Things we found out tonight (1 Viewer)

oakey

1. Baker can really dazzle.
2. Hussey is not a lost cause.
3. Edgy... What a beast.
4. Brown is a decent centre back.
5. Kilbane is capable of a high level of fitness.
6. Ball is yet to convince as a centre forward.

Feel free to add...

matesx

Cody is very sharp

Elliot looks a decent player

whole team fab tonight

Hateley's Heed

Jasper Carrot, Mike Skinner, Rob McCracken, Barry '50 stone lard-arse' Austin, your boys took 1 hell of a beating.

SkyBlueGuy

*Cody knows how to get in to threatening possitions, and with the right service can score.
*Baker can put in some dangerous crosses
*Hussey CAN cross sometimes! (and defend!)
*Kilbane is not as poor as i feared he might be
*City can play with the ball on the floor AND be a goal threat!!:eek:

skybluegod

kilbane can score scorchers
elliot doesn't know when to stop running
baker is actually awesome when he wants to be
shaw is a good analyzer made good substations when needed and thought through who he needed on the bench tonight

thechase

I dont think we played a diamond today. It appeared to be 4-1-3-2 when attacking and 4-3-1-2 when defending. We definitely had width when defending and as a result Brum hardly got a look in down the flanks. Suited us much better and bodes well going forward.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Looked like a diamond to me for the majority of the game, when Mcsheff and Ball came on though I couldn't quite work out what formation we were meant to be playing

pusbccfc

Block 14 creates more atmosphere

shepardo01

......Brown is probably on a must play loan deal....
Although better tonight was still questionable for both goals (yet to see tv replays so will wait to be corrected) which in total puts him at fault for 4 out of 5 goals conceded at home this season.

The team do have fight in them....the best battling performance I have seen in a long time...

Baker is a decent footballer....more please Carl...

Christie is still not fit.

Kilbane is fit.

Elliott looks like a very good signing....ran his socks off for 120 mins...

You can enjoy a City game!!!!!!

Mucca Mad Boys

It was the diamiond! Not 4-3-1-2 nor 4-1-3-2, besides they are basically the diamond!

superskyblue

Baker was brilliant, just wish he had more of an end product because on nights like last night he would have set up 5/6. I guess if he was that good though he'd be playing elsewhere!

hill83

Certainly WAS the diamond. Thorn's team won last night. Sometimes the diamond works, sometimes it doesn't.

Are people actually claiming this as a Thorn victory then? His players, his formation?

Relentless.

I'm not buying it.

SkyBlueGuy

Baker was brilliant, just wish he had more of an end product because on nights like last night he would have set up 5/6. I guess if he was that good though he'd be playing elsewhere!

He did put at least 2 killer balls into the box which nobody attacked. (perhaps they were as surprised as we were! ;) )

Nick

Administrator
Are people actually claiming this as a Thorn victory then? His players, his formation?

Relentless.

I'm not buying it.

Definately not his substitutions else baker would have been dragged off for ncsheffrey!!!!

We also would have sat back and invited pressure!

hill83

Definately not his substitutions else baker would have been dragged off for ncsheffrey!!!!

We also would have sat back and invited pressure!

Exactly, hoping somebody else would mention this.

thechase

It was the diamiond! Not 4-3-1-2 nor 4-1-3-2, besides they are basically the diamond!

When Thorn played the diamond he had no wide players at all. Last night both Kilbane and Barton played as wide midfielders, especially when defending. It may have looked similar but it definitely wasnt the diamond formation we played. Brum played 4-1-3-2 and we matched it up.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Thorns diamond was narrow with no.forward movement of real note. Last night we played a wide variant instead - this gave the wing backs cover to run on - but also saw Baker and Kilbane push forward instead - letting the wing backs hold back to offer support or, god forbid, actually defend if called upon. Both Kilbane and Baker then scored. Also helps having Elliot drag defenders away, class player!

Diehard Si

I dont think we played a diamond today. It appeared to be 4-1-3-2 when attacking and 4-3-1-2 when defending. We definitely had width when defending and as a result Brum hardly got a look in down the flanks. Suited us much better and bodes well going forward.

I'm with you on this. How it looked to me. I think we had width, I think Jennings always played a little back and baker seemed to have a free role, but wasn't the diamond as we know it.

Let's not get caught up with labelling though. It clearly was fluid and seemed to work.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
For me it was 4 3 1 2 .......... call it a diamond if you must ....... but it was a flat diamond that did not leave a hole in the centre of the pitch for the opposition to play in, as was too often the case under AT. And we played higher up the pitch, with tempo, and defending from the front. Any system succeeds or fails on the the players effort and commitment together with the understanding on the touchline

What we learnt
- that the players are in the squad to excite and win games
- that the squad was/is fit ......... the failure to play 90 minutes out so often was clearly down to other factors ... mental toughness well not on last nights display ............ lack of belief - perhaps after so many defeats losing becomes a habit .... or was it some other reason?
- That pace and tempo are important ..... you will threaten other teams by making them work harder and thereby increasing pressure and mistakes. Pace and tempo are essential
- That getting the ball forward quickly does not mean hoofball .... we can pass the ball forward quickly especially if there is good movement up front.
- that we have fullbacks that can get forward ...... they dont have to stop with a nose bleed if they get to half way and pass it back
- that sometimes the ball has to be cleared with distance and not try to play it out
- that there is a right time for everything it is all about the players making the right decisions at the right time and having the confidence to do it
- we have players that can use their left foot

of the players
- carl baker can produce against decent (any) sides if he is given the space and confidence - put in a Taarabt type performance but with self control and defensive work too
- our full backs can get forward at pace and can cross a ball, I thought all three used did well
- cody and elliott might be small but if their movement is good that compensates and they will be a threat
- Brown is certainly a centre back not a full back
- The edge is not a typical european player he is willing to go through walls for the team and does it with no little skill
- Jennings is the best option we have had in ages to play the holding role
- Barton will be a class player who will pull the strings
- Kilbane still has the energy to play full games and contribute in many ways (including well taken goals)
- Murphy is more assured behind a committed energetic side that does not sit back on the penalty area

Not making this into AT bash but there was a positive attitude about the place last night with a manager clear in what he was doing and expected, Shaw seemed to communicate well before during and after the match, he kept it simple with enthusiasm, was attuned to making changes and why, was in control of the team and himself..... all things i feel were a clear contrast to AT

I think there was a lot learnt last night ........... and it just illustrated how mediocre and confused we had become ......... it is only one game but it was such a difference and restored some pride in the team we love

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread