Things that don't happen nowadays (1 Viewer)

JulianDarbyFTW

Apropos of nothing, I was wondering why don't you hear about footballers swallowing their tongue nowadays - it seemed to be quite a big thing in the 90s. And then I wondered what else used to be a regular occurence in football that you don't hear much about these days - there's the more obvious ones like defenders becoming makeshift strikers or outfield players having to play in goal, but are there other things you can think of?

Finham

Back passes that get picked up, followed by a roll out to the defender, then a back-pass that gets picked up, etc.

Calista

Fullbacks carrying out a horrifying first-minute assault with a bone-crunching flying tackle that almost dumps the opposition winger into the crowd, and nobody batting an eyelid because it's the normal way to start every game.

Finham

It would be a straight red nowadays, but back then it was called 'letting them know you are there' :LOL:
Remember when commentators would say in an astonished tone-after what would now be a straight red-"Oh, the referee's shown him a yellow card!!!"

Sbarcher

The Bovril man with his sky blue tin on his back.

Sky Blue Harry H

Goalkeepers wearing hats when the sun is blinding them (watching Ben Wilson holding his hand up to shield his eyes in games used to annoy me - put a fecking cap on son, problem solved), Was convinced he'd end up conceding as a result of losing sight of the flight of the ball.

Terry Gibson's perm

People crowding around the only person who had bought a programme to find out the half time scores as it just used to say on the scoreboard match an and the score(for our younger people).

SkyBlueSam01

Apropos of nothing, I was wondering why don't you hear about footballers swallowing their tongue nowadays - it seemed to be quite a big thing in the 90s. And then I wondered what else used to be a regular occurence in football that you don't hear much about these days - there's the more obvious ones like defenders becoming makeshift strikers or outfield players having to play in goal, but are there other things you can think of?

Its actually a complete myth that you can swallow your tongue so thats that one explained 🤓

SkyBlueSoul

The starting lineup wears shirt numbers 1-11.
Unsurprisingly Sean Dyche and Burnley were the last to do it in the Premier League a couple of years ago, even in their correct positions. (Well, correct for 4-4-2. Don't think we'd see even him playing a 2-3-5)

Mail Sport on Twitter: Burnley's starting XI today wear 1 ...

rhino1002

Unsurprisingly Sean Dyche and Burnley were the last to do it in the Premier League a couple of years ago, even in their correct positions. (Well, correct for 4-4-2. Don't think we'd see even him playing a 2-3-5)

Mail Sport on Twitter: Burnley's starting XI today wear 1 ...'s starting XI today wear 1 ...
Interestingly the last premier league team to play with 11 English players in their line up lost 4-1 to Coventry City in 1999 and it was ASTON ViLLA

Users who are viewing this thread