a week, £6k a month, £72k a year. (Calculator) :)

So, if he did it for a year, the council is paying him close to 3 times the average salary to work for somebody else!

chiefdave

The bit in the article about the local labour party members not getting to choose candidates as pro-Lucas candidates are being brought in from other areas is quite worrying. That certainly shouldn't be allowed.

chiefdave

So, if he did it for a year, the council is paying him close to 3 times the average salary to work for somebody else!

Doubt very much WMCA are paying that back, Lucas was on the radio a while ago spinning it as being to the cities advantage to have him doing both jobs.

Grendel

She admits coventry council are paying. She said in a cwr interview it's vital to have coventry represented to a big share of the big budget and that he's working extra hard.

She also said she is working extra hard and of course "you know me i am always straight"

She seems remarkably arrogant. She said in the interview that the last time she came on she was in the women's toilets at coventry station and no doubt her electorates were wondering why she was discussing council business in a public place.

I would imagine if anyone did see her they would have assumed it's another example of British rail as they'd have guessed she was the bog cleaner and was on the phone talking shit instead of cleaning it.

chiefdave

She also said she is working extra hard and of course "you know me i am always straight"

I'd forgotten that bit. Shame the presenter didn't mention her insistence that ACL was 'washing its face'. Seem to recall when she was found out on that she blamed the information provided by the councils representatives at ACL, one of whom would have been Reeves. Anyone else would have faced disciplinary action for such a huge error but nothing ever seemed to happen.

SkyBlueScottie

My ward is the recipient of a Lucas Loyalist. Therefore it's a no from me. The way she gained the job was pretty disgraceful and since then has tried to fill other roles with loyal support ers to strengthen her own position. Also with the contempt she shows the residents of this City when interviewed is astonishing.

Captain Dart

My ward is the recipient of a Lucas Loyalist. Therefore it's a no from me. The way she gained the job was pretty disgraceful and since then has tried to fill other roles with loyal support ers to strengthen her own position. Also with the contempt she shows the residents of this City when interviewed is astonishing.

I may have to vote Tory for the first time in my life to keep the Labour guy out in my Ward.

I feel a bit sick to have to do that, but I think at this point tactical voting is necessary (I wasn't going to vote Labour anyway, but I'll have to use my head to vote for the credible opposition rather than go with my heart & vote for a candidate that will poll low).

martcov

Just saw this (I know, it is from yesterday but hadn't seen it posted)

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...ether-175k-salaried-council-chief-reeves-job/

So they are hiring somebody to cover for him when he does stuff for the West Midlands Authority.

How do they get away with the bullshit?

I am an employer in Germany and my staff are not allowed to work more than 8 hours a day on a regular basis and not more than 48 hours a week in total. If I admitted to employing people for 18 Hours a day ( including for another employer ), I would be in real trouble and be fined heavily. Is it different in the UK?

Last edited:

chiefdave

I am an employer in Germany and my staff are not allowed to work more than 8 hours a day on a regular basis and not more than 48 hours a week in total. If I admitted to employing people for 18 Hours a day ( including for another employer ), I would be in real trouble and be fined heavily. Is it different in the UK?

Yes it is different here. Most of the remaining workers rights in the UK come from the EU as they have been removed by our own governments.

When the working time directive came in, which is what you are referring to, the UK negotiated an exemption so that people could 'work the hours they want' which of course translates into be forced to work more than 48 hours.

fernandopartridge

Either way duffer, CCC are paying at least once. If they've brought in cover they're paying twice, twice for one job.

Users who are viewing this thread