"This is what you could have won!" (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueMatt

Watching MOTD tonight and the Cardiff game has got me thinking, how things could have been different if we hadn't had completely inept owners.

Turner - Cardiff - Premiership
Gunnarson - Cardiff - Premiership
Westwood - Sunderland - Premiership
Best - Newcastle - Premiership
Bigirimana - Newcastle - Premiership
Fox - Southampton - Premiership

And these are just a few that I can think of over the past few years as well as we could have had Henderson if we had the funding...

fernandopartridge

Sisu brought in 3 of those players and Bigi only came to the fore cos of the cost cutting everybody hates.

The story about Henderson is a myth.

JimmyHillsbeard

Sisu brought in 3 of those players and Bigi only came to the fore cos of the cost cutting everybody hates.

isn't it 4; Gunnarsson, Westwood, Best and Fox? And yes I think the Henderson story is a myth (as is the 'we could have had Andy Carrol' fantasy - mostly put about by an ex-chairman.

L

longjohnskyblue

No coincidence that these players were around when a certain Ray Ranson was chairman and they were sold around the time he left!

His plan was credible and working - then sisu's greed or panic took over! Certainly when I spoke to Henderson (when they had that open day) He stated that he enjoyed his time here and was not offered a contract!

bigfatronssba

So you know more about Coventry City's transfer policy circa 2009 than the incumbent chairman at the time? Interesting.

lordsummerisle

We had all but the youth player(Bigi), playing in the same team and barely finished outside the relegation places with them in the team, plus Dann as well.

Not foregetting that Best doesn't play for Newcastle in the Premiership now, and hasn't for over a season since getting transferred to Blackburn, and I don't think Bigirimana has even appeared on the bench in a Prem game for Newcastle this season.

Are you sure you were watching Match of the Day last night?

lordsummerisle

i think the point is they sold them............

Some let go for nothing, and others sold for virtually fuck all.

Reasonable people understand that we will need to sell players, but hopefully for a reasonablr profit which can either be plowed back into new players or reducing losses.

These sales(or non-sales), made no sense whatsover.

Whoever the Chairman was at the time should be shot.

Sky Blue Kid

lordsummerisle.........One of the very few posts that you've made where you haven't talked total shyte.....well done!

Sky Blue Kid

summerisle....re-read my post....I said One of the very few posts that you've made where you haven't talked TOTAL shyte. RR was "VETOED" by Igwe when it came down to keeping players....Such a pity that he knew fuck all about football when it came to selling or even "Letting players walk"

Mucca Mad Boys

We're a selling club, always will be, always have been, regardless of ownership (unless some oil-rich Arab/Russian takes over and we become like Man C).

Some players left because we were a stepping-stone for their career, e.g. Westwood (rumoured to be on 30k p/w!) and Gunnar, who weren't ever going to sign a new contract we could afford, without being financially reckless. Others, prices we got were good, 3.5-4m for Dann was an acceptable price, same with 1.5m for Fox (maybe 2.5m max) and they were replaced with Wood an Hussey, players perceived to have potential to exceed the other 2 by Thorn and Ranson (speaks volumes of them to).

Ben Turner was disappointing to lose, but I feel Thorn wouldn't have started him, he seemed set on Cranie and Keogh, only speculating here! Would explain explain relatively low price we sold him at.

But financial situation cannot be underestimated, our finances were a mess (still are and have been for as long as I can remember) and therefore, we couldn't afford to demand 'top dollar' for our players as we could if were financially stable/secure.

I hate ifs and buts, but for Southampton fans have it worse:

Bale
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Walcott

blend

We're a selling club, always will be, always have been, regardless of ownership (unless some oil-rich Arab/Russian takes over and we become like Man C).

Some players left because we were a stepping-stone for their career, e.g. Westwood (rumoured to be on 30k p/w!) and Gunnar, who weren't ever going to sign a new contract we could afford, without being financially reckless. Others, prices we got were good, 3.5-4m for Dann was an acceptable price, same with 1.5m for Fox (maybe 2.5m max) and they were replaced with Wood an Hussey, players perceived to have potential to exceed the other 2 by Thorn and Ranson (speaks volumes of them to).

Ben Turner was disappointing to lose, but I feel Thorn wouldn't have started him, he seemed set on Cranie and Keogh, only speculating here! Would explain explain relatively low price we sold him at.

But financial situation cannot be underestimated, our finances were a mess (still are and have been for as long as I can remember) and therefore, we couldn't afford to demand 'top dollar' for our players as we could if were financially stable/secure.

Bale
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Walcott

You're right ifs and buts don't really work for me either. The combined transfer fee for those 3 players was £30-35m. Also you forget to mention that Southampton were one of the biggest spenders in the last transfer window spending £36m. If you're going to use examples at least don't just pick out the bits that are convenient to your argument. Granted all these players have gone onto far more once they've left Southampton but they hardly sold them for a pittance given their age and experience at the time.

The fans of CCFC have been shafted for many years, and particularly over the last couple. We are a million miles behind Southampton currently.

lordsummerisle

summerisle....re-read my post....I said One of the very few posts that you've made where you haven't talked TOTAL shyte. RR was "VETOED" by Igwe when it came down to keeping players....Such a pity that he knew fuck all about football when it came to selling or even "Letting players walk"

We should definitely thank Igwe for saving the Academy from Ranson's plans to close it down then?

Nice to see that you agree.

stupot07

The bale, ox and Walcott scenario is a bit of a red herring, all of the big clubs were after them meaning hot competition for their signatures pushing the price tag up considerably.

blend

A complete red herring I agree, incomparable. To say Southampton fans have had it worse is at best laughable.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Bale
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Walcott

Saints fans have it worse...? I take your point which is I think in they have it worse in reconcilling players they have lost with the potential positon they could be in if they had kept them..... but it could also be argued that Saints are in the premier league because of the sale of those players?.. ifs and buts I accept. meanwhile back in league 1 Northampton...?

Sky Blue Kid

summerisle....I don't agree at all. I thought your post was about letting players go "On the cheap" or for nowt??? now trying to turn it about the academy?!?! See what I mean about you talking shyte?

SIR ERNIE

Saints fans have it worse...? I take your point which is I think in they have it worse in reconcilling players they have lost with the potential positon they could be in if they had kept them..... but it could also be argued that Saints are in the premier league because of the sale of those players?.. ifs and buts I accept. meanwhile back in league 1 Northampton...?

Saints are in the premier League and spending £36m because Rupert Lowe refused to sell to SISU.

bamalamafizzfazz

Bale £7M
Walcott £5M (potentially up to £12M)
Oxlade Chamberlain £12M (potentially up to £15M)
Potentially nearly £30M on three players. Yeah Southampton have it worse.

What about Sturridge as well? I know it was the previous regime but it's so short sighted. We get feck all as he moved from Man City for free (compensation aside) but moves to Liverpool after for £12M and we see nothing.

Mucca Mad Boys

The bale, ox and Walcott scenario is a bit of a red herring, all of the big clubs were after them meaning hot competition for their signatures pushing the price tag up considerably.

I've been misunderstood, it weren't a direct comparison, I'm just saying imagine if they could've kept those players, there's a reason they couldn't keep those players... Bale was sold for 5m, now apparently worth 85.4m.

Mucca Mad Boys

A complete red herring I agree, incomparable. To say Southampton fans have had it worse is at best laughable.

The comparison was about quality of players lost, not a comparison of the clubs overall. As I'd rather be in their situation than ours...

Users who are viewing this thread