Third of the way to safety (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

The Liverpool team of the 80s first target was to reach 40 points as quickly as possible , I’ll go along with that theory

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Anyone else no longer thinking about safety?
There’s always a team in this league that starts well then plummets in the 2nd half of the season. Let’s hit the 50 point mark then we can re-assess where we are.

great start, it’s going to be special if we keep it up

letsallsingtogether

There’s always a team in this league that starts well then plummets in the 2nd half of the season. Let’s hit the 50 point mark then we can re-assess where we are.

Spoil Sport😣

stevefloyd

Don't forget when the knuckle draggers get into full swing we will be playing on a ploughed pitch and our beautiful football will be temporarily lost for a while

hill83

Don't forget when the knuckle draggers get into full swing we will be playing on a ploughed pitch and our beautiful football will be temporarily lost for a while

Proper pitch this year. Done properly unlike the old one.

stevefloyd

Proper pitch this year. Done properly unlike the old one.
I hope so becuase Stans started ok but then with 2 teams playing on it it started cutting up and with the kick run and catch merchants abusing it I fear a little but wow the football, the battling for each other and the crowd support is exceptional the only thing missing atm is goals but hopefully they will start coming ....long may it continue

SBT

As MR has just said, one game at a time. Get to the magic 50 in good time and then the rest is what we make of it

I understand why MR is publicly managing expectations, but I think we will be setting our sights on a lot more than 50 points.

Forest are 14 points behind us, Derby will soon be 17 points behind us. The odds of us being relegated are tiny.

If nothing else, it’s much more fun to be focused on how high we can go instead!

Brighton Sky Blue

I understand why MR is publicly managing expectations, but I think we will be setting our sights on a lot more than 50 points.

Forest are 14 points behind us, Derby will soon be 17 points behind us. The odds of us being relegated are tiny.

If nothing else, it’s much more fun to be focused on how high we can go instead!

I agree, but the point is get safety in the bag as early as you can before thinking about pushing on.

SBT

I agree, but the point is get safety in the bag as early as you can before thinking about pushing on.

Do you not think we’d be approaching games differently if that was our mindset? When safety was our main goal last season we were set up quite conservatively in games where our main priority was not to lose (Birmingham and Wycombe at home etc). Worked great for us then, but they’d feel like huge missed opportunities now if we’re legitimately capable of a top 10/top 6 finish. We look great, we should go for it!

AFCCOVENTRY

Take each game as it comes and enjoy it. We’re not going to be in a relegation fight. Back end of last season we made teams above us look average.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Take each game as it comes and enjoy it. We’re not going to be in a relegation fight. Back end of last season we made teams above us look average.
Interestingly if you include the back end of last season, our last 16 games read 10 wins 1 draw 5 defeats, 31 points from 48. That’s nearly 90 points over a 46 game period.

I’ve watched us long enough now not to get too excited, but it’s really difficult at this point

Torquay Sky Blue

Both Cardiff and Middlesbrough would of beaten us last season purely by bullying us off the park. We've learned how to stick up for ourselves this season (that doesn't mean Dabo flying in both feet off the ground for whatever reason) and combined with the fact we can actually play football, things are happening for us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Do you not think we’d be approaching games differently if that was our mindset? When safety was our main goal last season we were set up quite conservatively in games where our main priority was not to lose (Birmingham and Wycombe at home etc). Worked great for us then, but they’d feel like huge missed opportunities now if we’re legitimately capable of a top 10/top 6 finish. We look great, we should go for it!

I've not phrased that well, sorry. Last season it was about just ending the season safe, this time get to the safety threshold quickly then push on. Robins did say this season was about 'having some fun' to be fair

Reactions: SBT

Sky Blue Harry H

tbf, even I'm starting to wonder if my prediction of 16th is pessimistic. We do have quite a shallow squad though.

I actually think we have quite a bit better cover than last season. Striker depth is another level compared to last season (that from a Max fan!) Midfield - now that Allen has stepped up, leaves us with Sheaf and Kelly in 'reserve' Rose / Kane as back up in defence. I'm happy. Others not even mentioned, such as JJ, Eccles, Shipley etc Provided a load of injuries don't happen together, I think we're ok - definitely more depth than last season.

Users who are viewing this thread