this 5G malarky (5 Viewers)

Gazolba

Definitely. I'd been in the Rocket pub on a boiling hot day and decided that I'd walk back to Bell Green via the canal towpath.
<snip> !
That's actually a beautiful walk if you are sober, the weather is good, and you have a camera with you.
I once walked all the way from the Canal Basin to the Greyhound pub taking photos all along the way.
I still have the photos if anyone is interested.

bringbackrattles

That's actually a beautiful walk if you are sober, the weather is good, and you have a camera with you.
I once walked all the way from the Canal Basin to the Greyhound pub taking photos all along the way.
Done loads of canal walks before and since that incident.Done all sorts of walking, canals, hills, and forests. Can't beat it !

publican1990

Let's have a gander then Gaz. Can't help but think a lot more could be made of the Canal basin tbh, nice little area with some potential. I suppose it suffers from being on the 'wrong' side of the ring road though.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Let's have a gander then Gaz. Can't help but think a lot more could be made of the Canal basin tbh, nice little area with some potential. I suppose it suffers from being on the 'wrong' side of the ring road though.

I agree. Using what Birmingham did with Brindley Place as inspiration they could've made this quite a destination with entertainment and dining next to the canal, possibly even with a bit of residential (which has been done to a degree with the student blocks).

But instead it was chosen to be a conservation area and even the planned access changes are being fought tooth and nail. I think some people want Coventry to just be a museum.

publican1990

I agree. Using what Birmingham did with Brindley Place as inspiration they could've made this quite a destination with entertainment and dining next to the canal, possibly even with a bit of residential (which has been done to a degree with the student blocks).

But instead it was chosen to be a conservation area and even the planned access changes are being fought tooth and nail. I think some people want Coventry to just be a museum.

What access changes are those mate? The bridge at the top of Bishop street is awful imo. Not exactly enticing for potential visitors.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What access changes are those mate? The bridge at the top of Bishop street is awful imo. Not exactly enticing for potential visitors.

Yes the plan to get rid of the bridge for at-level access via pedestrian crossing with people citing disruption to traffic flow and safety fears. Failing to mention that someone was seriously injured because kids were throwing chunks of paving slabs off the bridge. And the guy that died after trying to walk along the railings once while pissed and fell off. Or the guy that threw his wife off the bridge onto the road.

Last edited:

clint van damme

There was once a plan to but nothing came of it. A real shame.
A Brindley place style development would have been ideal

Users who are viewing this thread