Their Red Card (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

I thought the red was right as the potential and intention to put his foot down the back of Maatsen’s planted foot was there. It’s high and from behind, which anyone that’s played knows can be dangerous when you can’t see it coming.

From memory, Bowyer was a good player in his time at Leeds and a battler but committed some horrible fouls. Remember him stamping on a Valencia player’s head in the Champions League, which is as bad as it gets.
I think he also took a red for the team and was a combination of what had gone before including the potential last man tackle on Gyokores and no doubt he would have found out about the penalty claim at half time

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I only saw the pre-match interviews with the managers but Bowyer sounded like an absolute moron there. The guy struggled to put a sentence together.

The team really reflect the manager there.

Certainly after the interview with Robins I came to the same conclusion. I even said to myself at the time how we had to beat a team with such a buffoon like that in charge. As you said, he could barely make any sense with what he was saying.

steve cooper

One of the most cynical and dirty sides I have seen for a long time. Sanderson was almost as bad, I can't find a replay but i'm sure he deliberately elbowed Gyo in the face when they were challenging for a long ball. The ref missed an obvious penalty on Gyo as well.

Last edited:

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Dirty bunch of shits, Woods may not have been 'last man' but it was a totally blatant lunge from a dangerous position so i really dont see how an appeal will succeed. Hopefully the ban gets extendes. Gutted we couldn't beat them.

chiefdave

Can't see it being overturned. If it was the other way round we'd have been moaning on the night but once you saw the replay you can't really object.

Doesn't it have to be an obvious error to win an appeal? Would only really work if they were claiming it wasn't a foul at all. If they're admitting its a foul then not sure they'll get far arguing over if it should be yellow or red.

Terry Gibson's perm

Can't see it being overturned. If it was the other way round we'd have been moaning on the night but once you saw the replay you can't really object.

Doesn't it have to be an obvious error to win an appeal? Would only really work if they were claiming it wasn't a foul at all. If they're admitting its a foul then not sure they'll get far arguing over if it should be yellow or red.

They will try to use the not the let man rubbish.

Porkchophill

I think the fact he was so far behind maatsan , and was a full blooded swing at the player justified the red and took away the need for him to be the last man . 100% no chance of making contact with the ball , but a high % of injuring the player

Brighton Sky Blue

I didn't get how that kind of dissent isn't an instant yellow. If you give a yellow out when that happens it won't take long before people stop doing it.

I sent people off if I got sworn at, to be honest. There’s dissent and there’s being plainly abusive.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Thought the red card was deserved, Birmingham were at it all night and the ref had had enough.

If Birmingham had played fair and with respect then they probably get away with a yellow card for that one.

I'm sure I saw robins telling the ginger twat what he thought of him on the way out as well

Nick

Administrator
Amazed by the 2 guys on skysports.Morrison and Phillips sayingit should have been a yellow and he was only taking one for the team.....ex pros defending cheating ...fairly typical sadly

The thing with that is taking one for the team would be pulling his shirt or just tripping him.

Studs on the calf / knee height at the back of the leg is a different story.

Liquid Gold

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I thought it was never a red card. He didn't intend to hurt him (or "endanger" him or whatever), he just wanted to trip him, which he did. Nuclear meltdown on here if it had happened to one of our players.
That was his intent but he actually made a really bad foul so although I agreed with you initially on second watching the ref got it right.

FWIW though I would like to see all cynical fouls that are designed to stop a break and make no attempt to get to the ball made red card offences.

Brighton Sky Blue

Apparently I'm in the minority, but I thought it was never a red card. He didn't intend to hurt him (or "endanger" him or whatever), he just wanted to trip him, which he did. Nuclear meltdown on here if it had happened to one of our players.

Balances out the hack on Gyo at Blackburn in my book

SeaSeeEffCee

The one on Gyokeres by Sanderson felt more of a red in the ground, but don’t think Woods has much to complain about it really, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think the way you have to look at it is an accumulation of twat tax. I find it hard just to focus on that one incident alone.

The guy was a bellend the entire time he was on the pitch and deserved to walk.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Glad I’m not the only one 😂 that being said - I also weren’t surprised about not getting the penalty. They never get given

robbiekeane

That was his intent but he actually made a really bad foul so although I agreed with you initially on second watching the ref got it right.

FWIW though I would like to see all cynical fouls that are designed to stop a break and make no attempt to get to the ball made red card offences.
Same here. I commented on the match thread saying that wasn't a read but looking at it back he tried to kick maatsen with his studs and it was relatively high too. Wasn't a case of just tripping

stupot07

I'm not convinced it was a red. Looks bad in the still, but you see that foul every single game and its always a yellow.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Legia Sky Blue

Glad I’m not the only one 😂 that being said - I also weren’t surprised about not getting the penalty. They never get given

I reckon the penalty would have had a good chance of being given in the PL under VAR. Swings & roundabouts I guess though as in the same circumstances we wouldn't have got Godden's penalty against Fulham.

As for the red card I can see both sides of the argument, but on a wider note for football's sake it would be better if refs started sending players off like this when going to ground and fouling a player when obviously making no effort to play the ball, particularly when there is the current anomoly where players can be and are sent off even when winning the ball in a tackle, but when that tackle is deemed to be out of control.

MalcSB

I think the intent was to kick the front of Maatsen’s leg, which could have caused serious injury, but he mistimed it/Maatsen going to fast for him and he missed his target and clipped the back of Maatsen’s leg. He swung his foot full pelt at Maatsen - deserved the red for intent.

Users who are viewing this thread