This beating will be harmful (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Sheepy

I don't think it is, the players seemed more appreciative of the fans than say Shrewsbury for example. We played well on the attack and took game to Arsenal. We created good chances, but our style cost posession and Arsenal were deadly on counter - exploited lack of pace still but I still saw an improvement

Astute

I think this game will have an effect on our players.

We just got beat 6-1 by a team who's players would get into nearly every Prem side. We were not outplayed at any time. We were unlucky not to go in at half time level. The difference between the two sides was the finishing. We had the commitment from the players. 90 mins effort. The SBA was fantastic. Outsung the plastic Arsenal fans all the way through the game. Was great to see all of our players applauding the fans at the end of the game. No player had a bad 90 mins.

Our new players all did well. McGoldrick to come back. Robins as new manager. I can only see positives. If they can play like that against Arsenal they can do it against just about anyone. I think we have now reached the corner we need to turn. For those that couldn't make the game I have never seen our team lose heavily before when the fans were happy with the performance. It didn't deserve the scoreline. It was nothing to do with fitness. We attacked from the start of the game until the end.

There is one thing I would like to know. WTF is the problem with Cody?

Covstu

Let's face it we were stuffed and could have been more but they were a fantastic side. We all thought they would play a kids side but they went all out for this game, however we gave them a good game in the first half (although I think they had another gear). We need to move on and build on the good work ethic shown here.

coundonskyblue

I think if last night proved anything its that the fans will still applaud the team off regardless of the scoreline as long as they see effort.

Will it have an effect on the players? Only time will tell. I do think however those on here who criticise others for pointing out our weaknesses last night are wrong. Regardless of who we are playing there are always lessons to be learnt. Mistakes made by players last night (no matter how few) should be reviewed and acted upon.

Black6Osprey

I think if last night proved anything its that the fans will still applaud the team off regardless of the scoreline as long as they see effort.

Will it have an effect on the players? Only time will tell. I do think however those on here who criticise others for pointing out our weaknesses last night are wrong. Regardless of who we are playing there are always lessons to be learnt. Mistakes made by players last night (no matter how few) should be reviewed and acted upon.

Its all about expectations. No one really believed we would pull off an upset and the majority went to just enjoy the experience last night, so a decent performance with lots of effort was always going to get the fans applauding. I'm afraid the same effort and a 6-1 defeat at Oldham would see a very different reaction. I don't agree with it but that an unfortunate fact.

We lost 6-1 to the Arsenal B team. A bloody good Arsenal B team but lets not get too carried away. It shows how starved we are of success when we cling to the positives in a 6-1 defeat. I am optimistic we are close to getting it right but you never know with City and it could all go horribly wrong on Saturday again. Interesting Robins is favouring the good old two banks of 4 which is so out favour with the fashionable types and according to some has no place in modern football and yet no one has mentioned it at all.

ccfcway

Its all about expectations. No one really believed we would pull off an upset and the majority went to just enjoy the experience last night, so a decent performance with lots of effort was always going to get the fans applauding. I'm afraid the same effort and a 6-1 defeat at Oldham would see a very different reaction. I don't agree with it but that an unfortunate fact.

We lost 6-1 to the Arsenal B team. A bloody good Arsenal B team but lets not get too carried away. It shows how starved we are of success when we cling to the positives in a 6-1 defeat. I am optimistic we are close to getting it right but you never know with City and it could all go horribly wrong on Saturday again. Interesting Robins is favouring the good old two banks of 4 which is so out favour with the fashionable types and according to some has no place in modern football and yet no one has mentioned it at all.

If they put the same effort in against Oldham, we wouldn't lose 6-1

Last nights effort would not have resulted in the same defeat against Shrewsbury, thats the problem

LilleSkyBlue

As a League One side hoping to be competitive, we shouldn't be losing 1-6 to anyone really, maybe Barcelona or a full-strength Man Utd / Arsenal on a particularly bad day for us. Whichever way you look at it it's an absolute stuffing.

If reports on here are correct about the players seeming more up for it than usual, that at least is a good sign for the next league game but I still think it's a terrible result.

LilleSkyBlue

Each to their own Lille but (presuming you didn't go as your going by reports and in here), Arsenal were top draw and most expected any less!

Arsenal had enough first framers in there who could easily make it into Prem sides.

Okay, that's reassuring I guess. I feared that kind of result but thought something around 1-3 might be a reason for optimism.

I didn't go, no. Should've got the Lille-London Eurostar line but it costs a bomb.

Baginton

This will kill the confidence, yes I never thought we would win but this is a disaster and will kill us badly. Robins has the hardest job on earth

I hope this is a wind up, or you are seriously deluded.

We played a VERY good Arsenal side, with some of the best players curently playing in the country and for an hour were still in the game, only fitness and pure class seperated us then.

We have a team of strangers with several new loanee's, yet we looked alright...

and atleast from block 26 we were the 12th man.

A lot of positives from last night, if you can't see that I feel sorry for you :facepalm:

Astute

So the vast majority of people that think we were poor last night were not at the game :facepalm:

It was a good performance against world class players. The main difference between the two sides was the quality of the finishing. It was also not down to fitness. We had a few decent chances towards the end of the game. If we had the same quality of finishing as they did we would have scored a few goals. We are 3rd Division. We do not have the quality of Arsenal. Bloody hell. Arshavin, Ox, Walcott...in fact their whole team were top quality. When they made their 3 subs all I could do was laugh. We can only dream about players like even the subs. We were not outplayed at any time though.

Grendel

The answer to the question is of course no - it makeds no difference to our season whatsoever.

There are many instances where teams including us have come back from defeats like this (and this was expected). Others have been hammered as well in the cup in this round and Southampton let 6 in at The Emirates the other week.

What will harm us far more is if we do not get a League win soon. Away I am always apprehensive and MK Dons at home Tuesday looks difficult.

Robins in bringing 4 players in has already said what he thinks about some of the new additions. We still lack a consistent goalscorer and despite having more defenders than ever before on the payrol we still cannot keep clean sheets (not a reference to last night)

I just hope beyond hope they win on Saturday as if we do not that may prove far more damaging that the distration of yesterday.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I didnt go ......... and i dont like getting beat 6:1 ........ but i am inclined from the radio reports, comments here etc to take a positive spin from it. Had we lost in the cup 6:1 to a League 1 or even championship side i would feel differently. Arsenal as a squad are playing well, their team not all first teamers was still full of internationals or junior internationals, their youngsters are players we would be more than happy to have, the squad is full of confidence and all but a few places a gap of 3 divisions between us. The result was as expected we got beat, most expected a few goals conceded....... but the effort, the commitment attacking was better than recent expectations

The thing is I think it will have instilled more belief in our squad not less. They will take from this that they can compete, they dont have the same ability but they can compete, get stuck in, run for the team etc. They managed a goal against a team that is well organised and doesnt concede many at home. They played with a bit of pace and tempo in a team that had a few new faces. They got the taste of better things, they got the feeling proven that they are better than they have been. They had 8000 fans willing to back them. I think that there are a lot of positives to take from it.......... the proof though wasnt last night it will be this coming weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread